Friday the 13th

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Pre-Alpha Footage.

Apparently, this is going to be like Left 4 Dead except 1 person will get to be Jason.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: Friday the 13th

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The gameplay:
What this means is that the individual suited up as Jason will be intentionally overpowered, leaving gamers in the role of camp councillor [sic] to do whatever it takes to simply survive. Tragically for them, the machete-wielding maniac is capable of teleporting, seeing audio cues on-screen, detecting nearby campers through obstacles, and even entering a rage mode that makes the killer nearly indestructible. These attacks do have a recharge time, but all campers can do throughout their session is run or hide from the mass murderer, and there’s simply no telling when or where Vorhees will show up thanks to his wide selection of abilities.
I'm trying to figure exactly what the long term potential of this is. If you give the teleporting tank x-ray vision, a further hulk mode, and wtf-ever "seeing audio cues on-screen" means, then the plan for the hunted is going to be easy: book it as fast as possible to find weapons, group up, and ambush/zerg rush Jason in the most convenient map area. The end. That seems rather shallow.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It sounds like a L4D multiplayer mode type of game.

I hadn't looked into the game play, but that doesn't inspire confidence. Of course, isn't the point of Friday the 13th movies that everybody dies except the last chick? I mean all the guys might as well be wearing red shirts.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:It sounds like a L4D multiplayer mode type of game.
Exactly. But even the tank zombie in L4D was mortal. You had automatic weapons, explosives, molotovs, and you could kill the mofo, it just took some coordination and a solid 30-45 seconds. Imagine if the L4D tank was twinked even more. The only thing that keeps this from being a total wash for the campers is speed (and even that seems negated by the teleportation abilities being implied) or some way to fight back against being little more than murder mannequins (also seemingly negated by repeated mentions of Jason's stamina and "invincibility"). It'll be fun for one, maybe two gaming sessions before "wait around until I'm Jason" gets boring as shit.
Leisher wrote:I hadn't looked into the game play, but that doesn't inspire confidence. Of course, isn't the point of Friday the 13th movies that everybody dies except the last chick? I mean all the guys might as well be wearing red shirts.
That might work for a movie I'm watching. It doesn't work for a game I'm playing.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Delayed because some genius realized that a one-sided murder simulator might have replayability issues.
The single-player element will include both offline play with AI bots and "several missions ripped straight from the films." Tommy Jarvis, who has killed Jason at least once previously, will also be added to the game as a playable character, and Packanack Lodge is coming in as a third playable map.
If the multi-player mode includes people who can fight back, like say Tommy Jarvis or Tina Shepherd, then shit gets interesting. Even if it's only a fraction of campers who can be relative bad-asses (2-3 out of every group), it'll make it several notches more fun.
Malcolm

Friday the 13th

Post by Malcolm »

New trailer. While I saw some campers walking around armed, I didn't see any putting up significant resistance. Boring.
Malcolm

Friday the 13th

Post by Malcolm »

8 players, 1 jason. The big dude is apparently killable but it's supposed to be a pain. Campers can also beat a survival clock but Jason's teleportation is going to make running next to useless.
Leisher
Site Admin

Friday the 13th

Post by Leisher »

I saw some people playing this and it looked fun, but only fun for an evening.
Malcolm

Friday the 13th

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote: I saw some people playing this and it looked fun, but only fun for an evening.
Unless the Jason takedown is plausibly repeatable, I give it two hours of interest before all the kills are exhausted. Now Jason v. Freddy v. Michael Myers and some others could have potential if the property rights could be licenced.
Malcolm

Friday the 13th

Post by Malcolm »

How to kill Jason. Just goddamn. Keep in mind he's invulnerable, all his attacks are virtually insta-kills, he has radar vision, and he has teleportation powers.
The first step is to find the CB Radio. The item can then be used to talk to Tommy Jarvis, who can be convinced to come to Camp Crystal Lake to help the trapped counselors.

After players have contacted Tommy, one of the counselors will need to either die or escape the camp. Afterwards, there is a chance that Tommy will enter Camp Crystal Lake. He comes with a shotgun, but the player who controls him will need to find a machete to kill Jason.

The third step is for a female counselor to enter Jason's house and acquire the sweater from his mother's shrine. Upon getting the sweater, the character will wear it. It comes with a special ability that can only be used once, so it should not be wasted.

The next step is the hardest, as players will need to remove Jason's mask. The best way to do so would be to stun him with a trap, and then players can use a blunt weapon such as a bat to keep hitting Jason until the mask is knocked off. Jason may be able to respond from the attack, and so it is possible that at least one player will die in this step.

The fifth step is for Tommy to pick up the mask and wear it. This step seems to be an optional one, but there is no harm in making sure that the process works.

Next, the player wearing the sweater will need to stun Jason by standing near him and then activating the special ability provided by the sweater once he moves closer. The voice of Jason's mother will stun him, but only momentarily, so the final steps will need to be done quickly. If players fail, there is no way to try it again as the sweater's ability can no longer be triggered.

Once Jason is stunned, players will need to launch an all-out attack against him until he drops to his knees, signaling that the end is near.

Once Jason is on his knees, the player controlling Tommy should then approach him and press the Interact button. A cut scene will then play showing the death of Jason.
So that's:

1) find quest item #1
2) roll some dice and hope Tommy spawns when your camp counselor exits the scene alive or otherwise
3) locate a specific weapon
4) locate quest item #2
5) beat the fuck out of the unkillable juggernaut hard enough to literally knock the mask from his face
6) if the chick with quest item #2 isn't dead, use the one-shot ability
7) beat the fuck out of the unkillable juggernaut even harder until he can't stand up
8) if Tommy's not dead yet, use the weapon from step #3

Steps 6-8 have to be done relatively quickly and you only get one chance. This also implies you should get the CB radio in step #1 and always send a dude to try and trigger Tommy so you've got a final girl. Hmm, I suppose Jason's strategy is to kill all the women.
Malcolm

Friday the 13th

Post by Malcolm »

Jason tips. In addition to his god-like abilities, he also has traps and he can stall running car engines by punching them.

And for counselors.
Leisher
Site Admin

Friday the 13th

Post by Leisher »