Post by TheCatt »

place their skulls into one chest left standing
So... that's a thing now?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: Rust - A thread for dying

Post by Leisher »

It's been there a while, but it doesn't put the player name on it. I assume that will show up eventually as people are requesting it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
place their skulls into one chest left standing
So... that's a thing now?
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Rust update today with some big news...

-Garry is no longer project lead. Helk is, and apparently, Rust was always his anyway.
-They're adding maps without grass, rocks, and other visual items for folks who are having trouble running the game.
-Radiation is back and can be turned on by server owners.
-XP system is slated to go into the game on July 7th. That will be the biggest change to how Rust is played in a long time, and that's saying something.
-In what I consider the biggest news, Garry talks about how they can see all the accounts a cheater uses. They can see how they benefit one another. They can see which ones they cheat with and which ones they play normally. However, since cheaters continue to find ways around anti-cheat software, they are now going to ban ALL of your accounts if you're caught cheating.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Continues to take a lot of time...

If you've been away for a while, it will be drastically different. The XP system, the new graphics, the new items, weapons, etc.

Coming soon are new caves that sound amazing and should be pretty massive.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

You know those caves? Well, they completely changed them. Instead of just that one type of cave now there are 8 and they scale in difficulty in terms of navigating them.

What's interesting is that the obstacles, like inescapable pits with spikes at the bottom, are a natural defense for your base (if you're lucky enough to grab one of the plots down there), but the bases will only be 2x3, 3x3, 4x4, etc. I think the 4x4 base is the largest, and from what I've seen on the pre-release servers it's only going to be 3-4 stories tall. So your home won't be a sprawling fortress and you won't be able to fit an unlimited amount of resources down there or a lot of the bigger items like large furnaces.

Cave house owners also get an elevator to the surface. Not sure if that goes down as well. I saw it slightly in action, but was kicked due to some violation (a bug as I don't have cheat programs installed for any game, let alone Rust).

Also, the XP system is gone on the pre-release. You can build everything, but now they're adding in "components". These will be found at the monuments. So instead of using HQM, some wood and cloth to build a gun, you'll need to find a barrel and trigger or something to that effect.

Also, more guns have been added to the game and the graphics were given a major overhaul.

It's still Rust, but they're constantly developing it and always moving closer to their vision of the end game.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

XP system is gone. Component system is in.
Troy

Post by Troy »

How is it?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I liked the XP system because I just had to do stuff to get to what I needed to build. The component system is interesting, and I worried that it would make going to monuments way too important, and thus, huge kill zones for the haves, but they're combating this well. There are now junk drops all over the landscape and their locations are completely random. Also, the only drops that include pre-made weapons now are air drops.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I'm game to play it this weekend if you are round.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Played a bit. Same old rust in some aspects - I like the new changes to how you can make armor/weapons though and overall crafting changes. I think it makes it easier to get weapons and get up to speed quickly without bottlenecks. I don't have an AK/submachine gun yet, but good pistol and semi rifle without too much work. Would totally group up and try a heavier pop server if we could get a crew going.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm still playing occasionally, but can't commit to any real play time right now.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Built a base on a server that wiped yesterday. Got a good first few modules in, and now a few layers of locked-door-insulation. I checked before I went to work and two separate air locks had been breached on the top and bottom parts of my house. Guess my shit looked really inviting. They haven't ruined me, yet, but we'll see if it lasts before I get home.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It was wiped and in one day you were getting raided? Unless you're on a modded server with lots of resources, that sucks.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Good so far. Base didn't wipe, or cabinet breached. Server calmed down after launch. Rebuilt and upgrades. I finally got armed with a gun tonight and figured out getting them is all about getting right components. I'm building straight up. Lost two gun fights, won a few more.

Was out exploring way out and got a airdrop in my lap. the materials to build a rocket launcher ( I did ) and a laptop. Everything will burn.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Really, really like the changes they have made to Rust. It's such a good game now - even for a solo guy.

Component system pretty much makes all loot valuable. But for Tarps, maybe. Why build water systems when you can just drink from streams now?

The barrier for a gun now is low when you have a base setup. Usually just a housing, and then metal of some sort. Maybe a spring/pipe if it's fancy.

Snagged a rare rifle housing last night, gonna make it into a bolt action when I get home and terrorize my neighborhood.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Are you still pretty much guaranteed to lose everything every time you log off for the night?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Negative. I discovered how easy to build the top level doors are. I lost ONE small base since I came back - in the first 24 hours of a server. If I get more than 2 days to reinforce, usually the server dies first and wipes.

I show stone on the outside layer to make it not worth targeting, and generally try to make it hard to notice. It's all metal once you get past the decor, though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote:Are you still pretty much guaranteed to lose everything every time you log off for the night?
It's still going to depend on the server. Playing on a server with a small map and 100 people? You're probably fucked. Playing on a larger map with fewer people will give you much better odds.

I created a nice 2x2 cave base design that's a real motherfucker. Only one way to it and it's protected by a turret(s) that you don't hear or see until it's too late.
Troy

Post by Troy »

One of my new favorite Rust features is that ALL items are tracked by owner, down to the person who mined them, even if they have been put through refining or manufacturing.

Most recently on a 100 max - 97/100 current - small map. I've killed and been murdered, but mostly building and scouting. Tonight, I harassed a big group of dudes that was setting up a new base near me. There were 4-5 of them, I came upon them near my house and started a one sided gun fight, with them eventually getting me down to a hail of arrows. Luckily, my gun went into a rock and was unrecoverable. A new semi rifle is easy to make for an established player, so I had a pretty big advantage as they worked to farm a base up.

Armed with their crossbows and possessing ambition, they set a large frame for a base, and filled up a large outdoor furnace with metal ores, many full stacks worth. The top of their base began to be visible from my roof.

I hunted them for two in-game nights and fought them all over. I would circle around picking them off slowly and creeping away. Killed one exploring the lighthouse, another running up a hill. Eventually they cracked. There were probably some other deaths - I heard other gunfire, but it caused them to all rage-quit.

The third night I went back to scout their base scaffolding - to find they had mass logged. Left the large furnace totally unguarded. Left guys out sleeping on the steps in their rage and haste. For now, they are gone, maybe never seen from again.

But I have a heavy load of souvenirs. The metal ore and weapons I make will have their names on them.

Last edited by Troy on Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.