Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Re: Rust - A thread for dying

Post by Troy »

Follow up image of their base as I log tonight.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Does it get much better than popping up onto your rooftop randomly during the day between work projects and shooting the fuck out of your enemies with a bolt rifle? No, no it does not.

e: and it's still Holiday Rust. Basically once in a while, like the airdrop - a bell rings and presents get spawned - 2ish per person in a general 200 foot radius when the chime goes off. I've gotten a few cool items. One is a magic stocking that refills every few days with random loot. I upgraded presents from a few days for a big one - got my first auto-turret. It's kinda loud, is my only complaint.
Troy

Post by Troy »

There will be an update today at some point, and a forced wipe. e: dang tomorrow now

My base on the 100 pop small survived. Only a few bad things happened to the base:

someone stole one of my outer doors (I forgot to lock it and they took the door right off it's hinges and ran away)
someone shot about 15 rockets at it (buncha walls got knocked down before they ran out of ammo)
I got attacked by hackers who flew up to my rooftop penthouse (they got lit up by the sentry gun and proceeded to step on a mine - this was awesome btw - I emptied an AK at them ineffectively and shut all the doors to wait them out)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The harbour is being added tomorrow.

This is pretty hilarious.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

The harbor lags the FUCK out of my PC in the new patch. Sucks.

This is a pretty amazing raid video with commentary and comms. It's a little long though.
[video][/video]
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm pretty sure my base is unraidable. Ok, nothing is unraidable, but it'd be annoying and expensive as hell to raid it. If you don't know where the dangers are lurking, you're fucked and getting back to it is no easy feat (nowhere close to put down a bag either). Finding it is a whole other thing.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

You playing the new update?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I was on it today for a bit. Just got home, so I'll be on it again shortly.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's Friday and I'm unmotivated so I logged in to check out my server. A new neighbor was raided overnight. The raiders left behind about 4K in charcoal, so I took that.

Then I discovered that the server villains have the giant metal tower near me, and I'm pretty certain they don't have the slightest idea I'm nearby...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy

Post by Troy »

LOL - Eoka with mods. I mean - it's still a super useful flashlight. Those bases get dark.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Over the past three months I've suffered zero raids. Cave bases are legit. This is the base for the folks like Gordo who feel like they got ganked or raided too often.

To get to my current base here's what you have to do:
1. Find the spiral (like an underground missile silo).
2. Find the floor my base is located on (four floors), and considering the caves are dark and a maze, this is tougher than it sounds. (The silo actually got scouted by someone and they never found my base. I could tell because they opened all the doors except the two that lead to my base.)
3. Once you're on my floor, take all the proper turns to find the jumping puzzle.
4. Successfully cross the jumping puzzle and land in range and view of my turrets.
5. This is the only entrance to my base. There are two turrets on a second floor aimed at this tunnel and a third on the first floor set off to the side. The turrets on the second floor are basically invisible in the darkness and their sound doesn't reach the first floor.
6. Beyond this first base is another small tunnel leading to my 2x2 base which is also guarded by a turret pointing towards the one tunnel leading to it.
7. A door out the back takes me to a lift that can only be told to climb by someone at the bottom. It goes up to the top, which is at a height that's an insta kill to anyone trying to jump down. Once at the top it remains there for two seconds and then goes back down. It leads to a back door entrance/exit on the surface away from the main entrance. Looking down the hole would not indicate if anyone lived down there or not even if they had fires going. You wouldn't hear them or see the light.

That being said, #7 is the weak point IF someone camped you. However, they'd have to kill you, and you'd still spawn in your base immediately and have the drop on them. Combined with a well placed turret and this base is impossible to raid for solo players or small groups.

I shouldn't say impossible because it is possible for someone to waste a fuckton of rockets shooting them long range over the jumping puzzle in the hopes of knocking out your turrets from afar, but they'd have no idea what they'd be hitting, if all the turrets were gone, that you have a second base, and any resistance on your part would make it impossible to maintain any sort of fight. Plus, they can't drop a bag/box anywhere close!

I had this base setup and secure within a day as a solo player. The hardest part was getting the materials to make the first turret. If a large group did this, they could be up and running raids in no time flat with little concern about retaliation. They could also appropriate the other floors where there are additional building spots.

You're not completely without threat until you get that first turret up and running, but after that, you're golden.

A side perk of using small furnaces because you can't build a big one down here is I'm heading towards 90K charcoal and this is only halfway through the month...
Troy

Post by Troy »

Those are some crazy defenses. It would be fun to operate out of a cave and raid anyone that comes near, but I've always avoided them up to this point. I feel like everytime I get geared up and head into one, I end up dead.

I just noticed that cave type you are describing on my map. I'll have to spelunk down and check it out.

Right now the balance on defense/raid is a bit skewed to the builder. Stone walls are roughly the same as metal for raid purposes. Both require two C4. With the new foundation type, it's easy to have enough walls and doors up in a pretty short amount of time. I've been raided a ton, but haven't lost a base in a while.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Got hit tonight just as I was thinking about going to bed. A bunch of footseps, and then c4 at my door. Followed by rockets. They weren't pinpointed to a breach though, and my stone wall layer generally ate it up. A few got knocked down, but nothing too bad.

Halfway through another group showed up with automatic weapons. Intense amounts of gunfire, people were getting shot and dying left and right. I died trying to get replacement walls up. In the end I managed to loot my stuff, get walls up, and both clans retreated. I didn't kill anyone, but threw a grenade out my window when I was doing repairs for good measure.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I raided five neighboring houses last night and killed 4 neighbors.

My server just added all the skins. Type /hello and you can drop your items into a box that appears and choose any of the available skins. No purchase necessary.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I kind of dig the new revolver. Going to try it out today. The early complaints were that it shakes too much for ranged shots. But that's if you try to keep it still like the bolt rifle. It seems to have really good tracking and power - better for close range reaction type shots.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Heard a group hoovering my area for resources. Popped up on my base, got their attention, got shot at by one.

So I ducked down, loaded my new rocket launcher and blew him the fuck up. It was goddamn glorious.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

My server has the late month blues. Everyone that got wrecked has disappeared. Only about 12-15 regular players right now. I look forward to the wipe.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Things are just starting to wind down on my first 300 pop server that wipes weekly. It only got up to 225 on opening day, but it has been a blast. I've been running around with the revolver, and roof camping with the rocket launcher. The launcher with basic rockets at long range is kind of like a very inaccurate mortar.

I think the revolver, while was immediately cast aside by the P2 flavor-of-the-month crowd, is a fantastic weapon. I LOVE, LOVE the way the character quickdraws it. I need a cowboy hat model ASAP.

It isn't as good as the P2 from 0 yards away, which is to be expected. But now that the P2 has been nerfed at range, it's got a very solid mid-range niche.

I like to build bases in rocky areas, so I fight a lot in between boulders and rock outcroppings with solid cover. I try to draw enemies into mid range, and focus on drilling one shot at a time, ducking behind rocks. The P2 users are still in the mindset of standing still, emptying the entire clip as fast as they can. Awesome - way to waste 10 bullets at the rock outcropping I used to be on. I usually try to keep mid range until I land a few good hits, or a headshot, and then I move forward, while reloading, and finish the job. It's fucking dope.