Black Desert Online

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Desert Online

Post by Leisher »

Why are there no other players in Calpheon?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Black Desert Online

Post by Stranger »

Come to think of it, the population does seem to be lower there than in Velia and Heidel. But i do remember seeing people huddled around the storage keeper so there are some people around there. But i can't play on the Steam servers so i'm not sure about the population on those servers.

I really feel like this game doesn't do a very good job of giving people incentive to group up until much later in the game. Really until you get to level 50 there is almost no reason to group up, then there are some quests that suggest grouping up to kill some tough enemies, infact i need help killing some mobs that i can't seem to get done by myself yet.

At level 50 going up levels seems to take quite a bit longer, i've hit level 52 and the grind is much heavier that the first 50 levels. Also at level 50 PvP opens up, i haven't even had one encounter yet. It just seems like i see other people around but they are unconcerned with what anybody else is doing and i feel the same way. If i'm killing mobs and others are around i don't feel like i've gotta kill them to get my objective done because the mobs re-spawn so quickly.

I really wish the game did more to compel you to group up with others, it just feels like others are running around in there own little world doing their own thing. Archeage did a great job of getting people to want to get together for whatever you felt like doing, if it was stealing trade packs or doing those PvP zones for bonus items. i'm not seeing that so far in this game, but i'm still a beginner as far as this game is concerned.

i know end game there is alot of guild vs guild fighting over territories on the map and that gives taxes and other benefits to that guild, and thats all cool and fun but i'm not sure i'll ever get serious enough that i would want to join a guild.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Desert Online

Post by Leisher »

I'm currently lvl 47, so I guess I will be at 50 by the weekend and able to group up.

Although, am I in this game for the long haul? I don't know.

LOTS to love, but some really, really, really, really bad and/or odd design choices.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Desert Online

Post by Leisher »

I'm stuck.

I had been logged in for 48 hours and played about 15 minutes.

I'm still level 47, but I'm having a hell of a time continuing on. Why? Mainly because of crafting, trading, storage, homes, etc.

The fighting is still so awesome and satisfying. However, that other stuff is so ridiculously complex and there are close to no instructions.

Who made the design decision to limit inventory so much? Who made the decision to spam you with items while you have limited storage? Who is behind the housing and how it works? How about the programmer behind storing your items in various cities and having to travel the whole map to get X? Not to mention hoping that's where you stored X...

All of those people should be fired.

That stuff has created a mental block for me. I just can't get past it.

I don't know what to sell and what to keep. I have items on me worth hundreds of thousands that I can't sell in the marketplace and the shop owners don't want them. WTF?

I have all these crafting things, and again, what do I keep and what do I dump? Why can't it just ask you what trades you want to follow and specifically guide me to those tasks and not the rest of the bullshit?

I just looked in my quests list and realized there are 4 tabs: Ongoing, Main, Suggested, and Recurring. I've done ZERO quests in all categories except Ongoing. WTF? None in main? Shouldn't the game automatically start me on quest fucking #1 at the beginning?

I like this game. It's beautiful. It's deep.

I can't get past these dumb ass design decisions though. I haven't quit, but if I hear that Stranger and Cake are done, I'd walk away from it forever.
Stranger

Black Desert Online

Post by Stranger »

I'm still playing it, just usually log in once a day and maybe do a few quests or some other bullshit then log out. Weekends i might do a little more, just depends on my mood and if i wanna deal with all the shit that you just explained.

Usually i sell everything.. I keep the black stones (weapon and armor) and cron stones and memory fragments. You will needs these in mass quantities later in the game if you ever get into enhancing your weapons or armor. But then again you don't really need to because every weapon or armor you could want, even the best in the game can be bought with silver. So my goal is to just sell everything and gimme that silver, i'll just buy whatever weapon i want. You will just need TONS and TONS of silver, i'm talking in the hundreds of millions and even billions. There are single weapons that i've seen selling for well over 7 Billion silver! So my advice, just sell whatever you don't know what to do with. Some items like armors you get from the black spirit quests are family bound and you can't sell those.

So that alone should help you with inventory. If you are at level 47 and doing the black spirit quests then you should be pretty close to Media territory, there are tons of towns you come across that you can store shit in. Yes its a huge pain in the ass to have your money and items all across the world map but you can transport them from the world map page, it costs very little money and takes like 30 minutes or maybe more but you can get all the items you want in the cities you want that way.

The game is fun but very confusing too, i know exactly what you are talking about and i still get overwhelmed by some of the shit that goes on. But i've decided that i'm just going for silver, gimme dat cash and i'll buy the best weapons and armor. you can get pretty good +15 weapons and armor for around 15-20 million a piece, thats a good starting point and will take you well into the game. Not sure how much silver you have on you, i'm sure its strewn all over the map like mine is but sell your shit consolidate your funds and see how much silver you have then i can help you make a decision on what to buy.

We'll just need to get into game and chat, it will be much easier to explain some of the things that way. Also, i'm not sure if Cake is playing anymore. According to my friends list in game he hasn't logged in for like 15 days..
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Desert Online

Post by Leisher »

Yeah, we can talk one night in game. That might help me out.

I'll see if selling everything gets my spark going again because I love the combat.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Desert Online

Post by Leisher »

It's downloading a 15.2 GB patch. Holy shit.
Stranger

Black Desert Online

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: It's downloading a 15.2 GB patch. Holy shit.
I saw this on BDO's Twitter account.
Steam's CDN operates in a different way from the normal client, thus the increased size
What the hell does that mean? I don't have the Steam version and my download it 4.5GB.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Black Desert Online

Post by TheCatt »

CDN = Content Delivery System. Basically, how Steam packages updates/etc is different than the normal client, for whatever reason.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Desert Online

Post by Leisher »

FYI Stranger, Cake and I spoke recently and he said he uninstalled the game on the advice of one of his workers. Apparently, that guy plays non-stop and says it's a grind fest. Grind to gain +1 on something, then grind a lot more for another +1. Plus, all the other stuff it was already missing like proper housing and whatnot.

Based on the size of my library, I then decided to also walk away from the game. If you want my stuff I'd happily log back in and give it all over to you.
Stranger

Black Desert Online

Post by Stranger »

Eh. thanks but no thanks..

I haven't logged in for about 10 days now and it just felt to much like a single player MMO. The game is a cluster fuck of inventory and its overwhelming to say the least.

Its ashamed, because the fighting is by far the best ive seen in an MMO. Grinding is a part of every MMO so that doesn't bother me, i just accept that i will never have as much as the hardcore players in a game like this. But the fact that the game has no incentive to group up with your friends really makes it a no go in the long run.

I'll most likely be uninstalling this monstrosity of a 60GB game taking up so much space on my SSD..
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Black Desert Online

Post by Leisher »

Stranger wrote: because the fighting is by far the best ive seen in an MMO
Couldn't agree more.