The Forest

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I grabbed this last night based on the Rust team's recommendation and because it's cheap. It's in alpha and is currently the number one selling game on Steam.

Basically, it's a single player, horror themed Rust.

There's no instruction manual yet or a very good tutorial that I noticed, so it was sort of boring early on, which I thought was intentional. Turns out, I was just lucky.

I'll write more later when I've played it for more than an hour, but if you happen to pick it up, right mouse blocks. (Wish I had known that when I started the first time.)
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Fucking A - this game goes from boring to YOU ARE DEAD in like 2 seconds.

e: and between playing this game, they added giant fucking sharks to the water areas near important resources. This is a horror game.

Edited By Troy on 1407609693
Troy

Post by Troy »

So the bow sucks, it's mostly for hunting. You basically get two lives, and expect to die a bunch.

The enemies are stronger then you, but you can outrun them if you have enough energy.

Fuck the sharks. Apparently you can build a house-boat.

Edited By Troy on 1407628758
Troy

Post by Troy »

Scary game is now on sale.

They are doing Co-op for this. I think it's only 2 player right now, but they are expanding.

Will be fun-as-shit when they get it going with more players. Also, likely the only way i'll ever be able to really play this scary ass game.

Have added tree-houses and actually functional house-boats since I last posted. e: and another cannibal faction

Edited By Troy on 1417467016
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote:Will be fun-as-shit when they get it going with more players. Also, likely the only way i'll ever be able to really play this scary ass game.
Agreed and I'd be in.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

When's the Steam xmas sale? I might get this. Also in for some Gauntleting.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

If this drops a bit, I'll go for it. Or wait until 2-Jan.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I still don't know how I feel about this game.

I do know there are WAY too many enemies.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:I still don't know how I feel about this game.

I do know there are WAY too many enemies.
Just more to mow down.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Not that type of game.

If you're fighting, you're fucked.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Spent an hour with this last night. Still not in love with it, but they are continuing work, which is promising.

Now you are hidden when crouching or tougher to spot. It also will help you to know if you've been spotted as the hidden icon doesn't show up if you crouch and someone sees you.

Also, the game isn't an instant fail if you're found. In an hour I was discovered three times, but all by solo people. They didn't run to alert their tribe before I could kill them, so that was nice.

However...

In that hour I hadn't even built a single shelter yet and was discovered twice. In fact, I was discovered while cutting down the very first tree to build a shelter. That's still WAY too often.

I quit after the third one appeared in pitch black night and killed me without me being able to see.

Still a lot of work to go for them, but it's getting better.
Troy

Post by Troy »

It's co-op now right? Seems like the sort of game that would be better with other people.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It is co-op, and I'd be interested in playing it as such, but I don't know who else has it. Also, because it's Alpha I don't know that I want to recommend it. The development process, while actively continuing, has been sloooooooow.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Played a lot of this over the weekend as I'm taking a break from Rust to ensure it doesn't get stale.

(Plus, my base is unraidable and the server I'm on...well...things got hostile...REALLY, REALLY hostile. Like a guy reporting the best man at his wedding for cheating, he wasn't, and then rage quitting with his wife.)

Anyway, I finally figured out combat. Blocking is mandatory and it takes a bit to master. Once you get that down you can start using the enemies' patterns against them. I've even taken down two of the massive flesh beasts with molotovs. A group of enemies is still dangerous, but no longer a game ender for me.

I'm still working on base building though as custom bases aren't as easy as in Rust and Arc. I have built the houseboat and it's pretty cool.

I also figured out food, which is tougher than you'd think.

I'm still working on learning to safely explore and how to craft.

I haven't tried co-op yet as I'd rather play with someone I know than a random...not even sure you can partner with a random?
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: The Forest

Post by Leisher »

So in a recent chat with a former forum dweller, The Forest is becoming more of an interesting gaming option. Co-op allowing up to 8 people could be a lot of fun. The game is only $15 in Alpha so it's not a huge purchase either.

The pros: It's gorgeous, combat is fun, a pretty big world to explore, the enemies get smarter and deadlier the longer you survive, crafting, building, the price, no assholes calling you a noob or blaming you for your team's loss, etc.

The cons: No human opponents, it's still Early Access, (tied into the last one, but...) no end game yet.

If you have interest, let me know.

Things I've learned about the game:
-The development team is only 3 guys. Simply amazing what they're done with such a small team.
-They do outsource some things.
-They put themselves on a clock that counts down each month to the next update. Similar to how Facepunch do Rust updates on a schedule (every Thursday).
-My guy is now alive on Day 62 and I've just seen the cannibals doing shit I've never seen them do previously. No recent patches either, so this isn't new behavior. They've scaled to match my progress.

I'm pretty sure a new patch is due in the next few days.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Would be down to play this weekend.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'll let Cake know and see if he's available. I know I'm working a school carnival Friday, but I should be open Saturday night.

Anyone else interested or just with questions, let me know.

I just looked and a new patch is hitting any minute. The countdown timer is stopped and it says the patch is pending. No idea what changes are coming in it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

We had a successful outing Saturday. I created a server for 4 people, but we only had 3 playing.

It's a different game playing co-op versus solo. The biggest difference is that we seemed to take damage when we shouldn't have taken damage. The tactics that worked for me in the solo game didn't work here. I found that to be interesting. Not sure if its a bug or intentional?

We decided to build right where our plane crashed, which probably wasn't the brightest idea. It's like cannibal central. Still, the big bad mutants haven't shown up yet.

We have a decent base going, but it's not fortified yet. One person, Stranger, seems to take a little too much pleasure in eating people and/or setting fire to their corpses...
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Fun game! I really did enjoy the fact that you could chop off the limbs of the deceased, hang them to dry and eat it up when it was cured.

Things I liked:

The inventory system, its a unique way to show what items you have and feel like you are immersed in the game.

I liked how the game would show you what items we needed to collect and gather to finish certain things like, water gathering stations, meat drying racks, tree forts... It made it easy to see what you were looking for even when you might not have known you were looking for it.

Enemy AI. Sure they were pretty tough, but I don't think it was totally unfair. I also liked that they would stay at range and kind of stalk you and not just bum rush you like some enemy AI does.

Beautiful.. I love it when the wind blows through the trees and the tall grasses blow and tree limbs sway.

Scary. there were a couple times when I could hear a zombie (not sure what they are) and not see where they were at, it was pretty tense a few times. And once a thunderstorm was rolling in and the thunder and coming darkness made it really eerie and gave a sense of "better get back to the tree house, now"

Things I didn't like:

walking into our own traps.. did this a few too many times
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:One person, Stranger, seems to take a little too much pleasure in eating people and/or setting fire to their corpses...
My wife was surprised at how much I enjoyed running enemies over in BL2
It's not me, it's someone else.