media collecting thread

Audio Tawk
Malcolm

Re: media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:I assume "destroy it" requires photo proof? Fake it. I doubt they CSI the evidence pics much, if at all.
I'm not sure at what dollar amount PayPal starts to care but I know this album would qualify as a class D fraud felony.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Apparently, replicating a label isn't that hard.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

So, after much thought and some intel, I've learned:

1) Considering getting both sides of both discs cleaned. "It's the only way to be sure."
2) I know a dude who can clean the disc for me, hell, I'll buy him new cleaning fluid if he needs it.
3) I know a dude who has professional grade image editing software.
4) 1-3 are relevant because ebay arbitration is a slow bitch.

Going to try to get a photo of a clean label and see if that's good enough. Otherwise, I can scan the damaged label and an undamaged one, he'll try to splice them together.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote:Apparently, replicating a label isn't that hard.
A buddy of mine helps run this this mag. Has some serious graphics software so I sent him a scan of a clean side 1 label and a damaged side 2 label. Asked him to try to do something with it. Goddamn, looks good.

Damage was some water marks and bleeding of the dark label ink into the white track listing text. Like the last pic in this dude's listing but worse. He's dropped his price damn near $100 trying to get rid of it.

Repaired:

Next steps:
1) Scale image to proper label size
2) Exact-o-knife that mofo.
3) It's impossible to remove the old label without killing the vinyl, so I'll have to settle for a sticker-like repair. It'll need to cover the old one precisely.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

In a hilarious twist of fate, I also know someone with the hardware to cut and size a label properly. I may make the replica label removable and only use it when I play the record. Otherwise, I'm hesitant to permanently fuck with original media, even superficial aspects.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Alrighty. Soon as I regain employment, there are things on my radar:

1) Dude on ebay has two more BotCon (Transformers) CDs. I think they'd complete my set but he wants about 2x the standard value. I may have to wait another month or two and hope no one bites before he's willing to see reason.

2) MC Chris is having something of a clearance on his back catalog vinyl, and is taking preorders on the new album.

3) Found someone with a copy of the only record ever put out by these dudes. Absurdly rare and in good condition, but the seller isn't in a hurry and we're about $25 apart. If it's sitting in a month, I might bump my offer a shade.

4) Waiting on the word for the M&G availability of Alice Cooper in October. If so, I have to waste some cash on 2-3 albums. What does one talk about with the godfather of shock rock?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I should catalog my small vinyl collection one of these days. It's about a foot long.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:What does one talk about with the godfather of shock rock?
Avoid politics and religion. Word has it, he got born again.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:What does one talk about with the godfather of shock rock?
Avoid politics and religion. Word has it, he got born again.
Noted. Short list of records I'd like to get inked (sticking to the solo works):

Singles:
Poison
He's Back (the Man Behind the Mask) ... maybe I'll run into Kane Hodder one day.

Albums:
Trash
Welcome to My Nightmare
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My fave albums from him are

Hey Stoopid
The Last Temptation
Brutal Planet

After that he went garage for a couple albums... puke.

Tell him to go back to the above era.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The LPs I want look expensive (one J-promo version of "Welcome to My Nightmare" is going for $500 plus). Might take a look at the others. Singles look cheap, and there's a $20-something J-promo copy available.
Fuck, I think I might get this one anyway, M&G or not. Hits plenty of bullet points for coolness (J-promo, sound track to a fairly important franchise flick, good cover art, way better than average B-side) and it's in decent condition.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Bought a UK copy of the "Poison" single (had the best cover). Also picked up the above J-promo copy of "He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)." Eyeing a clean US copy of "Welcome to My Nightmare" for $25ish and a US promo copy of "Trash" for $40-ish if the M&G happens. I am debating bringing my "Nightmare on Elm Street" box set, but I'm not sure.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Being a shade bored, I'm toying around with the idea of making something that'll combine REST APIs from a couple places:

1) Outlook (where my concert update emails live)
2) discogs

The barebones idea is something that'll tie upcoming shows with the album marketplace so I don't have to sift through both places manually to pick out things to buy and get inked. Like if Alice Cooper comes to town, it'll notify me of two unsigned singles of his I currently have or find the "best" albums available for purchase. Hell, it could even nag me about the best date to buy so they don't come late. The first two features I'd want to add would be input source aside from my email (official artist sites, facebook pages, etc.) and some way to ferret out the shows with M&G tix for sale.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hmm, wonder if pollstar.com would give me API access. That'd hit damn near everything.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

More posters to frame and hang:

1) The Adicts, signed.

2) Hannibal Buress, from his show (check it on Netflix, filmed at the bar my buddy tends). One of a handful of show posters he signed for the venue.

3) Summit Brewing poster. Kind of in this style (art deco and futurism, I suppose), but from the perspective of inside a bottling facility.

4) Signed and crushed Mythbusters poster because my idiot friend left it in the back of his fucking car for a week. Will do my best to flatten it out, but it's kind of heavy paper stock and there are definite crease marks.

5) Peter Hook and the Light 2016 tour poster, signed.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Before year's end:
1) get the Scream Bloody Gore boxset
2) pick up half a dozen rather rare versions of "Synchronicity" by the Police
3) finish off the Transformers the Movie set with the considerably cheaper singles and one moderately priced shape disc
Revised plan: I had my vinyl budget set for year's end (or up until I get gainful employment again) a few months ago, and I'm sticking to that shit. Since my shows for the year are done, I suppose I see it fit to use up the Paypal account and see how much I can pump back into the bank account after two record purchases the likes of which I don't know if I'll see again for a reasonable price any time soon.

I did manage to snag both of Death's "Scream Bloody Gore" box sets.

Letting the Transformers shape disc slide because they come on the market rather frequently.

Lined up a deal to get a variant on the rarest "Synchronicity" cover variant. If I have the good fortune to get that thing inked by all three members and wait until they die, that's $1K. In any case, it's a decent deal for something in that condition that's pushing 33 years.

The last disc on my hit list this year is the only release by these guys, mainly known for being an early Chris Cornell group. Chris still tours, and he's the sort of guy that does reasonably priced VIP tix in smaller venues. The others are all NW music legends in genres no one cares about.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote:More posters to frame and hang:

2) Hannibal Buress, from his show (check it on Netflix, filmed at the bar my buddy tends). One of a handful of show posters he signed for the venue.
Framing is done. Came out pretty well.
Would've like a bit more room between the title banner and the all-access pass, but close enough.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Three frames on order. That'll leave only the two weirdo size posters unframed.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Toad the Wet Sprocket, Fear 25th anniversary poster frame has arrived. Poster is a square 18" X 18". Best image I could find (ignore everything below the initial graphic):
I've got a couple affectations to put in the frame: signed VIP pass in upper left and ticket in upper right. One day, I'll spring for enough 12" LP cover frames and I'll pair this with the signed cover of this (still one of my favourite album cover pieces of all-time):
That looks vaguely Silent Hill.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Frame job in shitty, blurry quality:
I'm debating moving the pass and tic to the extreme upper corners, just barely keeping them visible to give the circular text more space. That'll wait until the poster flattens out after a month or so.