DotA2

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Steam page

Not a ton of info yet.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That could be a scene out of League of Legends.

Assuming this game doesn't actually have Pixar-quality gameplay graphics.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

That could be a scene out of League of Legends.

That's because they're the same thing. Blizzard's will be too. There isn't a ton of variables in the genre, but it's still a blast. I suppose someone could give it new settings like they do with tower defense games, RPGs, RTSs, FPSs, etc.

Assuming this game doesn't actually have Pixar-quality gameplay graphics.

Ha! Leisher has slain Nemo!

Back to DotA 2, we're just keeping our eyes on it. It's a Valve product, and the early word is that they've really put a lot into it.

On a related note, I wish one of these developers would do tournaments. It can't be that difficult. I realize a million people would enter, but there's got to ways to make things run quickly and smoothly.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I signed up for the beta.

I will specialize in making opponents feel better about themselves.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

LoL does do them. Season one just ended. It had a $100,000 prize pool. Season two is going to have a $5,000,000 prize pool.

As seen here.

Here's another article.

Edited By Cakedaddy on 1315859427
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

All of these games are based on the Defense of the Ancients mod that was made with Warcraft III.

Valve hired the original modder which is why I believe they get to use the actually name with their sequal.

Also Valve had a million dollar tournament for DotA 2 at gamescom. The best DotA players competed in an early build of the game.

Edited By WSGrundy on 1315861057
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Signed up for the beta as well, and watched some game replays from a tourny they had.

This game looks to be identical to LoL, but with better graphics... and I don't know if that is an improvement. In LoL I can glance at the minimap and, while a little cartoony, I can see immediately the status of the battlefield. The minimap in DoTA2 is more realistic, and a little harder to get a sense of what is happening at a glance. Things blend better. Which isn't really good.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Beta is growing.

IF you get invited, you will also receive multiple copies to give to friends.

Edited By Leisher on 1320267415
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I got a survey today for it.

It seems like they are, unfortunately, looking for people who have actually played Dota before.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

I didn't bother finishing it when all the questions were about your DotA experience.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I put a whole bunch of blanks and zeroes.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I actually wrote the dev team about the survey.

They held open signups for the beta, yet the survey assumes you've played DOTA, and there's no place to indicate that you haven't and/or you play other dota genre games like LoL?

Terrible.

That being said, I hope I get selected.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Lol.

I got picked.

CONGRATUlATIONS!
YOU HAVE BEEN INVITED TO PLAY DOTA 2
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Are you playing?
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I downloaded it. So that's progress.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have now also been selected.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Let me know what to do :)
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I just watched a DOTA2 match because there doesn't seem to be any documentation whatsoever, and no bot games.

I was lost. It was just a huge jumbled mess and it moved MUCH faster than LoL.

Here's what I saw:
-The 5v5 map is much bigger, but the same layout.
-There are a ton more jungle monsters.
-Several characters did the clone thing. One of them had 4 and they all seemed to have as many hits points as the original.
-Turrets and minions didn't seem to matter. There wasn't much farming going on, except of the jungle creatures. Turret diving was common, and the turrets didn't seem to do much damage. I watched a few guys standing there while getting hit by both nexus turrets and they didn't seem worried at all. Very little damage. The best way I can describe it is to compare them to the old damage model for minions in LoL. They do fire faster, but the damage didn't seem to equal LoL's turrets even with the faster firing rate.
-No inhibitor. Instead, there's two barracks behind each turret. When you take them down, all of your minions become "Mega", and they seem to be super charged.
-Lots of buildings in your base. No idea why.
-Some characters seemed to do no damage at all, and they just ran every fight. Others seemed to do a ton. One guy, a skeleton king, would die, and immediately resurrect like Phoenix Armor, only he did it constantly.
-There was a baron type creature that didn't seem as tough as baron.
-This game is far better looking, but I think that works against it. It's a lot more difficult to find your way through the jungle, and the lack of colors make it harder to see things.
-Different roles for the characters, and the focus of players seems to be more about jungling and fighting each other. Ones I remember are bounty hunter, ganker, pusher, support, initiator, and I think there's one more.
-People who die can buy their way back in immediately. There were no moments where an ace occurred and the other team was able to push. This might have contributed to the sluggish pace of the game despite everything going so much faster.
-I saw lots of cursing, inappropriate names, and a "U mad bro?". I don't think Valve has any sort of tribunal system in place yet.

I don't know how I feel about it yet. It looked very confusing. I think LoL is still the better game. LoL's more cartoony graphics and slower pace work heavily in its favor.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I was just watching a video about the new LoL character and realized the biggest problem with DOTA2. Their champions were barely recognizable.

A guy in the video was talking about how awesome the new LoL character is when running because of his facial expressions, and there is none of that in DOTA2.

The camera is set too far back, and none of the characters come across well. I had to really focus and zoom in the camera see if a few were even humanoid. Many times I'd click them to see their profile picture, and many didn't really look like they were the same character.

Also, maybe the camera is different for watchers, but when I zoomed in, it seemed to have 3, maybe 4, settings, and as you got closer, it also leveled the camera to the battlefield. That means at the closest zoom I was also looking in a straight line (almost). Not good for a genre where attacks come from all directions.

It might be a bit different according to the video below, but it still sucks.

Still, the shopping seems to be cooler as a flying donkey delivers your goods to you. Really.

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value=" name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>