Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote:
Leisher wrote: I think Rust will be awesome when it's done in 2020.
Took a fun read through the thread.

This comment - nice, dude.
Ha!

I think the end game here is going to be massive game worlds or one giant one that connects all the islands.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:
Troy wrote:
Leisher wrote: I think Rust will be awesome when it's done in 2020.
Took a fun read through the thread.

This comment - nice, dude.
Ha!

I think the end game here is going to be massive game worlds or one giant one that connects all the islands.
What if they made it so you could build a Portal on the official, vanilla servers?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Wait I take it back. There is already an existing support for this. The Cargo ship that brings the elite loot crates into Harbor monuments. Have players able to hitch a ride. Maybe they can't control where they go...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

SPACE SHIPS
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: SPACE SHIPS
That'd be awesome. You just crash land into someone's map.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

They have already hinted at balloons being able to travel to different islands (servers). Thus, I imagine the helicopters, that I am completely unable to fly, and boats would probably also join that fun.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: They have already hinted at balloons being able to travel to different islands (servers). Thus, I imagine the helicopters, that I am completely unable to fly, and boats would probably also join that fun.
SPACE SHUTTLES
Troy

Post by Troy »

Apparently farming is very lucrative right now. Like, actual farming. I've never tried as it's not my usual MO. Three methods:

1) Collect a herd of horses, keep them alive in your base and collect their poop, Produce fertilizer. Sell fertilizer at the NPC camp for scrap.

2) Build fish farms. No idea how that works. Sell fish at NPC camp for scrap.

3) Indoor grow farm. Sell cloth NPC camp for scrap.

We are talking significant levels of scrap here. Scrap can get you anything if you can safely spend it, but farming can generate enough scrap for multiple large weapons from the gun vendor per day easily.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

So... when did the NPC camp show up? Is that like the high sec part of Eve Online? I don't remember any of that back in the day.
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: So... when did the NPC camp show up? Is that like the high sec part of Eve Online? I don't remember any of that back in the day.
The camps have been there for a while, but I'm not sure the trading economy that they both support had been fleshed out until recently.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The trading economy has been here for quite a bit of time too. It started as all player based. That's why there's a wooden shop front piece and the more secure metal storefront. Everything started because players wanted a secure way to trade. Then blueprints were augmented by research and scrap. Thus, scrap became a commodity. Soon they embraced that and made it currency.
Troy

Post by Troy »

My first resource base got raided a few days ago, so I built a few tiny back-up bases, which I think is the way to go. No more big vulernable bases, just multiple small bases with scrap reserves, that way nothing can completely clean you out and you can easily get back on your feet. I tested the small base theory and built a small grow house and a boathouse in the arctic.

As of the recent update, the player's hunger seems to have doubled in drain rate, and food is very scarce. So I built a tiny food growing house. Small project with so many moving parts!! Water, Power, Light, Fertilizer. I did successfully grow pumpkins but never figured out fertilizer.

I built a small boathouse in the bitter cold artic. Unless you have the right gear, getting wet in the cold biome is a quick death. This base and its wall heater make things much better.

Always having a boat makes running the harbor monument for goodies much much safer and easier. Obviously the heater and lights help during the night.

Here's me riding a horse with an smg on the beach during sunset. I was looking for boats and only finding poor, defenseless farmers.

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cars hit staging branch Monday.

Copters will soon no longer spawn in the wild. You'll need to get parts and build them apparently.

Tea is coming. Think buffs.

New building blocks coming soon.

Ditto for the companion app.
Troy

Post by Troy »

All the changes sound cool. Alchemy (via tea and what not) seems like a nice addition.

Not having the mini copter littering the world should slow down the tech progression a decent bit. It's impossible to keep weapons from players when they can just fly over obstacles hour 1 of the wipe and get to the goods.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Not having the mini copter littering the world should slow down the tech progression a decent bit. It's impossible to keep weapons from players when they can just fly over obstacles hour 1 of the wipe and get to the goods.
It's why I think this is a good change.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I built a small trap bases for fun, and it's been fairly lucrative, with a dozen kills maybe. Sadly, it rarely seem to catch geared guys. Usually just the the poor naked, but sometimes you catch a guy whose been farming too.

I added a Tesla coil to the trap base once I got electricity figured out. So dang cool. It can't be the sole source of trap damage with just the medium battery, as it's won't ouput enough damage, and they could get away. Paired with shotgun traps it's brutal though.

Been wondering how to inconspicuously charge a Large Battery in a trap base so I can use 3x Tesla coils to zap a guy dead in 1 second. Maybe go learn how to make a small generator and give that a go.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Is there anything better than the feeling of being chased by baddies, finally making it back to the base with them firing and in pursuit, making it to your door and jump inside, only for the bandits to run right in behind you... right into a fresh set of shotgun traps you installed earlier in the day. Blammo.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Late night Rust be like:

"Are those explosions? Is my base getting raided... oh wait my headphones are off it's just anarchy outside"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The new animal models are gorgeous.

https://youtu.be/Bebj_Kpgdzs
Troy

Post by Troy »

Survived into week 2 on an Official Server. Trio server, so no huge Zergs, lots of good groups though.

Server pop still in the mid 100, but enough breathing room for me to "acquire" THIS for the first time since BPs were changed.

I've only just learned how to use a Python well, who knows how long getting a good AK spray takes?