Steam - The Future is Now

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I think all RPGs are (should be) multi games.

A game like Divinity is only playable as multi, in my opinion. However, it's important to set ground rules ahead of time, I found. Just like in Baulder's Gate, if one guy wants to be bad, and no one else does, it REALLY affects the playability of the game. Who would skip dialog in a game like that? Also, there aren't a million weapons all .05% better/worse than each other. I also don't like playing with people who have played before. Because they end up guiding you through the game. I have that happening now in Grim Dawn. One of the players keeps giving us quest items he's farmed with his other more powerful character to 'help' us.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: A game like Divinity is only playable as multi, in my opinion.
I haven't played a second, but unless it's designed as a multi game, I'm not sure what you mean.
Cakedaddy wrote: However, it's important to set ground rules ahead of time, I found. Just like in Baulder's Gate, if one guy wants to be bad, and no one else does, it REALLY affects the playability of the game.
Totally agree. I could do it if everyone went in understanding that X doesn't want to skip story, A doesn't want to play a good guy, etc.
Cakedaddy wrote: Who would skip dialog in a game like that?
It happened.
Cakedaddy wrote: I also don't like playing with people who have played before. Because they end up guiding you through the game.
I hate that too, but if I'm multing with you and you make me miss the story or don't let me explore, you are giving me permission to play the game on my own.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

On another topic, Steam has completely changed the way I shop for games.

For years I typically only buy a game when it's on sale (except for titles I want to support like Borderlands, Metro, etc.). However, now I even will avoid buying a game on sale when I know it'll be on sale again during an event where I can also earn XP for buying it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Yeah, despite how worthless XP is, I'd rather have it. Or cards
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

XP is essentially achievements and badges for your Steam account.

If I had a game on sale for $19.99 without Steam achievements and the EXACT SAME game on sale for $19.99 with achievements, which one are you buying?
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote:
Cakedaddy wrote: A game like Divinity is only playable as multi, in my opinion.
I haven't played a second, but unless it's designed as a multi game, I'm not sure what you mean.
Cakedaddy wrote: However, it's important to set ground rules ahead of time, I found. Just like in Baulder's Gate, if one guy wants to be bad, and no one else does, it REALLY affects the playability of the game.
Totally agree. I could do it if everyone went in understanding that X doesn't want to skip story, A doesn't want to play a good guy, etc.
Cakedaddy wrote: Who would skip dialog in a game like that?
It happened.
Cakedaddy wrote: I also don't like playing with people who have played before. Because they end up guiding you through the game.
I hate that too, but if I'm multing with you and you make me miss the story or don't let me explore, you are giving me permission to play the game on my own.
It's playable by two people, but can also be played solo. But I think you would lose a lot of the fun if you played by yourself. Having a real, thinking, person playing the other character that you can talk to and discuss things with, is more fun than just going through a story alone. Again, in my opinion.

I've always been patient when it comes to letting people do the story, etc. I don't think I place as much importance on it as other people do. But that's also why I let them click on everything. I'll look over their shoulder and pay attention. But I don't need to be the driver. And I'm not going to stop someone from exploring stuff. I'd even let them pick the current quest goal. In boarderland, I didn't pressure you to move along with your weapon choices. When the topic came up, I would voice my opinion that you spent a LOT of time on it. But you be you. I can shoot random stuff in town, jump on buildings trying to get to places I'm not supposed to be, etc. If my shorter attention span fiddling bothered you, then that's on you. You have your fun picking through exactly the same weapons, but let me have my fun too while you are doing it! I know Gordon would rush people along. But then, he had his bed time he couldn't miss. He was also the one that ruined Baulder's Gate. Why do we still play with him?

Agreed on the last statement. I'm playing Grim Dawn separately for the reasons stated already. However, the other person is WAY ahead of me, so it's really not an issue.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Leisher wrote: XP is essentially achievements and badges for your Steam account.

If I had a game on sale for $19.99 without Steam achievements and the EXACT SAME game on sale for $19.99 with achievements, which one are you buying?
I would buy the one that caught my attention first. I think there was one sale a few years back that I cared about achievements. But it was only so I would have access to cards that I could sell for up to $.10 each. I rarely pay attention to achievements in or out of games. I honestly didn't know there were sales where you could get achievements, and some where you didn't. I'll go one further and say I didn't know there were achievements for buying games! Sure, I did it a few years back, but most of that was based on posting pictures, messaging friends, shit like that. Trying to get my Steam level higher. And when it was over, all of that left my brain immediately.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: I know Gordon would rush people along. But then, he had his bed time he couldn't miss. He was also the one that ruined Baulder's Gate. Why do we still play with him?
Hehe, Gordo's always been a fun playing partner, but for BL2 he definitely didn't like me fiddling with weapons, and I didn't like being rushed. I was more irritated that we did BL2 with Malcolm, and almost immediately after starting Stranger became available to play. I would have FAR preferred to play through with him. That really hurt my enjoyment, especially as Malcolm revealed himself to be such a tool. I remember you said that you'd never play a game with him again. For Baldur's Gate, wasn't Gordo drunk or something that night? I don't really remember the night, I just remember thinking that I probably would prefer sticking to RPGs solo.

Like I said, I might be willing to give it another go, but I'd make sure whoever it was knew my play style going in.

While the Steam sales are going on, are there any games we're interested in? I still wouldn't mind going back and trying to actually beat The Forest.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I wish the Winter sale started a little earlier. I'm already back at work on Jan 3rd.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm swimming in PTO days, so I'm off from end of day on the 21st until the 7th.

Bring on the sale!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Top wishlisted games.

Metro Exodus is #3. People have good taste...
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Winter sale begins tomorrow (Dec 20th).
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

8 cards for voting, plus 1 card for going through your queue up to 3 times per day
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've been sitting here going through my wishlist eliminating games I'm no longer interested in. I'm down to 560...

To be fair, I use the Wishlist more as a way to keep track of games I might want, not definitely want.

Also, I only got through about 10% before I got distracted.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I think I have 10 games on my list.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I had one on there, but then I bought it when it went on sale.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I need suggestions for games. Needs to be not too complicated or expensive, but fun.

This is my favorite game I've played in the past 1.5 years: https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/28/16213 ... ch-ubisoft
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

So you need a game for an 8 year old?

Seriously, what genre do you like?

I know of a ton of small, cheap games that were fun.

Bastion, Limbo, Evoland, The Tiny Bang Story, Unepic, etc.

For slightly bigger, there's Portal, Portal 2, Trine, Trine 2, Torchlight, etc.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote: So you need a game for an 8 year old?

Seriously, what genre do you like?
Maybe? Honestly, things I can play with my kids would be nice.

Portal + Portal 2 were good. Evoland is kind meh.

Trine 2 - Was waiting for this to come to the Switch to play with my kids. Heard Trine 1 wasn't as good, and Trine 3 was terrible.