Mobile games

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This thread is for reviews of games available for mobile devices like cell phones, blackberries, droids, iPhones, iPads, etc.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Stick Golf for the iPhone.

Cost - $0.99

Buy it right now.

A lot of fun in a very simple game. You are a stick figure playing golf in a 2D world where the golf course consist of lava, floating platforms, jagged obstacles, holes shaped like letters, etc.

You use one club, so there's no trying to figure out yardage.

So far there are 16 9 hole courses, 20-30 achievements, and two different modes: Easy (no wind) and Hard (wind). The wind drastically changes your strategy from hole to hole.

Simple, but fun.

For such a simple, low cost game, I'd have to score it at 9 out of 10.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Do you know of any good strategy games that play on a BB?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Have you tried Angry Birds?
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

You know, the old Infocom games like Zork would be brilliant on mobile phones.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Tower Madness - I have the free version, so I don't have all the weapons and maps and have to skip an ad whenever I start a game. I have spent MANY hours playing this game. It's free. Get it.

Robocalypse - The app store doesn't list it any more, not sure why. But it's an awesome RTS with a decent storyline. Then there are pretty good maps for skirmishes. Supports multi via local wifi (same router) or global via 3G. I have not played against other people. Only the AI. Really good game though.

Let's Golf - 3D golf with a few courses and decent character customization options. Supports multi I think. Don't know for sure as I've not tried it. They just came out with Let's Golf 2. I got Let's Golf when it was free.

Real Racing - Bought it at $1.99. Had the free version and was hooked enough that I wanted to have access to the rest of the cars/tracks/etc. Supports online type stuff, but haven't really messed with it. Am just doing races and unlocking stuff local still. Tons of cars/tracks/races. Very good driving sim. We're not talking Gran Turismo or anything. But, it's pretty close, for a phone.

UnderCroft - Got it free. Decent RPG along the lines of maybe Ultima 5 or so. You build a party of 4 characters and then go do missions and stuff. The world is kind of small, but it's good enough for killing time with your phone. Standard missions (go kill this thing, it took my whatever). Decent character leveling and options. It provides more depth than I would have thought a free game would have.

Dismount - You knock a guy down stairs, off of a high dive platform onto concrete, etc. The more you hurt the guy, the more points you get. You can import any picture you want. I have my ex-employee's face (imported from his ID picture) on the guy. So, it's fun to knock him around and hear his bones crack.

Civilization Revolution - I'm not a huge fan of Civ, but it was free, so I grabbed it. I played one game. From what I can tell, it's the console version ported over. The one game I played (easiest setting, default everything else) was on a very small world and was against 4 other people. I was underwhelmed. But again, not a fan of the series anyway and it was on the easiest settings. So, maybe a fan playing on harder settings would be more impressed.

Deamon Hunter - Top down shooter and you are killing zombies. You pick up weapons/ammo/health as you kill them. Pretty limited and straight forward. But, you get guns and you kill zombies until they spawn so fast that you lose. Good game play, but lacks depth. But, it was free, so worth getting.

Kids vs Zombies - Hard to explain, but more zombie killing action. You upgrade your weapons/hideout/etc as you go. I can beat it on normal, have not been able to beat it on hard. It was free and well worth having. I would have bought an expansion (more weapons/etc) had there been one. It didn't need an expansion. Just wanted to support the devs.

Donuts Games - They make a shit ton of time killing games. Most are based on sending something flying and they bounce off stuff to collect things. You have very limited control, but can affect the travel of the thing you sent flying (similar to bumping a pinball machine, if any of you are even old enough to know what that means). I have 4 of their games on my phone. It's one of those games that you say "One more level, and then I'm done" for about 20 levels, before you actually stop playing. It's because attempting a level takes about 10-25 seconds. Especially if you keep falling one or two collected objects short of the next level. "Damn it. One more try for those last two, then I'm done." Very simple and straight forward. But, fun. Favorites are 'Ruberth' (used to be called Rudolph), Jungle Crash, and Monkey Flight.

I have a shit ton of other games on my phone, but don't want to review them all. Above are the ones I play the most. The racing game is the only one I've paid for. Everything else on my phone was free. I have avoided paying for any games because finding free, REALLY good games, is too easy. Of the list above, if the free version stopped working, I would pay for:

Tower Madness
Robocalypse
Let's Golf
Kid's vs Zombies
and maybe UnderCroft

The rest of the stuff I wouldn't pay to play, but definately playable for free.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

GORDON wrote:You know, the old Infocom games like Zork would be brilliant on mobile phones.
Except I like my games to have graphics, even it's just a snapshot representing what the Zork text would be describing. Also, typing commands on the phone would get tedious and old.

I don't like texting, and I wouldn't like typing for the game either.

But that's just me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Tiny Death Star is Tiny Tower on the Death Star. It features tons of characters from the movies. Totally renewed my interest in Tiny Towers.

However...

It is the single buggiest iOS game I've ever played.

Beyond that, it seems like there's a strong effort underway by the developer to try and get some money out of players. Players are revolting on the iTunes store. I'll update when this has changed.

I'd still recommend it though for Star Wars fans. Good time killer, doesn't require you to sit and play it all day.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I downloaded this Tiny Deathstar game after Leisher had showed me it. i played the original Tiny Tower and was mildly interested for a few days but thought maybe this will be better..

Downloaded and said no to "send push notifications"...

Played for about 10 mins and got to like the second floor...

Same bullshit, BORING...

a few hours later Darth Vader tells me to come back and the Death Star needs me..

DELETE!!!

Why does it tell you to play thier game when you turn off this notification? bullshit! and i just cant get into any mobile games for more than 10 minutes, literally they all suck.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Same bullshit, BORING...

It's about being a completionist.

If you don't want to build the next floor to see what comes next, what new character might appear, etc. then it's not for you.

There are only three mobile games I'm playing regularly right now: Tiny Death Star, Fairway Solitaire (the single best mobile game in history, imho), and Nameless (an RPG-light based on hackers).

However, my phone has about one hundred games on it. Most are boring. Most are basically the same game with different themes. Some try to be console/PC level, but can't because it's a phone or tablet.

The Surface has mobile games that are far more in depth than any iOS offerings, but that's because it's an actual PC.

I NEVER pay for mobile games, but use apps like appsgonefree and Appoday to get paid apps for free. Of the countless ones I've downloaded, maybe 1% has been worth playing.

Fairway Solitaire
Tiny Tower and Death Star (appeal to me, the completionist)
Nameless
Some of the G5 object search games (one for free today via Appsgonefree 11/24/13)
Sword & Poker (no longer available)
Angry Birds before the power ups that ruined it
Sudoku 2
Trainyard (interesting puzzle game)
Subway Surfer (endless run game)
Jetpack Joyride (another endless run game)
Flick Home Run
Grand Par Golf isn't horrible
Super Stick Golf
PixelQuiz (cool concept for movie fans)
Plague Inc.
Tower of Fortune (slots with RPG elements...)
Antrim Escape is a trilogy of first person item searching/puzzle solving games

There are decent games out there. You just have to realize none will be as cool as a PC or console game because the controls suck. Then you have to find something that appeals to you.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I played tiny tower for a day or two, then it wanted my money, and got annoying, so I hacked it and gave myself lots of money, at which point there was no reason for the game to exist, and I was done.

Best games on all platforms:
Great Little War Game
Great Big War Game

Far and away the best I've played on mobile platforms. Has pvp as well if anyone else is interested in playing some day.

They are turn by turn PvC where you lead an army with various unit types trying to conquer the enemy. GBWG has 50 levels, with 3 difficulty level. Even hard isn't that hard, but it's hard enough to be fun.

There are then additional pvp maps you can use, and buy more.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Do they compare to the Advance Wars game series for Nintendo handhelds?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:Do they compare to the Advance Wars game series for Nintendo handhelds?
Based on 1 minute of googling and reading, I'll say yes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The Martian went free today on iOS, but is probably for a limited time. Seems to play like Lifeline, which makes sense considering Lifeline seems to be a ripoff of The Martian.
Leisher
Site Admin

Mobile games

Post by Leisher »

Archero is one that I saw tons of ads for, but never grabbed because it's an action game. Action games on touch screens are fucking horrible. (Yes, the curse word was needed.)

However, after seeing the ad about 974 times I decided to give it a quick look.

It's fucking awesome.

Long story short: You're a ranged weapons guy. You control your guy's movement and when you stop, you shoot. Shooting is all automated and the closest target is always prioritized. If there was a deeper story, I missed it. It's basically just dungeon crawling in search of better loot. Yes, there's a grind, but the action is fun so you won't mind.

All the dungeons are randomized, including the order in which boss fights occur, except the dungeon's last one. Beaten dungeons can be fought again, and there's a Hero Mode where the difficulty gets amped up.

The RPG elements have to do with your stats and equipment.

It's a free game, but of course the developer is trying to make cash. However, I haven't spent a dime and won't until prices drop. General consensus in reviews seems to be the game is great, but the devs are out of their minds with the pay stuff. For example, a two week battle pass is $4.99. That just gives you better loot for hitting certain goals in the number of monsters you've killed. You also get rewards for free, the pay ones are just better, but don't really improve the game. For a lifetime battle pass, I would consider $5. No way is it worth it for two weeks though.

There's also energy which gives you a bank of 20 and it's 5 energy to enter a dungeon. It refills on it's own and seems to do so quickly enough that I've never been out of energy. Hell, my run throughs last 5-15 minutes and if you think I'm playing more than 4 in any sitting you're nuts. Total non-factor.

Most importantly, the pay stuff is completely irrelevant. You don't need it.

Anyway, give it a look. It's fun.
Leisher
Site Admin

Mobile games

Post by Leisher »

Archero added daily challenges last night that really lower the grind.
Leisher
Site Admin

Mobile games

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

Mobile games

Post by Cakedaddy »

Hunt Royale

Have been seeing a ton of adds for the game, and they tugged at my heart strings a bit with the tag line "I had to pay for this ad. Please try my game." The other interesting thing was that they used a lot of the same art as Archero. So I gave it a try.

I like it a lot. Plays very much like Archero with the move/stop to fire. In fact, I'm betting there's a relationship between the devs because of the number of similarities, beyond using the same monsters. Here's a list if differences:

Larger map
Competing against 3 other players on the map for kills.
It's (mostly) PvE and you compete for the kills/XP.
At the end of the round (2 minutes) whoever has the highest score gets the most trophies.
Trophies earn you milestone rewards (gold/gems/chests).
The chests give you 'cards'. Cards are used to upgrade characters.
You can trade cards with clan mates. I'm getting a ton of cards for characters I don't play that I can trade for ones I do.
You unlock different champs as you play as well (random) with different abilities.
There are other play modes (death match, co-op). All of which earn you trophies based on score.

The grind is VERY much like Archero. Drive your guy around and kill shit. But the very light competitive touch gives it an edge. It probably helps that I have an OP character that runs around the map like an unstoppable Cuisinart Hoovering up points. Yep. Two appliance references. I suck 95% of my matches. The ones I lose have been to me being greedy and dying to the monsters instead of healing. There's been ONE other player that has beaten me. Once. I beat him two times, so I'm reigning champ between us. Not sure why it pairs me with such weak players. My theory is, they are all AI and they suck. Not sure how many people are actually playing the game. But I could be wrong. Maybe I just got super lucky unlocking the high level OP character this early.

Anyway, if you like Archero, you should give this a try. So, Leisher, give it a try.
Leisher
Site Admin

Mobile games

Post by Leisher »

I'll take a peek.
Stranger

Mobile games

Post by Stranger »

https://diabloimmortal.blizzard.com/en-us/

Diablo Immortal released yesterday for mobile. Also has a 32Gb PC download on the Blizzard app, so its not a direct mobile port.

Too bad that ive read the monetization makes it completely pay to win just like every other stupid mobile game.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!