Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Garry might have a problem.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If he'd been constipated for a couple week, I'd understand that tweet.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Rust has broken the 100K concurrent player mark thanks to the lockdown. (It did so last week or the week prior.)

What happens when you give Rust players free time? Awesome shit!

https://youtu.be/k5ZJ9PPbShg
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Did a few starts this weekend. Discovered boats and electricity are in game and have been playing with both.

Not a ton of people out on the water. Only flipped one boat so far, and ran another into a bear hoping it would kill it. Didn't' work.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: ran another into a bear hoping it would kill it. Didn't' work.
That is hilarious.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Got enough gear to try scuba salvaging. It's really basic once you get passed the thalassophobia of a huge artificially empty ocean. Wrecks are all the same at sit at maybe 50 feet down and you have to interact with loot crates on the bottom. Mid tier loot, I think you can get guns but I haven't yet. Dive tanks are found with 600 seconds. Googles helped big time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You see night vision googles are in the game now?

Turrets can be equipped with different guns.

Farming has been taken to near simulation levels.

Cars/Trucks are on the way soon.

They have made a lot of great additions to the game, but they've killed it for solo players.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
They have made a lot of great additions to the game, but they've killed it for solo players.
You think? Once I got a boat and some fuel as a solo I was 100% in business. Plenty of loot crates for myself and an entire island to build a base on that had been looked over. Will see if it lasts.

If I knew the server would be around for a while I would setup a ocean salvage shop on the mainland :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

If your server isn't crazy populated, doesn't have the stupid upkeep costs, and you're playing enough to put up defenses, you have a shot. On a populated server, you will get wiped pretty quickly. Some of the official servers have giant fucking clans.

1 guy can't out farm 50.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Some of the additions for electricity are really deep and very cool.

Leisher, have you setup an automated base yet using the new systems? The amount of components is daunting for automated doors and traps. I've been chucking most of the components in the recycler and using the scrap to buy batteries.

I can't seem to get the door controller bit on my current run. I used my electricty to get a proximity sensor online and attached it to a silent alarm in my furnace room - which is super fucking cool.

It's really cool that the scraps economy is up and running in a meaningful way in game with npc and pc vendors. The two safe npc towns helped gameplay too.

The vehicles, particularly boats and horses, have made moving around the map a lot easier and safer.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have messed with the electric a bit. Kind of taking a Rust break for the moment to knock out some other games before I get addicted again.

There are some good YouTube videos that'll walk you through them all.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Ran a newly wiped server yesterday. Maxed at about 170 pop at peak but has dropped to 100ish. A little rough at first, but I got some fuel and a boat and hit the water early and made a safe base far away from the main sprawl. I didn't really expand and just saved up metal frags. Did some ocean diving too.

When I got enough to feel comofrtable, an a few items of note. I tried to put down a vendor base near the NPC outposts. I lost my first shipment. Like, 1k metal frags and doors, to a man with a semi who appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the night. But he didn't grief my base and I persevered. And the next shipment of goods got my base down last night. This morning... my first shop is open for business. Ultra ritzy spot right next to a swamp.

Mostly it's just been people whining for free guitars. Working on it.

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Very nice
Troy

Post by Troy »

Going well so far. Whole shop is metal'ed up so it will take many C4. Nothing is invulnerable though.

So far, sales have been steady but nothing spectacular. I also don't want to sell explosives or anything that could be used on the base.

Tonight while on the ocean I found a Garage Door - which is an end-game base security item that goes for loads of scrap with urgent buyers. I'm cornering the market.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Garage doors are the shit.

Vehicles by July.

Tying your game into your phone so you can get live updates is apparently right around the corner too.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Garage doors are the shit.

Vehicles by July.

Tying your game into your phone so you can get live updates is apparently right around the corner too.
Vehicles sounds great. I wish you could build boats instead of having to hunt them scattered around on shorelines. I was testing on creative server and noticed someone driving a car around in their test section. Should be good - the world is pretty rocky outside of the desert, though.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Bases placed near The Outpost seem a much safer bet because of the town's turret range and the npc's pvp flag. Build a base right at the edge of the boundary and have a door that points towards the town "guard line" and it's about as safe as it gets in Rust.

You can't even shoot a deer near the Outpost or it will light you up and set you on an awful 30m cooldown timer so you can't even collect your body or you get shot again.

I only got raided once so far, early on in the wipe when I placed a stone wall backwards in the dark. Buncha dummies spent a pile of pix-axes only to hit a metal wall and give up.

I usually play my servers a bit more like a killer, but I've totally been a nice dude, feeding people and trading small things and throwing blue prints around like a proper merchant. I added some bling to my base aesthetic using my skin and item collection. Surprisingly nobody has messed with any of it.

The PVP groups are waging near constant war against each other around me and against the Bradley NPC vehicle nearby, but have so far totally been fairly friendly in encounters when i've safely behind a metal shop window. Sometimes thy send helicopters to the base in the night and buyout big ticket items.

I tried a helicopter once, flipped it immediately a died a fiery death with a decent bit of loot on me. Getting pretty good with boat and horses though.

Upkeep on my shop is about 2k metal a day. It seems high but I can run into town and exchange scrap for metal frags through the npc trader. 200 scrap = 2,000 metal frags.

200 scrap is one garage door sale or a a few oceans runs.

Tried to give the base some curb appeal

Distinguished shopkeeper and pirate

Surfacing after popping some loot crates from a wreck.

Getting my boat stuck on an ice sheet in the dark and nearly dying of thirst and cold with a big haul of loot on me.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

What is the money in the game? When you sell stuff, how do they pay?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: What is the money in the game? When you sell stuff, how do they pay?
An in-game item called "scrap". You can use it with vendors, and you can use it to research items.

It may as well be gold or silver. At the NPC camps you can use it to buy advanced guns and electronics in a safe space.
Last edited by Troy on Mon May 11, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: I think Rust will be awesome when it's done in 2020.
Took a fun read through the thread.

This comment - nice, dude.