The Hobbit

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just got back from The Battle of Five Armies.

Better than the second movie, I would say, for keeping faithful to the book. You still have Legolas and she-elf and Azog the named orc you can't forget still exist, but the people who were actually in the book were where they were supposed to be, doing what they were supposed to do, with the correct motivations. For the most part.

So, didn't drive me as crazy as the second movie did.

We also get an interesting scene with Galadriel.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Planning on checking it Monday.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Seeing it tonight.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

3rd is pretty good.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

If you toss away the battles and montages, this movie is barely watchable. Even if you include those, there are half a dozen places where I said, "The hell?"

During one scene (you'll know it when you see it), one of the people I was with quipped, "Wow. You think Kevin Bacon's going to show up now?"

"If he does, I'm fucking walking out."
Leisher
Site Admin

The Hobbit

Post by Leisher »

Finally saw The Hobbit and enjoyed it. Definitely not in the same league as the original LotR trilogy, but still good.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

The Hobbit

Post by GORDON »

They changed from the books way too hard, for me. I've never watched it a second time, not even the extended editions.
thibodeaux

The Hobbit

Post by thibodeaux »

I watched the first one. Hated it. Haven't bothered with the next two.

A love triangle for God's sake.
GORDON
Site Admin

The Hobbit

Post by GORDON »

Yep. Fucking ridiculous.

And then they split up the lucky 14 in Laketown. What the fuck.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Hobbit

Post by Leisher »

Second one was meh to ok. I thought the scene with Smaug and Bilbo could have been much, much better. Smaug did not come off as being a very wise dragon.

The dwarf king is straight up a dick. Aragorn he is not.

The love triangle thing is pretty stupid. Action is good though. I have no idea who half the dwarves are, but I'm annoyed by the lack of a body count. Makes the story seem less important when nobody is dying.

The scene with the key was terrible movie making.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

The Hobbit

Post by Leisher »

Third one was ok.

The fight at the end between the dwarf king and the orc was really stupid.

The eagles are the LotR equivalent to the hyperspace attack in SW:TLJ. Simply story breaking.

The whole dragon disease thing was dumb as fuck too.

This was a trilogy that was only entertaining in that it's linked to a universe I know. It's basically the SW prequels. Some entertainment, mostly a shadow of the original despite better effects (yet somehow worse in many places), and overall unnecessary.
thibodeaux

The Hobbit

Post by thibodeaux »

The 3-d 60fps version looked TERRIBLE. The cg was worse than Rogue One and Superman's Moustache combined.