Xbox One

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The new CoD griefing tactic: yelling, "XBOX OFF!!!" as loud as fucking possible and praying it shuts down everyone on comm en masse.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The Xbox One simultaneously runs three separate operating systems. First comes the tiny Host OS, which boots the machine and then launches two other hard-partitioned systems: the Shared partition, an environment that runs any apps (Skype, Live TV, Netflix, etc.) and helps provide processing power for the Kinect sensor and its gesture and voice controls; and the Exclusive partition, which is where games run. Because of the way memory is apportioned in the Shared partition, you can switch between apps with little to no load times, and even snap them into another app or game to use both at the same time.

MS has enough trouble with one OS.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Malcolm wrote:The new CoD griefing tactic: yelling, "XBOX OFF!!!" as loud as fucking possible and praying it shuts down everyone on comm en masse.

you sir, are a step ahead of the game. Hilarious!

... oh wait, wouldn't that turn off your console too?!

Edited By Stranger on 1369168458
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

It says nothing of that room projector thingy, wonder if that will be an add on.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Stranger wrote:
Malcolm wrote:The new CoD griefing tactic: yelling, "XBOX OFF!!!" as loud as fucking possible and praying it shuts down everyone on comm en masse.

you sir, are a step ahead of the game. Hilarious!

... oh wait, wouldn't that turn off your console too?!

A) If you're doing shittily enough, what've you got to lose? It's a couple notches (of douchebaggery) above just logging out in frustration.

B) Maybe you can tape some cotton or something over the voice receiver for your machine.

EDIT: Griefing idea ripped off from...

Edited By Malcolm on 1369177457
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Malcolm wrote:
The Xbox One simultaneously runs three separate operating systems. First comes the tiny Host OS, which boots the machine and then launches two other hard-partitioned systems: the Shared partition, an environment that runs any apps (Skype, Live TV, Netflix, etc.) and helps provide processing power for the Kinect sensor and its gesture and voice controls; and the Exclusive partition, which is where games run. Because of the way memory is apportioned in the Shared partition, you can switch between apps with little to no load times, and even snap them into another app or game to use both at the same time.
MS has enough trouble with one OS.
Does it run ANY apps, or any apps that the XBox will allow? I am a little irked that Sony pulled the "Other OS" option off the PS3 soon after I got it, I had actual plans to load Linux on there and see what I could do with it. I don't like the baked-in music player on the PS3, and would love to have another mp3 player option... but I don't.

For example.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Actual photo of the X-Box One's box:
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

You WILL be kinecting, goddamnit.
“Kinect does require to be connected to Xbox One in all cases, yes,” he [Xbox's UK marketing director Harvey Eagle] said. Asked whether the Xbox One will accommodate people who perhaps play in their bedroom rather than their living room, Eagle replied: “Yes, absolutely. We use the living room almost as a moniker - that's where we assume the best screen is in the house. But if you like to play in any other room in the house, the Xbox One will deliver the same quality of experience whatever the environment.”

Awesome. Let's hear it for forced UIs.

Used games?
The plot, she thickens. “Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc,” Wired stated.]The plot, she thickens. “Microsoft did say that if a disc was used with a second account, that owner would be given the option to pay a fee and install the game from the disc, which would then mean that the new account would also own the game and could play it without the disc,” Wired stated.

Also can't decide if it'll be an "always on" device or not.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Microsoft makes great products.

It's too bad they don't make them for their target consumers.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

It's too bad they don't make them for their target consumers.

MS lost track of their market base years ago. They're just trying to make everything for everyone now. But only if someone else gives them the idea.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

An always-on requirement on a console is a huge dealbreaker for me.

But, as I always say, "Madden 2014 X-Box One only, yo."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

EA's CTO is a fucking moron.

He actually said: "The X-Box One is a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market."

Does anyone, and I mean from the mail room to the CEO, have even the slightest clue what they're doing over at EA?

So is he completely full of shit or really that stupid?

Nobody with an IQ above 50 could honestly believe that ANY console can outpace a high end PC. It's simply not possible based on the fact that console technology is purposely behind the curve because of the price. If they used high end components consoles would cost over $1,000. Nobody would buy consoles that expensive, so they use older, weaker components to get the price down to the $300-$400 range.

Also from the article:
During the launch of the PS3 and Xbox 360, we heard predictions from people such as analyst Michael Pachter and CNET Executive Editor David Carnoy suggesting the new generation would cause a decline in PC gaming.

How'd that prediction work out for you dipshit?

Consoles aren't better. They're gaming for dummies. They don't exist because they're awesome. They exist because of convenience, laziness, and ignorance.

Edited By Leisher on 1369402849
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

There are ways to weasel out of this, but the actual quote is just damning...
Both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 have adopted electronics and an integrated systems-on-a -chip (soc) architecture that unleashes magnitudes more compute and graphics power than the current generation of consoles. These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware...

You are batshit insane. The reason consoles and PCs have different hardware is because consoles can specialize where PCs can't. They are gaming devices and media boxes that are inferior to a PC gaming device/media box in every way that matters, except for initial cost.

I hope MS and Sony paid this dude to virtually lick their digital balls; otherwise, it's just fucking sad.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

MS literally bribing you to watch ads.
Digital credits or physical rewards could be awarded for watching adverts or TV series, and the patent suggests that eye tracking and even heart-rate monitors could even be used to provide viewers with further rewards.

"Goddamnit, they aren't getting the free hat unless they have a mild heart attack!"
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

5 reasons the X-Box One is going to suck.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:5 reasons the X-Box One is going to suck.
Microsoft would be a great company if it weren't for the cadre of dumb-ass execs determined to drive it into the ground.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Leisher wrote:5 reasons the X-Box One is going to suck.
So... it's going to be awesome?
It's not me, it's someone else.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Analysts are still predicting it will be murdered in Japan, where "X1" is a slang term for a failed, divorced loser male.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Microsoft to hold detailed Q&A session at E3 regarding Xbox One.
The company's upcoming press conference at E3 will no doubt deliver more information
Microsoft seems to have cancelled its roundtable discussion at this year's E3

Or maybe not. As the article points out, MS is doing a great job of making Sony look like the better option.