Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Blueprints are back, but different from before. This is prepping for their attempts to make the world more persistent and interesting for the entire month.

Other awesome stuff...

I'm currently on a Rust break as I finish my NBA2K17 season and I plan to try out Black Desert Online next, but I'm already itching to return to Rust.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

More on the massive changes Rust has been going through as they head towards persistent worlds.

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Home sick from work and giving it a go today. I haven't played in a while. Very different tech resources.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It occurred to me that Rust is becoming closer to Ultima Online than any other game out there.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Remember logging on to see if you had a penis or a vagina?

Well, you might want to log on and see your face now...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Hair is finally in the game and my lady has a GIANT bush. She also has short hair, so I think she's a feminist...

So far there are only two hair styles for men and two for women. I think pubes have a similar situation.

Also, scrap is now currency and it's hard to come by.

The changes they've made to the crafting system are pretty awesome. Nobody is running around with AKs 30 minutes after a wipe anymore. There IS still a path to get such things quickly, but it takes more effort and luck.

Blueprints are pretty done now.

Trading is now a much bigger deal as well.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Massive fixes to building this week:
-No more cracks to peek through in metal or wood walls.
-Metal is now double the health of stone and armored is double that! Stone - 500, Metal - 1000, Armored - 2000.

That's 8 C4 to get through a metal wall!

Considering folks can still use floors and ladders within your TC radius, this is a MASSIVE change. That means folks will have to come through your doors or waste tons of resources guessing where to come in through a wall. So good design and well placed traps are now a million times more effective for home defense.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Finally leaving Early Access on Feb 8th.

No plans for development to stop at all. Updates will no longer be weekly, but monthly. However, they will contain the same amount of items and the developer blog will still be updated weekly to reflect this fact.

This is why they created the road map and posted it publicly. They want people to see where they're taking the game, and that just because it's Early Access doesn't mean it's done.

Also, the price will be going to $35 once it leaves Early Access, so buy it now.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If you already bought the Early Access, you need to buy it again?
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: If you already bought the Early Access, you need to buy it again?
No
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Most interesting tidbit here as updates are monthly now is that the dev team tweeted: "No recoil scripts are a cheat and we're going to begin banning for them."

I had no idea such scripts existed.

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Someone remade the Legacy map with the new tech. It looks really good.

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy, were you a black guy in Rust?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: Troy, were you a black guy in Rust?
I think I was a few races . I feel like they may have changed depending on the update. The last one was sort of Australian aboriginal.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have a theory that a player's race and sex is based upon their play style.

I know it's supposed to be random, but I don't think that's true. Watching Rust videos on YouTube has me possibly seeing a pattern.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I started on a medium pop server this month. With less than a week before the wipe, I'm pretty much the last guy standing.

I built one of my best bases ever in a cave system with the spike pit. It was far away from anyone else, so I've been able to hit and run without getting payback by the larger groups. There are still three large compounds and around 29 sleepers (Down from 50+ as folks have quit and their sleeping bodies have been harvested.) Several have been active, but less so per usual towards the end of a wipe cycle.

Back to the base, I'm seriously considering filming this one and putting it on YouTube. Nothing is impenetrable given enough time and resources, but it'd be an insane bitch to get through.

And I still have one design trick that in all my years I've never seen anyone duplicate...
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: And I still have one design trick that in all my years I've never seen anyone duplicate...
Thanks, Buzzfeed.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Ok, that was good. And hey, you clicked! Sucker!

Would you really have a clue what I was talking about if I described it? Do you even Rust bro?

About two years ago I was building a base using one of the rocks that has a natural, but small tunnel. It had an offset branch within the rock that went nowhere, but provided my base a naturally protected treasure room. Well, during my base build I realized that I could make my treasure room in such a way that the door would be far from where I had no ceiling in this room. I then lined the room with bearskins and rugs, including the ceiling. Now where I had no ceiling, I could pull down a bearskin throw boxes up there, fill them with the best loot, throw a thatch ceiling tile up, and then put a bearskin back on top of it.

I could be raided, and odds would be in my favor that they'd never find it. Plus, it was far enough from the door that it wouldn't take damage from explosions when they burst through.