SWG - JTL - Anyone still playing it?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

Since I've been seeing all the coverage on the someday to be released expansion I was wondering if anyone here was still playing that game. I could almost see buying it when the expansion is out, videos look interesting at least.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

I will only consider rejoining after they put in spaceflight, and even then they'd better impress the hell out of me with a risk-reward system.

Risk, which there was absolutely none of when I last played.
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

At least from what I heard you can't lose your ship when you blow up but it will require massive repairs at the station to fix.... don't know if player shipwrights or npc can do all the repairing. I think you get ship upgrades from blowing things up in space and getting the phat l00t drops so no grinding on land for your xwing, which would work for me. When this comes out I will try it and once I get a decent ship I doubt I'll ever spend time on solid ground again... of course who the hell knows how long it takes to grind out a decent ship.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

So, what's the point of space combat if there's nothing to win? Yeah, you don't lose anything, besides having to make repais to your ship... which is a problem in itself. When is the adrenaline going to kick in when you aren't risking anything, ever?
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

It's hard to say what is a suitable risk since we don't know how hard it is to get a ship or how much the repairs cost to make... especially since the numbers will likely change quite a bit till release. Since I understand you get weapon upgrades from debris of destroyed ships maybe if your player craft blows up will lose those upgrades, don't know as no interview I saw touched on that it mearly said you won't lose the ship itself. Hell the joy of blowing up others in a twitchy refit of XvT is enough, hell I'm playing planetside and its got painless death :)
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

I think Raph is SWG's biggest handicap. He saw the pk's and looting in UO as a problem, and not the reason UO is still an exciting game.
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

Agreed, plus I think the combat in swg needs a serious overhaul. Never really got into the 3 different damage pools thing.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Zetleft wrote:Agreed, plus I think the combat in swg needs a serious overhaul. Never really got into the 3 different damage pools thing.
Heh, yeah, it always amused me to drop in the middle of a gunfight after 4 shots because of "mental fatigue."
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

Oh my goodness that stormtroppers' given me tha vapors
/southernbelle
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I will never be back to SWG.

The next MMO game I'm interested in is the one, whose name I'm forgetting at the moment because its weird, that my friend is part of the design team.

I guess it was shown at E3, not because the game is ready, but because the company that wrote their network code wanted to show it off. Picture this: ALL players will exist in the same world. No more shards.

I was promised some Beta slots, so when they are ready I'll let those of you know who are interested in trying something new out for free.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Zetleft

Post by Zetleft »

It wasn't Wish was it?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

GORDON wrote:I think Raph is SWG's biggest handicap. He saw the pk's and looting in UO as a problem, and not the reason UO is still an exciting game.
There's LOADS of other things that have castrated UO.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

Malcolm wrote:
GORDON wrote:I think Raph is SWG's biggest handicap. He saw the pk's and looting in UO as a problem, and not the reason UO is still an exciting game.

Such as?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It wasn't Wish was it?

No, its Glympse.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Such as?
Piss poor camera angles. Outdated interface. And, the BIGGEST thing that kills MMORPGs is the one thing that makes them...other people.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

mbilderback wrote:
GORDON wrote:
Malcolm wrote:

Such as?

Piss poor camera angles. Outdated interface. And, the BIGGEST thing that kills MMORPGs is the one thing that makes them...other people.
Ok.

You don't get to talk about UO because just you watched me play for 5 minutes once.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Actually, I saw UO played quite a bit. And everything I said was true. 3rd person POV is out with the 486. Now it's 1st person or bust. And UO shows us that people still say bust. Hell EQ is already bringing out EQ2 and UO is older than both...and in the PC world, old=outdated and bad.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

and in the PC world, old=outdated and bad.

Whoooaaaaa, cowboy. That might be true for hardware, but not software.

Half-Life is the better part of a decade old and its still better than just about every FPS made since.

Ditto for TA, but applied to RTSs.

Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, etc. are way funnier than games today with a few exceptions.

My point being that games may age in looks, but the gameplay and story is still there. Those factors don't age and that's why they can still be considered better than games made today.
mbilderback

Post by mbilderback »

Leisher wrote:
and in the PC world, old=outdated and bad.

Whoooaaaaa, cowboy. That might be true for hardware, but not software.

Half-Life is the better part of a decade old and its still better than just about every FPS made since.

Ditto for TA, but applied to RTSs.

Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, Maniac Mansion, etc. are way funnier than games today with a few exceptions.

My point being that games may age in looks, but the gameplay and story is still there. Those factors don't age and that's why they can still be considered better than games made today.
Well, yes and no. True that the last statement is incorrect, I still enjoy quite a few older games. My big issue is with UO's format. The gameplay style is outdated, that combined with its terrible graphics makes for a bad game that is in desperate need of being updated. True, UO still has a good following, and that can be used. I'm not saying ditch UO, I'm saying bring it in to the modern day.
71-1085092892

Post by 71-1085092892 »

You make the same logical error that a lot of game designers do, so don't feel bad: Pretty graphics does not equate to a fun game.

Not many folks out there still playing G-Police or Global Domination, even though they're gorgeous games.

One of the tenets of game theory is that you have to play the game within a set of parameters. Staw Wars Galaxies allows you to go anywhere in the landscape... but so what? I lost interest in that game when I realized I was wandering through the wilderness on autopilot, not paying attention to my surroundings, and using my crafting tool to turn lizard skin into tents. I realized I wasn't in any danger. Ever. And even on the off chance something (not someone) killed me, it just means my journey to the city I was heading to would be a lot faster, because I would "clone" there. With no loss of any items.

Zero risk.

Big, big yawn.

The graphics in the Monopoly board game haven't changed significantly in 50 years, yet people still play it a lot. But by your reasoning, it must be a crappy game because Scattegories was invented.

Edited By GORDON on 1085431457