Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - Also some Homeworld: Remastered discussi

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

6. Still going through the credits but I think they removed the YES song "The Ladder."
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

7. Now that I think about it, the "Gravity Well" mission is gone. You send in your fighters to find the enemy has gravity well tech, and you need frigates to take them out and free your fighters. I guess they didn't want to do that coding, either.

I honestly don't know why they didn't leave the logic alone and just update the graphics, like how everyone wanted.

This one is prettier but I honestly think the gameplay in the non-remastered version is a magnitude better.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote:I have seen a ton of problems with this redone game and I am surprised I have not heard about it elsewhere.

1. They broke the formations. ...The sphere formation allowed your ships to completely envelop your target and get a 360 degree sphere of sustained fire on it.... now your ships just get in a sphere and wait for something to get in range. They don't envelop. The ships farthest away in the sphere never get in range to fire.

Know what? Last time I played through the original game a couple years ago I took a bunch of screenshots and saved them.

This is the sphere formation. Your selected ships will completely form a 3D bubble around whatever you are shooting and just F it in the A. I couldn't make this work at all in the Remastered version.

From a coding perspective I was always impressed by the formation logic. I really missed it with this clunky shit they replaced it with.

Edited By GORDON on 1439265976
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Here's a more comprehensive list of bugs I found when I googled "homeworld remastered sucks." I saw about 90% of the list.

https://www.reddit.com/r....astered

I'm happy with the graphics but not much else.

Formations for all ships are screwed up and useless, the moment ships get into battle they drop formation and just go nuts.

Combat balancing is way off from where it used to be.

No longer a list on the upper right hand side of what is currently selected that allows you to narrow things down.

Passive/Neutral/Aggressive has been replaced with the HW2 system.

Unnecessary changes to resourcing, asteroids that stay after harvesting and the "locking on" movement the ships have to are slowing down resource gathering.

Resource collectors getting stuck between asteroids.

Paying for research, research took time in the original and it was that way so it would give you a choice when the Bentusi showed up. You can pay for the research from them now or you could wait and do it later if you were confident.

Kadeshi multi beam frigates no longer roll and the beams aren't lined up to where they are supposed to come out of the ship (they are diagonal now when the gun ports are vertical, come on)
"Special" hot key Z has been replaced by a myriad of other keys. You can no longer take repair corvettes/salvage corvettes/support frigates and hold down special while banding over friendlies or enemies forcing more micro management.

No longer fuel, eliminating part of the strategy.

AI for many of the enemy ships is basically non existent. Take the turranic carrier from mission 4 for example. In the original game it would continue sending fighters at you until the cloaked ion array frigates were killed or captured and then it would advance on you itself with two ion array frigates guarding it. The combination of the two frigates ion beams and the two on the carrier were a real threat. Now the carrier literally just sits there off in the distance and doesn't even fire back.

Salvage corvettes are missing their lock on visual making it difficult to tell from a distance if they are indeed locked on to something. Repair corvettes and support frigates used to be able to repair from a distance, now they might as well be hooked onto the ship they are repairing.

Homeworld 2 campaign scaling being applied to Homeworld 1 means that there were 39 assault frigates in the sea of lost souls. That number used to be 3.

I'm sure there is more, I just haven't been able to play any further because the sea of lost souls won't advance.
Edit:
If you click on hyperspace, it brings up the quick dock window. Click cancel, you can now no longer open the sensors manager.

Add the Kadeshi motherships to the list of idiot AI's. They used to have front facing ion beams and powerful anti fighter guns. They also used to rotate around the mothership while constantly launching fighters and hyperspacing in fuel pods. Now they sit there and do nothing till you destroy two of them and then the third retreats and also does nothing when you go after it.

Supernova station, the radiation when you leave the protective dust is doing almost twice as much damage as it used to. You used to be able to get a resource collector to the left or right deposits with about a quarter to a third health left and then have them repair at a resource controller or carrier. Now they blow up three quarters of the way there.

Supernova station, it's far more difficult to see the protective dust with the new backgrounds.

Captured ships randomly revert to their original or different textures in each mission. One mission they may be painted in your colors and the next they are back to their original but still controllable.

There seems to be issues with objectives on certain maps. Possibly caused by re-loading saved games. Sometimes a cutscene will not play and then everything else gets stuck as a result.

If launching a capital ship through the left side of the mothership while the bentusi arrive the ship will become stuck and unable to move until they depart.

In "Sea of lost souls" after disabling the ghost ship and taking command of the ships surrounding it you receive a new research notification but there is nothing there. (I have done this three times with the same results all three times).

Frigate combat ai like the rest of the ship ai is screwed up. As many have pointed out on the asteroid mission they will basically run right into the asteroid rather than treat it like an enemy ship and keep it at a distance.

When your ships are hyperspacing if you hold alt and hover over them you get a move notification going off in a random direction. I'm not sure if this is intentional or some sort of glitch.

Number of Salvage corvettes needed to salvage fuel pods is down to 1 from 2, doesn't make sense as they are frigate sized vessels. The salvage corvettes also clip into their tops rather than hang off on an angle as they used to.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Having given it a day to let it sink in, I can say that I'm pretty disgusted by this "remaster." They made it pretty and then butchered the game. I might have to replay the original version RIGHT NOW to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
Troy

Post by Troy »

At least you got that badass mothership out of the deal.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak.

January 20th. Looks like Supreme Commander: Homeworld.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Just saw this pop-up on steam. Mothership appears to be replaced with a gigantic aircraft carrier tank thing.

Will probably want.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I will be purchasing if initial reviews aren't terribad. The remastered Homeworld has made me wary.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Ditto.

It hit my Wishlist as soon as I saw it.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

90% score in PC Gamer. I'm getting it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak-review
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Only available on Steam, that I can see. I can't find info on a physical copy.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Will check out in a few weeks when I get the Desktop out of the POD. Sounds like a good multi game...
Troy

Re: Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - Also some Homeworld: Remastered discussi

Post by Troy »

This was half off, so I scooped it up.

Feels like Homeworld in the Desert. Fun so far.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

There still isn't a box edition, and it's still $50 on steam. jesus fuck.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I beat this - it was pretty fun, felt like a regular Homeworld game but with dune buggies and trucks.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote: There still isn't a box edition, and it's still $50 on steam. jesus fuck.
And STILL $50 on Steam.

What the everloving fuck.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

And HA! It's only $38 if you buy it bundled with the Homeworld: Remastered Collection.

They literally have to pay people $12 to take it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

My Steam alert finally worked: the base version is on sale for $12, and the Deluxe edition is on sale for $17. Finally got it.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Had a few minutes to look at the tutorial. I love how they kept the rumble between switching views.