Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Re: Rust - A thread for dying

Post by Troy »

I got wrecked sometime since I checked yesterday. I did kind of earn this one by playing like a cowboy with a rocket launcher and draw too much attention.

Base is pretty much wiped clean of loot - there used to be a lot of walls here. Someone shot a buncha rockets and used a tremendous amount of explosives. I was down to one last rocket and no sulfur.

didn't find the cabinet though.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Update and forced wipe yesterday.

I hopped on an official server for the first time in years. 200 pop Seattle 3. Pretty much 200/200 with a 40 person wait list all wipe day.

The level of skill is a bit lower than I'm used to. When I'm not running from big groups I feel like a scythe in a wheat field. Some very satisfying bow kills. Having a good ping helps too.

Resources are very hard to come by, I built my base next to a mountain with re-spawning stone nodes, so at least I've got lots of that. Still looking for gun parts. Expecting more chaos today, with maybe even worse queue lines.

I've gotten used to naked running at me constantly with rocks, spears, etc. This AM before work I did a quick login and walk-around. Found a spring and had to pick-axe-to-face a guy with a spear who tried to jump me. Gonna be a fun weekend. Seattle 3 will wipe again 3/1.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Two days in and I've nearly completed this bad boy:
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

PICS
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I will try to get some for you.

I was thinking about doing a video tour of that cave base I used last wipe.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:I will try to get some for you.

I was thinking about doing a video tour of that cave base I used last wipe.

I just hit F12 whenever I'm being awesome. Sort through it later.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Before-work walkabout. All seemed good. Went back inside my base and was just about to log out.

Hear a guy scrambling on the rocks, heading up the nearby cliff, he proceeds to start shooting at the landmines that (I thought) were well hidden at the chokepoints. He was using a crossbow.

A couple explosions later and he'd set off at least two of my traps. While skulking about looking for more he didn't hear me come up on the roof - until I'd already shot him in the fucking head. Ended up looting two xbows and some decent armor. But those landmines aren't cheap. Fuck him.

Life has been fairly tough on the official server. A few really good players that murder me, and then just endless nakeds that make resources and components scarce. Been a super fun wipe though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Life has been fairly tough on the official server. A few really good players that murder me, and then just endless nakeds that make resources and components scarce. Been a super fun wipe though.
I've tried life on those servers, but it's not for me.

I like killing and raiding, but I also like building. I like 20-30 people, more during peak weekend hours, because there's still danger everywhere, but it's not stupid danger.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

This would be awesome:
Concept inventory.

In other news, 800 cheaters banned today.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

According to Rustified, the armored door hatch now works. Not sure if that's only for the test server or if the change is coming in today's patch.

Also, this is awesome:
Delete all entities when EAC banned

In the wake of a large (800+ player) EAC ban, Garry has added an extra ‘fuck you’ for hackers. If a player is banned by EAC, all of their entities get deleted. That means all deployables and building blocks placed by that player will automatically be removed upon ban. Don’t worry, if you raided / killed a hacker and took their items, you’ll be able to keep them - no inventory items will be removed due to this change. This could have some interesting side effects for people basing with hackers...
Troy

Post by Troy »

They added vending machines. Like those shopkeepers in UO - only you can probably blow them up with c4.

e: vending machines currently invincible

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I currently have over 30k gun powder.

What's the best thing to build? Rockets? C4? Satchel charges?

What would be the most efficient?
Troy

Post by Troy »

I think C4 if you have the Tech Trash.

After that Rockets, but you need a lot of pipes. Large numbers of satchel charges are fine, just annoying to raid with, because their fuse's aren't predictable at all.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Whenever I get too much GP I burn it on landmines which I litter my base area with.

I'm the one that steps on them 1/3 of the time.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I think C4 if you have the Tech Trash.

After that Rockets, but you need a lot of pipes. Large numbers of satchel charges are fine, just annoying to raid with, because their fuse's aren't predictable at all.
I have 59 tech trash so I can make C4s, I was just curious if rockets would be more efficient based on the number of explosives they use versus C4. Satchel charges are great because they're cheap, but as you point out, unpredictable.
Whenever I get too much GP I burn it on landmines which I litter my base area with.

I'm the one that steps on them 1/3 of the time.
That's why I don't. I always forget where they are.
Troy

Post by Troy »

The big clan near me finally got fed up with my murdering and land mine laying ways. Couldn't totally investigate, but they built a wall around my base. I'm my own zoo animal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That's griefing on most servers, and thus, illegal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Update today included fridges and player safe trade.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Some griefer stuck a turret outside my metal shop and it shoots through it... That's not great.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Biggest update in Rust history today:

Nakeds with weapons in their inventory or tool belt will now have on a sash they can't remove! This will result in two things: FAR less killing of nakeds by decent folks worried about being killed. The ability to know that someone's a complete cocksucker in real life if they kill your naked and non-sash having ass.

Other cool updates like adding monuments to the in game map and allowing your vending machines to broadcast their position to all players' maps! Public beds, guest codes, heavy armor, tables and chairs, rugs, etc. all went in today.

You folks who played Rust previously need to take another look. The dev team is working non-stop and have been implementing a lot of game changing stuff lately.

Troy's a psycho who loves non-stop action, so he can recommend some servers with a player every few feet, but if you're looking for something a bit calmer you can ask me. If you want something with no PvP, just search for PvE in the server filter.
Some griefer stuck a turret outside my metal shop and it shoots through it... That's not great.
So there's a story here.... (And I expect Troy to be the only one to read this, maybe Gordo.)

This server I found and have played on the last two cycles is NOT a PvE server. However...they advertise a "chill" game of Rust. What that means is: Everything about Rust is allowed, but only to a point. So, for example, I raided another player's home and that's fine. However, another player on the server raided everyone's homes and that starts our story.

So there's this player, JackBeNimble, and he wasn't on last cycle, but was this one. After the first week where he was very quiet, he's dominating. Everyone he's raiding is leaving the server. He's playing night and day. Somehow he missed my base, although as stated previously, it's based on a very tough design and would be scary for someone with limited resources. Other bases on the server were very cookie cutter and easily raided.

Anyway, we end up chatting and he decides he's not going after me, but does want to hit this island base near me. Well, I do too. It's huge and interesting, so I want to destroy it. He also befriends another player who is brand new and really, really bad. That guy, Pyro, becomes something of a spy for Jack. He tells him where he's spotted other bases.

Meanwhile, each night people are bitching to Jack about raiding them.

Then Monday arrives and I log in to see I've been griefed. I found out later that Jack was too (not sure about Pyro). We discussed it openly trying to figure out who had the resources to pull it off. It would have taken a ton! Every exit of my base had autoturrets covering it and each was 100% fully loaded with ammo. Ditto for Jack's and his base dwarfed mine. Also, raid towers were built out of metal outside our bases in various places. They also did their best to circumvent any walls, but did NOT use any explosives.

After some events later that night, which included the server admin showing up and banning Jack, I now know what happened.

The server admin was spawning items for the few people that were on over the weekend. They were the ones that griefed us. Why? They wanted Jack gone because he was driving away the regulars who wanted a more "chill" experience. They griefed me because they thought I was working with Jack on all the raids, but admitted that mistake when he showed up Monday (without admitting to the griefing).

Since then, they held a rocket party at Jack's former base and all the players who had NOTHING were taking part. One guy, the guy I raided and this was his first night back in weeks, says "I just shot 20 rockets at that quarry". Where'd he get all those rockets? It made me realize that all those times the server admin would get on to do maintenance or make an announcement, he'd give supply signals to everyone, and yet, I never saw the spawned message. So I consulted Google, and there's an Oxide mod that removes admin spawn messages.

Fuck.

So I'm torn. This server gets a good population and the actual game of Rust does occur. I also received an apology, but not an admission of the griefing. Do I stick around a server that will let me do my buildings, but also still has the PvP I love about Rust? The admin is ALWAYS on, so it's well maintained and there's typically 20-30 people on, and the server's been around for a year or so. Or do I leave knowing the asshole admin spawned shit to grief a player to get him to leave because he was a better player? And, to be fair, doesn't push the spawning of items too far. I mean his own base (I'm pretty sure I know who the admin is) is dwarfed by Jack's and my own among others. So he doesn't seem to be doing it for himself, he certainly isn't doing it to other players' advantage, and he's not out raiding folks like crazy.

Torn.

Oh, and every Wednesday right before the wipe he holds a rocket party for everyone on. People get spawned tons of rockets and get to level the server. That's pretty cool.

It's a server I was about to pitch to Gordon to get him back into the game because he's not going to get killed every time he spawns or goes to chop down a tree.