Rust - A thread for dying

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: I've only just learned how to use a Python well, who knows how long getting a good AK spray takes?
No idea, but I swear there's a website dedicated to the different Rust guns so you can practice shooting.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

There are people in Rust doing awesome stuff...

https://youtu.be/k5YGepJgVDM
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Big Rust update and global wipes. Cars newly in-game. Helicopters no longer freely spawning and behind 750/1250 scrap paywalls at NPC safe zone.

Closest thing Rust has ever had to a Trammel/Felucca update with the new expanded safe zones.

As soon as I get done with my work projects i'm 100% "teaching lessons" to the new people joining due to the Summer Sale.
Last edited by Troy on Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-1C-Xiq05o
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

https://youtu.be/hoYngBgDn9o
Troy

Post by Troy »

Slick release video for the new boat shops and kayaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=N18juL4KL_s&feature=emb_logo
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Elevators should be in by next wipe. There's an interesting note about putting phone sounds in...

Also, weather is coming soon.
Troy

Post by Troy »

One of these days we need to run a DTman clan for a few days on a server. Zelda would play.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That would be cool. However, we'd need everyone to play the month prior to learn the game again.

I haven't played in a few months and there's so much that's changed in that time. I cannot imagine what it'd be like for the others.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: That would be cool. However, we'd need everyone to play the month prior to learn the game again.

I haven't played in a few months and there's so much that's changed in that time. I cannot imagine what it'd be like for the others.
That's if we take it real seriously. We don't have to make it sweaty or play on a high pop server.

Z and I have been running the oil rig monuments on low pops where we never see anyone and it's fun. We still die a lot. The NPC scientists are jerks.

We can set our sights low, make bows, bow people, build a base, get a car or something.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I just didn't care for the game, too much "realism." I personally seemed to be unlucky, in that 75% of the time I spawned, someone was there was an uzi to take me out immediately. That's dumb, and not fun.

But even when I built my way up to a bow and arrow, it seemed to be impossible to aim and hit anything. Sure, that's realism. But getting super lucky and avoiding getting ganked by someone comparatively OP, hoping to survive and/or not get robbed long enough to be competitive isn't fun, to me.

It's a multi game with the only way to survive in the early hours is to avoid all other players.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I would try to play :)

And if I have to rat you all to win, I will.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: It's a multi game with the only way to survive in the early hours is to avoid all other players.
Or be in a clan.

We're old. We are no longer PvP gods. I can hold my own, particularly using guile, but the younger players typically can light me up anymore. That's why I stick to medium/low pop servers and find a corner of the map to sneakily harvest and build. I'm not running into people every 5 minutes, but I'm also not playing alone on a server. Playing solo on an official server is suicide.

The game has changed so, so much since you last played. It's NOTHING like you remember. Literally, every aspect of the game is different. I remember bows sucking, but now I can use the standard bow to kill animals from great distances. They're super easy to use and I rarely miss. Most times I carry that instead of a gun.

Anyway, in a clan your role would be vastly different from just trying to murder someone. You can simply be a builder, a harvester (food, scrap, parts, resources, etc.), a fighter, and so on.

Rust is genuinely thisclose to becoming the most in depth life simulator in history. It's insane how far they've come and what is still coming. Although, I will admit that it gets a bit frustrating because it really is killing a lot of the solo game.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I play it very similar to the way we had to play UO. In the beginning, you stayed at home or close to town. Avoid everyone as they can kill you. When you gather enough resources and skills, you venture out for more encounters.

Or you joined a guild and had friends and backup so you could be out and do more.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Barring D&D, we would be down to play on Friday. Among Us too. Need 8+ for that though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Potential Among Us players:
Leisher
Lightspeed
Cake
Zelda
Catt
Gordon or whatever his new Steam name is
Stranger
Alevard
I also noticed TPRJones owns it as well
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Back to Rust.

Jumped on the server Troy has been playing on. It gets wiped in like 4 days or so. Going to start again on that one Troy?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: Back to Rust.

Jumped on the server Troy has been playing on. It gets wiped in like 4 days or so. Going to start again on that one Troy?
No plans yet. Checking it out and getting the good start was on a whim. It's a weekly wipe, I normally like 2 week wipes but I find you are less likely to get raided on 1 weekers. Nobody saves up explosives.

The server seemed to be pretty easy as far as competition though, medium pop ~130 max at peak, a few big clans.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cake and I ran small oil successfully* on our first try.

*I may have shot him on the head trying to help him but it all worked out in the end!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Do the areas of interest on the maps change between servers/wipes? I'm guessing the locations do, but I'm talking about the exact layout. For instance, the reactor area. Are the buildings, towers, tunnels, etc always the same?

One of our bigger problems last night was communicating enemy locations. "He's near the larger red building". "He's in the tunnel thing leading up from that one place". I'm hoping learning the layout of those areas, and maybe coming up with our own naming scheme is possible. "He's where the med crate spawns" "He at the stairs leading to the office" etc. More specific locations. Last night "He's by the red building". "Ok, I see three red buildings" "The one with some white on it" etc. By the time we figure out what building we were talking about, they are no longer there, or we are dead.

Plus, learning to aim. I need to check the combat log to see if I'm hitting anything more often. Because I feel like I'm not hitting shit.