John Carpenter

Audio Tawk
Malcolm

John Carpenter

Post by Malcolm »

Is touring. I may have to drop some real cash on this one because you goddamn better believe I'm getting the kick-ass ticket.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

John Carpenter

Post by Leisher »

Amazing he's still touring at his age. And here I thought all he did was make awesome horror movies!
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

John Carpenter

Post by Malcolm »

He's not 70 quite yet. Dude could not have picked a shittier venue for his show in St. Paul.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

John Carpenter

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote: I'm getting the kick-ass ticket.
Kick-ass ticket is had. It's the mega-zen tits one where I get some schwag, one piece of signed schwag, pic w\ John, and autograph time (2 items max). Now comes the difficult part, which is figuring out wtf to get signed. Normally, I'd think "poster" -- but that's the signed schwag, a tour poster. If I could get my hands on a reasonably priced prop from the original Halloween, I'd consider it. Then there are LP soundtracks which are appealing because he directed and composed for most of his flicks. They've also got the bonus of appealing to music and movie junkies. Problem is ... which one? The Fog? Halloween? Dark Star? Escape from New York? Big Trouble in Little China? Prince of Darkness? They Live? I mean, goddamn, how does one pick only two? I found some really nice, vintage Halloween records, but they're 7"ers, i.e. don't display as well.
Leisher
Site Admin

John Carpenter

Post by Leisher »

I was joking. John fucking Carpenter is legit touring? Amazing.

Isn't it swag?

I'd try to do something from Halloween and The Thing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

John Carpenter

Post by Malcolm »

"Swag" is more short for or associated with "swagger." "Schwag" is either crappy bud or merch given away as part of something else. Also, no bullshit. John is coming to the worst venue in all of St. Paul and I'm scheduled to see him.
Malcolm

John Carpenter

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: Halloween and The Thing.
Halloween's easier because he composed the music. Apparently, some other dude did the music, Enrico Morricone. If that name doesn't ring a bell, he was Sergio Leone's goto guy. Prince of Darkness has the bonus of being signable by Alice Cooper. I'd go They Live were Rowdy Roddy still around. I think it's logically going to be:

1. Halloween thing ... if I can't find anything cooler, the soundtrack LP would work fine, especially vintage. All comes down to what kind of version record I can find versus what version poster I can locate.

2. Same dilemma as #1, but with the additional rub of picking between: (i) Escape from New York and (ii) The Thing, which are generally thought of as his next "best two" flicks. Big Trouble in Little China is a close third. It's almost going to have to be the latter. Kurt Russell stars in both, but he's got a much better foil in Keith David. I think the second one is also the better of the two choices. Might not nab the composer's sig, but the director would be a guarantee plus Kurt and Keith are theoretically possible.
Malcolm

John Carpenter

Post by Malcolm »

Been on a John Carpenter vinyl kick. Managed to get "Lost Themes II" from a comic book guy who says John has an annual signing at his joint in L.A. As much as I generally hate the freaks there in that hopeless fucking hole they call L.A., I might be persuaded to hit it a few times as the dude approaches his eighth decade of life.