media collecting thread

Audio Tawk
Malcolm

Re: media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Toad and Hannibal posters are set on the wall. Two more frames should arrive this week. Fortunately, both posters to be inset are already flattened.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Mythbusters poster frame came in today. Except for one very noticeable spot, the fold marks aren't anywhere near as prominent as I thought.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote:Mythbusters poster frame came in today. Except for one very noticeable spot, the fold marks aren't anywhere near as prominent as I thought.
Mythbusters frame kind of fell apart and I had to return it. Fuckity fuck. Hope it's still on sale for $10. On the other hand, the Summit is framed and done.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Noticed I didn't have a shot of the Iggy poster.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Michael's has a lot of daily/weekly specials in their online emails. This week, it's 60% of any item and 70% off custom frames. Getting the WL2 shot done up proper and getting one of what'll be four 24" x 36" frames. W00t.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Picked up a signed Bob Mould poster. Damn, thinking I should just tile my walls with framed memorabilia. Also looking at getting a poster-sized reprint of "The Great Red Dragon" by Keith Parkinson. On the phone, too annoying to get URL but Google it. One of the most bad-ass illustrations I've seen.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Going to spring this week to get the rest of my 24" x 36" and 18" x 24" posters done ... maybe the 11" x 17", too. Then I need to make a push to get the LPs, EPs, singles, CDs, and wtf-ever done. The real bitch will be the picture discs. I'm not getting the physical vinyl signed, so it's always the covers. Those are almost universally generic plastic because they're there to show off the images on the records. I don't want to frame those, though. Perhaps I can get some high-quality printouts and affix them to a properly sized cardboard circle.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

All five of my 24" x 36" posters in crappy frames are now hung in slightly less crappy ones. 14" x 22" frame is ordered. The 18" x 24" ones plus 3 LPs are framed but not up yet. Maybe tomorrow. Place should have some decoration by the time I'm done.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

The old '86 Transformers movie spawned a cult following big enough to warrant yearly fan conventions in the '90s. At those BotCons, they offered variations on the flick's music (one's entirely piano, one's the whole movie score, another's got unused songs, another's a live concert recording, etc.) for sale on CD. Finally finished tracking down a pretty damned complete set of 5.

Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Technically not music-related, but since it's the "media" thread and we don't have enough music posts, why the fuck not. Found a 30-year old poster online of a piece that I first remember seeing almost that long ago.

I don't know what was up with manufacturing standards in the '80s, but holy fucking fuck. I've got several skinny-ass albums from that era made of wafer-thin vinyl and I have to handle them like fine china, god forbid I try to play one. This poster is no exception. The paper seems flimsy enough that it'd rip if you left it next to a fan on any setting besides "low." The dimensions are also weirdo at 24" x 31". Aside from those details, it looks bad-ass. Deciding between a red or gold frame.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

It appears I fubar'd hanging most my LPs the first go around and didn't get the 3M command strips 100% attached. Fortunately only 1 fell and it appears nothing was damaged, not even the crappy frame. Will be rehanging them bitches using proper technique. In addition to getting a custom frame for the KP Great Red Dragon, I'll be getting another standard 18" x 24" one for...

Also went through my vinyl collection and found at least another three frame-and-hang-worthy albums. In addition, I realized how undesirable cardboard boxes are for stacked storage situations. As such, I think I need to invest in 3 legit 70-LP boxes or the functional equivalent thereof.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Got a $16 laser level from the hardware store. Fucking hell. Should've done it a couple months ago. Makes hanging at least 5x faster.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Finally picked a frame for...

Going with a nice, red cherry wood with gold beads around the interior.

Should look awesome.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm wrote: In addition, I realized how undesirable cardboard boxes are for stacked storage situations. As such, I think I need to invest in 3 legit 70-LP boxes or the functional equivalent thereof.
Bam. I might pick up a couple on break at work tomorrow.
Malcolm wrote: Going with a nice, red cherry wood with gold beads around the interior.
Frame should arrive tomorrow.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Display cases and frames for drumsticks are a straight up ass rape. $130 plus shipping for a frame for a SINGLE fucking stick. I got a custom frame for a 24" x31" litho for that. How the fuck does displaying a 16" piece of narrow, beat-ass wood cost more? Same for drumheads. God fucking damn, what a racket. At least they've got size for an excuse.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Drumstick racks (2) : $21 w/ shipping
Decent UV plexiglass for display fronts: $21 + s/h
Board: maybe $5

Making a drumstick display case is about $30-35 if you do it yourself and have proper gear. You could sell each for $50 and still be cheapest with the highest quality. If you've got a 3d printer around (which I really want now), then the display rack cost goes away.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Michael's is selling a lot of their cheapo frames and display boxes for 50-70% off at some point this month. Definitely restocking on poster & LP frames and perhaps MacGyvering a couple shadow boxes to display drumheads.
Malcolm

media collecting thread

Post by Malcolm »

Picked up a couple shadow boxes for the Megadeth and Eve6 drumheads. Was vaguely interested to learn the latter took their name from an "X-Files" ep.