Xbox One

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

I'm talking about how you're shitting on people for not having your knowledge or interests or even being just like you. (That's mostly Trooper's argument.)

Not even close to my argument, you must not have read my posts 0.o

I give up.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Trooper wrote:
I'm talking about how you're shitting on people for not having your knowledge or interests or even being just like you. (That's mostly Trooper's argument.)
Not even close to my argument, you must not have read my posts 0.o

I give up.
TRUE gamers, take the time and effort to build their machines, part by part. Most understand the inner workings of their rigs, and often take pride in the hard work they put into their masterpiece. You won't see a console gamer raving the power of their newly installed Nvidia 980 Maxwell GPU. . . . . Not a true gamer in my opinion. . . .

Build your own rig, love and understand what it does. Then you can come to me and tell me your system is better than mine. Until then, console gaming will forever be, the poor mans excuse for a gaming machine. Get lost, noobs. ;D

Ok.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Trooper

Post by Trooper »

Yes. I said a true gamer knows their system, and until they REALLY do, they should fuck back off to delusion world. . . . .
Build your own rig, love and understand what it does. Then you can come to me and tell me your system is better than mine.

As posted by you:
EA's CTO is a fucking moron.

He actually said: "The X-Box One is a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market."

Tell me again, who the elitest douche is? That's right, the console gamer. Just like the classic "Controllers are better" bullshit.

Edited By Trooper on 1411257791
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

I said a true gamer knows their system, and until they REALLY do...

Consoles games can know their hardware down to the serial numbers. But my PC is 100x more adaptable and has a better physical UI.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

MS XBox head bails.
But more importantly, Multerer's departure means that almost every single person on the Xbox One team we profiled last November when that console launched has now either left the company or been reassigned under new Xbox chief Phil Spencer. Microsoft's original vision of the Xbox One as a general-purpose living room platform has been drastically scaled back — Spencer is a games guy.

Because when I think "long term" and "profitability" I immediately think "console gaming." Way better bet than PC gaming.

The renewed focus on gaming has led to short-term sales success, but consoles last a decade, and the long-term vision is no longer clear.

That implies it once was. MS is so clueless, they couldn't find an STD in a Taiwanese whorehouse run by Tila Tequila.

Edited By Malcolm on 1420141474
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Halo tourney cancelled because the awesome XBox Live network still hasn't mastered connecting nodes to one another on demand.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

360 compatibility!

Wish it had shipped this way.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

How many years did that shit take?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I bet a dollar they could have done it since Day 1, but their long term plan was to release the console, let the initial sales level out, then release this "new" functionality 2 years later to spike interest again for late adopters.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Malcolm wrote:How many years did that shit take?
2 years.

I only have room/care for 1 console.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

If the great majority game developers allow their stuff to port over to XBone, which seems to be the only limit on compatibility, I may pull the trigger on it for my kid. He's going to need a BD player for the attic and that would be a good one.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote:If the great majority game developers allow their stuff to port over to XBone, which seems to be the only limit on compatibility, I may pull the trigger on it for my kid. He's going to need a BD player for the attic and that would be a good one.
I'm a little curious as to why it doesn't "just work," and the developer has to opt in?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I assumed it was a licensing issue... developer was contracted to provide a game for XBox 360, not the One.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote:If the great majority game developers allow their stuff to port over to XBone, which seems to be the only limit on compatibility, I may pull the trigger on it for my kid. He's going to need a BD player for the attic and that would be a good one.

I'm a little curious as to why it doesn't "just work," and the developer has to opt in?

Because MS can't make anything "just work." You have to jump through flaming razor-blade hoops of death and contort your mind to see things "their way" before you can use their tech.

Edited By Malcolm on 1434398849
Vince

Post by Vince »

I know when the 360 came out, the original Xbox titles would work if the developers released a patch for them. Many of the more popular titles did this. I remember it being a relatively small patch in all the cases I remember. I'm wanting to say they had to write the hooks for the sound and audio for the new hardware in the 360, if memory serves.
"... and then I was forced to walk the Trail of Tears." - Elizabeth Warren
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vince wrote:I know when the 360 came out, the original Xbox titles would work if the developers released a patch for them. Many of the more popular titles did this. I remember it being a relatively small patch in all the cases I remember. I'm wanting to say they had to write the hooks for the sound and audio for the new hardware in the 360, if memory serves.

So ... IF all the dev studios that made the 360 games are still in biz and IF they want to drop resources on it? How many places would look at it and say, "Fuck it. We already gave them a game. We aren't updating shit?"

Edited By Malcolm on 1434403465
Vince

Post by Vince »

A lot of the developers did so last time around. Not sure if it's the same situation this time, but it sounds like it. I know the Star Wars titles got patches and Bioware products did as well. They had a listing on their web site for a while by game name. It actually worked to the developers advantage if they were still around because they were able to package them as downloadable games for $5 or so two or three years later and make some additional cash of old titles.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Vince wrote:A lot of the developers did so last time around. Not sure if it's the same situation this time, but it sounds like it. I know the Star Wars titles got patches and Bioware products did as well. They had a listing on their web site for a while by game name. It actually worked to the developers advantage if they were still around because they were able to package them as downloadable games for $5 or so two or three years later and make some additional cash of old titles.
I suppose. I can see MS making it suck, though. But I'm not a game dev.
Vince

Post by Vince »

I won't say MS can't seriously dick stuff up, but I read through everything back in the day going from the original Xbox and the 360. As memory serves, MS actually tried to make an emulator for the 360 to run Xbox, but it just wasn't able to translate the code fast enough for it to work. So they made the a dev kit for the developers and worked pretty closely with them because people were pretty pissed. I remember I felt that MS was doing everything they could to help with it and ended up feeling more like the game devs dropped the ball when a game didn't get a port patch. A LOT of good will went to the developers from me that took the time and used the resources to throw a patch out there. At least from me.
Vince

Post by Vince »

Gobbily-goop from Wiki on they hows and the whys
How compatibility is achieved[edit]

According to Microsoft, each game needs an emulation profile to run. These profiles can be downloaded via the Xbox Live service or from Xbox.com and burned on CD or DVD recordable media. They are also routinely distributed as part of the content on the Official Xbox Magazine monthly discs (which were discontinued in 2012). The profiles are downloaded as a single bundle, and hence only need to be applied once per update (if doing so offline), or are automatically downloaded the first time a compatible game is inserted.

The official Xbox 360 hard disk is required to play any of the games on this list. The hard disk is used not only to store the emulation software, but also to store saved games, store downloaded content, and to serve as a data cache for titles which utilize disk caching. The official Xbox 360 hard drive is required because counterfeit Xbox 360 hard drives do not have the required emulation software. Since games for the original Xbox were designed with the expectation that a hard drive would always be available, most titles rely heavily on the presence of one.

An early version of the emulator for playing Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2 offline was included with the Xbox 360 hard drive at launch. Xbox 360 hard drives manufactured later include updated emulation profiles which allow a greater range of titles to be played out of the box without updating. Whenever new sets of emulation profiles are released, drives manufactured after that date automatically include the latest update.

The original Xbox controller is not compatible with the Xbox 360, due to its different connector and its marginally different button layout. Specifically, the white and black buttons are not to be found on the 360 controller, having been replaced by the "bumpers" found above the left and right triggers. When playing an Xbox game on the Xbox 360 (using an Xbox 360 controller), the white button is mapped to the left bumper and the black button to the right.