Meat Puppets

Audio Tawk
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

Are touring and coming through town in May. However, I happen to know one of the dudes opening for them on tour, so I may take this opportunity to guarantee 2-3 more signed records. The two brothers are still around, but they're on their third drummer.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by TheCatt »

Meat Puppet have never really done it for me. Backwater's alright, but Nirvana did Meat Puppets better than Meat Puppets did.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote: Meat Puppet have never really done it for me. Backwater's alright, but Nirvana did Meat Puppets better than Meat Puppets did.
Nirvana tends to be a hugely overrated band. If Kurt hadn't killed himself, they never would've achieved anywhere near the popularity they enjoy now. They would've had their time and then disintegrated when the inevitable took place: Dave's side project takes off and Kris goes into politics. Kurt would be playing 1-5K person gigs with two hired gun replacement musicians and putting out his tenth shitty album in a row to keep his and Courtney's drug habits going.

On a side note, think I've picked out my target vinyls. Now it's a matter of seeing how much I can knock off the prices.

The classic:

The latest two with the current lineup:

Last edited by Malcolm on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:
TheCatt wrote: Meat Puppet have never really done it for me. Backwater's alright, but Nirvana did Meat Puppets better than Meat Puppets did.
Nirvana tends to be a hugely overrated band. If Kurt hadn't killed himself, they never would've achieved anywhere near the popularity they enjoy now. They would've had their time and then disintegrated when the inevitable took place: Dave's side project takes off and Kris goes into politics. Kurt would be playing 1-5K person gigs with two hired gun replacement musicians and putting out his tenth shitty album in a row to keep his and Courtney's drug habits going.
Maybe you think this cuz you're a kid. They were pretty big when I was, you know, older than you.
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Maybe you think this cuz you're a kid. They were pretty big when I was, you know, older than you.
No, I remember when grunge went from "nothing" to "a thing." Nirvana was the grunge version of Muse: they've got a couple decent albums, several quality singles, and then a shit load of slow, whiny, soft, college douchebag guitar crap. When they hit, they hit big ... but 50-75% of single album past album the third just sucks.
Last edited by Malcolm on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by TheCatt »

They still out Meat Puppet the Meat Puppets.
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote: They still out Meat Puppet the Meat Puppets.
By fucking up "Lake of Fire" like they did "The Man Who Sold the World?"
TheCatt
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:
TheCatt wrote: They still out Meat Puppet the Meat Puppets.
By fucking up "Lake of Fire" like they did "The Man Who Sold the World?"
Out Bowie'd Bowie, too. You're reminding me just how great Nirvana is.
GORDON
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by GORDON »

Nirvana was fucking HUGE even before Cobain killed himself. They and Pearl Jam absolutely owned the American music scene for a couple years prior to that.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote: Nirvana was fucking HUGE even before Cobain killed himself. They and Pearl Jam absolutely owned the American music scene for a couple years prior to that.
Yeah, and they'd be right where Pearl Jam is now, making shitty music for the past decade and a half.
GORDON
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by GORDON »

Oh my bad, I thought we were talking about that time period we were talking about.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote: Oh my bad, I thought we were talking about that time period we were talking about.
For a couple years, Nickelback was really, really popular. It doesn't make it right.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Nirvana was fucking HUGE even before Cobain killed himself. They and Pearl Jam absolutely owned the American music scene for a couple years prior to that.
Yeah, remember that? Shame they actually sucked and we were all just sheep.

Seriously, every one of those covers on Unplugged is better than the original, although the Vasolines only slightly so. The other 5 kill the original. Bowie's version sucked. What the fuck is that coming in around 25s? Why's doing that to his voice? Cobain put emotion into each of those songs, and music into the Meat Puppets.
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

Vinyls arrived. Will be dropping them off Thursday.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote: Vinyls arrived. Will be dropping them off Thursday.
It's too late for Kurt to sign them, dude.
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
Malcolm wrote: Vinyls arrived. Will be dropping them off Thursday.
It's too late for Kurt to sign them, dude.
You mean Curt? No he's still quite alive.
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

Listened to their setlist by album. No new stuff. And Monsters is quite excellent. Like Alice in Chains meets the Misfits.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Meat Puppets

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote: Listened to their setlist by album. No new stuff. And Monsters is quite excellent. Like Alice in Chains meets the Misfits.
Did Nirvana step in and play?
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

No, it didn't feel Yoko'd Courtney'd up.
Malcolm

Meat Puppets

Post by Malcolm »

Good show. This dude was part of the second opening band and was cool enough to hang by the merch booth. This guy played bass for the first openers and stuck around. And this guy was also hanging in the green room. Fortunately, my buddy showed up and got me backstage so I could chat with all of them.