Steam - The Future is Now

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: Honestly, things I can play with my kids would be nice.
There is one I have my eye on this sale...Gang Beasts. One of my twins wants to play it with me and has for months, but it's been too expensive. It's a game with violence, but not I guess? Just you and up to three other folks battling it out.

You could try other games involving people like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, You Don't Know Jack (might be too tough for them), Dungeon Defenders, Awesomenauts, Rocket League?, etc. Doesn't Steam have a family game section?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

As a family, we enjoyed Nine Parchments. It's got variable difficulty. It gets... harried, as you cannot turn off friendly fire. Only $5 on Steam right now. Great local co-op.

Did not love Dungeon Defenders. Rocket League too actiony.

Kids are big on coop.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I liked DD. Not sure if I enjoyed it more solo or with others... I just right now remember we used to multi it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: So you need a game for an 8 year old?
Oh, and Mario + Rabbids is too hard for 8 year olds.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I also did not enjoy DD. Found it to be monotonous.

I always loved the You Don't Know Jack series.

You should investigate My Time At Portia and other games like it. It's clearly family friendly and I think is like Animal Crossing, but far deeper.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Apparently what I really need is for it to rea dmy mind.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Well, fuck a duck. I got a new phone, and moved my Steam Guard over to it, and now I cannot trade/sell/do anything with my items for 15 days, because Steam sucks ballllls.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Hey, that looks like an interesting article about PC strategy games, I should read it for the Steam sale: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-strate ... _pcgamerfb

Hey, Endless Legends sounds interesting, I should check that out.

Runs Steam.

75% off! $7.50? Wow, should I just buy it or put it on my wishlist...

Oh.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have 858 games in my library. More sitting unclaimed in my Humble Bundle account. That happens to me a lot. :D

TPR had more...
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Not on Steam, but good for 8 year olds and only $.50.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/ga ... 1b0a240614

You can get SNES knock off controllers on Amazon, 2 for $10 if you are so inclined.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Steam also won't let my wife's account do anything with her Steam cards cuz she hasn't bought anything in the past year.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

How am I supposed to earn my free $2.35 each year like this? :(
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Don't they know you have a family to feed?
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

got some Steam cash for Christmas, but i don't know what to spend it on!

Was thinking Divinity: original sin 2 but playing solo might not be as enjoyable.

Battletech interests me, but the reviews aren't very favorable when you read them.

I've got about 20 others in my wishlist but when i look at them i'm not really sure if i want those either.

What happened to me? used to be i could drop money on games with ease. Lately i've just been playing Overwatch and thats been fun but i need something else, any suggestions. Maybe even a co-op that someone is thinking of playing?
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Me too. I used to get all the big titles new and play them quick, and suddenly I had a pile of games I purchased and never played. Then I stopped being interested in most new stuff.

Not sure if I got old, or if I got tired of shit not working on day 1, or DRM restrictions, or what. Or all of it.

Also PC Gamer magazine stopped pretending to be impartial. That left a bad taste in my mouth. WHen I stopped reading it, I stopped thinking about new games all the time.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

There are a few reasons I haven't bought much of anything during the last couple/few sales.

1. I have a mountain of games I haven't played yet. Why buy another when I have a LOT of games I haven't played, but want to.
2. Humble bundle - I have even more games, unplayed, because of their bundles.
3. We aren't muliplaying anything. A handful of games, I have bought to join in the fun.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Some of it is absolutely getting old and having your energy expended elsewhere. I think some of it is also changing tastes of ourselves and the industry. Your own changing tastes are on you.

For example:
It has been my experience that I stopped buying games waiting for Steam Sales. The gaming industry can suck on my balls if they thing it's fair for me to pay the same price as physical copies. Sooooo much overhead gets eliminated via software distribution versus brick and mortar and as long as they refuse to acknowledge it, they can eat me.

Then I realized I didn't want to buy a game until ALL content has been released. I started getting very irritated buying a game and then a month/year after beating it some expansion comes out. Sometimes that doesn't bother me as much, like with The Surge, which I bought and beat YEARS after it came out only to have a new expansion announced right after I beat it. Thankfully, I wasn't interested despite loving The Surge.

I still was filling my library and wishlist with a bunch of games that weren't sparking my interest. That's when I started really focusing on what games I was interested in playing. I'm now really trying to only get games that fit what I know I love. Me? I'm a story person. I'm an explorer. I love the details. However, I also enjoyed playing with you clowns, and that's where the other problem comes up...

The industry's changing tastes are out of our control. All the microtransactions are ruining gaming for everyone else. Just like a certain group ruined UO, and then all other MMORPGs.

The arena games are the current trend and mostly trash. I was watching one of my friend's kids play Fortnite and I didn't get the point of it. It's an arena game, go kill the enemies. Nope, there's construction to for some reason. Oh, and dancing you can buy in microtransactions. And whatever else. Want a more grown up version? Play PUBG, but be aware they don't give a shit if cheaters ruin your experience.

Then there's far less deep casual gaming that is a huge market right now due to phones and other mobile devices. Know what's worse than an FPS with a controller? An FPS with a touch screen. Those games are so incredibly dumbed down and boring as shit.

I'm so tired of the constant skins, dances, etc. I hate what they did to TF2.

Stuff like Roblox is out there making cheap blocky versions of everything cool and kids are playing that rather than playing the good looking real stuff.

The gaming industry has never been larger and had more options, and it's also never been shittier. So much absolute shit is thrown at us non-stop that it's almost impossible to spot the gems.

As for multi, there is no reason I wouldn't be up for multiing on Fridays if D&D falls through. (Not tonight though as it's my last X-Mas event.)

I would LOVE to go back to classics most of us have like Left 4 Dead, L4D2, MW:O, The Forest, PA, TA, C&C: RA, Payday, etc.

I'd love to play newer stuff like the multiplayer horror games on Steam where one of us is the killer (I'm forgetting the name), Divinity 2 (as long as we make a pact beforehand about play styles, not playing ahead, etc... I mean, it'd be just like our D&D game, right?), and pretty much anything with co-op components. However, we have to find something we're all interested in and stick to a once a week model. We're old and life has happened. We can't expect to get on 6 nights a week like our LoL prime days. We've got to manage it like we do D&D.

So fuck it. The Steam sale goes on until the 3rd. HUNT. Hunt for games that capture YOUR interest and hunt for games that would capture OUR interest. They don't get cheaper than now, so let's start looking.

Is there another MMORPG out there that we're missing? Is Divinity 2 the only multi D&D campaign out there? Is there a deep multiplayer space 4x game (Pretty sure that would grab a few of the guys here)? There's got to be games for us that are out there, we just don't see them.

Sorry, I'm ranting.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I've learned that RTS's don't work for us because there's always one of us that goes ape shit over it, studies it like a boss, and ruins it for everyone else as they stomp the others with ease. There are no RTS's out there where we are on an even playing field. There are fun ones. . .just not ones where either I get stomped, or I stomp. Back in the day, there was only 2, maybe three to pick from. So our skills were pretty even because we were playing the same ones. Now there are dozens and we are all playing different ones.

I LOVE the turn based strategy games right now. XCOM, Wasteland 2, Shadowland, etc. I just don't know of any that are co-op. Other than Divinity. I would play Divinity, but there would have to be ground rules as Leisher stated.

I would play L4D 1/2, Payday 1/2, The Forest (persistent servers yet?), Don't Starve.

As far as 4x games, it would have to be one that wouldn't take weeks. I have NO interest in the CIV games with 20 minute delays between turns and last 80+ hours.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I always thought "Sins of a Solar Empire" on a massive, 3-star map would be a good multi game. We'd have time and room to max-build our fleets, and then bump heads. Could take 15-20 hours per game, over multiple sessions.