The Gathering

Audio Tawk
GORDON
Site Admin

The Gathering

Post by GORDON »

Again, I don't remember why this one ended up on my Amazon wish list, but it did.

I've been lsitening to it all evening, and I'm digging it. Just now I looked them up on wikipedia and I learned that the singer chick is a co-singer on a lot of Devin Townsend's albums... which I love. But I have no memory if I knew that at some point and that's why I put this on my wish list.

Anyway, they are a Dutch band, and here's what wikipedia says about them:
The Gathering is a Dutch alternative rock band, founded in 1989 by brothers Hans and René Rutten and vocalist Bart Smits in the small city of Oss, North Brabant.

The Gathering earliest releases were categorized as atmospheric doom metal with influences from death metal acts like Celtic Frost and Hellhammer. In 1998 with the release of their 5th studio album, How to measure a planet?, they had a major shift in musical style, with the group acknowledging the growing influence of shoegaze, post rock, experimental rock and the more ethereal sounds of 4AD bands, such as Dead Can Dance, Cocteau Twins, as well as Pink Floyd and Massive Attack; they expanded their sound, which acquired characteristics of progressive, alternative, and trip rock and gained success and recognition beyond the European borders. The group continue to expand upon the experimental nature of their music.

In August 2007 Anneke van Giersbergen left the group to focus on her solo project Agua de Annique.[1] On 12 March 2009, The Gathering announced that their replacement vocalist was Silje Wergeland (Octavia Sperati).

Their most recent album, Disclosure, was released on 12 September 2012.
I'm listening to "How to measure a Planet," and I'll be checking out some of their other stuff.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

The Gathering

Post by Malcolm »

Dead Can Dance? I'm intrigued.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
GORDON
Site Admin

The Gathering

Post by GORDON »

Got a couple more albums.

"Mandylion" is excellent. Here's the full album:

On my first listen of "if_then_else " (a very coder name). So far excellent. Here's that album

"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."