Far Cry Primal

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

10,000 BC, bitches.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm looking forward to this one. The Far Cry games are solid.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Far Cry Primal

Post by Leisher »

Beat this one this morning with a 100% completion rate.

Set in the days of cavemen and sabertooth tigers you're a young Wenja hunter. The Udan tribe, cannibals, comes calling and attacks your people. This sets you on a path of fighting back to free Oros (your homeland) from the Udan and the Izila, a tribe that burns people alive.

This is an FPS game of exploration, farming and crafting (kind of), and fighting.

Exploration is interesting, but gets repetitive by the end game. The world itself is pretty well done. Stuff looks "right". Also, by the first hour you'll have everything you need in your map to know where all the collectibles are and when an area is "clear".

Missions will help guide you around and they're given out by main characters (cut scenes) or randoms. All give you XP, resources, and populate your village. The village aspect is cool. It's your home base and you will need to collect some resources to build it up. The more you build it up, the better for you in resources, missions, etc. Also, the more people that live there, the more bonuses you get. I had my tribe up to 300 (max) around the late middle part of the game and was maxed out on XP not too much later.

XP, exploration, collecting collectibles, etc. all give you the ability to unlock new skills, weapons, tools, etc.

The farming and crafting stuff is really easy and instant. See a pile of clay, a dead tree, a mound of rocks? Harvest it with the push of a button. Want to craft new arrows. Again, a mouse click and you're done.

The fighting is fun and can be intense, even when you've maxed out all your skills. The two boss fights, one for each tribe, are very, very difficult. The animals are also pretty fun to fight. Once you get high powered, you can bring them down with 1-3 spears if you hit them in the right place, but until late they will fuck your day up. One of the great joys is watching NPCs fight animals. Mammoths and rhinos launch dudes through the air. A badger kicks everyone's ass. I watched a sabertooth from a distant once and he picked up a dead guy and carried him away. That was cool.

The best part of fighting is sneaking around on missions, executing baddies, and then hiding their bodies. You get help here via your owl friend who can scout, attack, and drop bombs for you. Did I mention you can also tame animals? Almost every animal in the game can be tamed. Hint: Riding around on your sabertooth is pretty badass.

The story line is just enough to keep you moving. Cut scenes are really short, but there's a trace or two of emotion. However, their short length and spread out distribution keeps you from every really being immersed in the story. This is especially disappointing for the character Dah. His story should have been all sorts of feels, but that lack of immersion really keeps it from being as impactful as it should have been.

Overall, a really good game. If you're a fan of the open world genre (GTA, Far Cry, etc.) then you will probably enjoy this, particularly on sale for $20 or less.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”