Godzilla: King of the Monsters

As long as we recognize Lucas is washed up and most TV sucks, we'll all get along fine.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Very confirmed.

Names mentioned at SDCC 2014: Mothra (boo!), Rodan (meh), and King Ghidora (FUCK YES).
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Vince

Post by Vince »

Way to strike while the iron's hot.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Too bad there are only like 3 talented, hungry directors out there.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Godzilla 2

Post by TheCatt »

I was about to ask if he ate at Taco Bell, but wrong end.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Godzilla 2

Post by GORDON »

Someone put on a little weight.
Leisher
Site Admin

Godzilla 2

Post by Leisher »

I was going to bash the politically inspired voiceover, but after watching the trailer I have a feeling it might be a swerve.

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Does anyone know if this is the same Godzilla/storyline from the last movie?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Does anyone know if this is the same Godzilla/storyline from the last movie?
What do you mean? That they'll find some monster, accidentally wake it up, and then Godzilla has to come save the day?

The trailer makes it sound like humans need to wake the titans to save themselves and the planet. However, based on the "You're a monster" line I'm thinking it's a swerve.

My prediction is the woman tricks humans into waking the monsters hoping they'll destroy the Earth. Bonus points if she's an alien. (All the old movies had aliens constantly trying to use the monsters to take out humanity.)
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

i mean, is this the same godzilla who fought the MUTOs in SanFran.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: i mean, is this the same godzilla who fought the MUTOs in SanFran.
Yes sir.

Ken Watanabe is in the trailer.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It better f'n be. I'm not doing different story lines any more.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

King Ghidorah looks fucking amazing!!!

GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I'm really looking forward to this, I'm going to try to take the kid after school, tomorrow.

Early review that I liked:
Just saw it. Godzilla 2014 is a kaiju opera. King of the Monsters is a kaiju metal concert.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have tickets to the 5 pm tomorrow at the mall.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

4pm at fallen timbers.

Interesting that every cinemark cinema now has assigned seats.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Interesting that every cinemark cinema now has assigned seats.
When I saw Endgame in Vegas there were assigned seats as well.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:
GORDON wrote: Interesting that every cinemark cinema now has assigned seats.
When I saw Endgame in Vegas there were assigned seats as well.
Cannot remember the last time I didn't have assigned seats at a theater. Must have been years ago
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Despite some ridiculous situations like Godzilla having amazing timing and humans surviving while titans, literally, battle and crash above them, it was good. However, not great.

Reminded me a LOT of the old Godzilla movies. The human plot is what drives the story forward, and they make it a bit more complex than it needed to be. There are good and bad humans, they do shit that affects the titans, yada yada yada. Just like the old movies.

They give a nod to old fans too that I'm certain went over the heads of new fans. Hint: It has to do with Mothra. There were actually quite a few things that were throw backs to the old movies, which was cool. None get in the way of the story.

There's a scene at the end that is simply BAD. It's 5 seconds long, but man does it fuck up the story telling in a big way. This cannot be understated. It is a colossal fuck up. I don't know what they were thinking.

Did they have to hire an actress that looked just like Elizabeth Olsen? I was confused for the first 5 minutes wondering who these people were and why I was supposed to care.

Curious to see Gordon's thoughts. I know he saw it tonight too.

It's worth seeing on the big screen just because they're titans, but without that I'd say it'd be a must see only when it was available to rent. UNLESS you remember all the old films fondly. If that's the case, this is like a walk down memory lane.