Sins of a Solar Empire - Formerly: "Hey Gordon"

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Did you ever get Sins of a Solar Empire? Is it worth it?

I'm asking because I've been hearing good reviews and now I saw that mod makers are already doing Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar, etc. total conversions.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

It is actually the next game on my list to purchase, assuming the Orange Box never drops in price, which it hasn't.

Been busy with a contract since the beginning of the year, and now summer is coming and my little unwritten rule is, "If it is daylight, there is probably something you should be doing." But I guess now the rule is written.

But it really is the next game I am getting.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It is actually the next game on my list to purchase, assuming the Orange Box never drops in price, which it hasn't.

Take your pick, the Orange Box or the video card. :-)

Been busy with a contract since the beginning of the year, and now summer is coming and my little unwritten rule is, "If it is daylight, there is probably something you should be doing." But I guess now the rule is written.

I wish you lived in Iceland. I'd like to see how long that rule would last there.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just picked up Sins at Target for $40. I'm cringing because it recommends a dual or quad core processor. Installing it now... not sure if it will be important that I have a single core proc, or not.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Was going through the tutorial with graphical settings maxed and was just thinking "this isn't so bad" when the game locked up my PC requiring a hard boot.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I've heard complaints about it not having a single player campaign.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

GORDON wrote:It is actually the next game on my list to purchase, assuming the Orange Box never drops in price, which it hasn't.
What is your target price? Amazon had it for $29.99 the other day. It hits that price about once every two weeks.

I'm still waiting for it to go to $19.99 then I will pick it up. 5 games I have never played for $30 is a good deal but I have enough other stuff to play that I can wait.

I'm also wondering what the package deal will be when HL:Episode 3 comes out.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I doubt the Orange Box will drop to $20 for some time unless a retailer screws up. The individual games all were recently released individually for more than the compilation Orange Box, thus the Orange Box price should've actually risen.

I doubt we'll see another Orange Box. The Orange Box was WAY TOO successful.

We know Half-Life: Ep3 is in the works and that's the closest we might get to another Orange Box.

Actually, I take it back. We might see another Orange Box, but Portal 2 will not be in it. It was a huge hit and will get its own release from now on.

And if you think they'd release HL3 immediately into a box set, you're insane.
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

Leisher wrote:I doubt the Orange Box will drop to $20 for some time unless a retailer screws up. The individual games all were recently released individually for more than the compilation Orange Box, thus the Orange Box price should've actually risen.
I can wait. I just played HL1 and all the expansions for the first time about 6 months ago because it was selling for $2.99.

I've seen the Orange Box go as low as $25 but I had/have too many games to play so I didn't go for it.

If enough other people I knew were playing TF2 it might push me to get it but again only at the $30.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

WSGrundy wrote:
GORDON wrote:It is actually the next game on my list to purchase, assuming the Orange Box never drops in price, which it hasn't.
What is your target price? Amazon had it for $29.99 the other day. It hits that price about once every two weeks.
Ah, I've never noticed that. Still $40 in the stores, too.

$30....... maybe. I should prolly grab it now for $30 before they decide to retire the Orange Box altogether and sell the individual components for $20 each for the next 2 years.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Let me know next time you notice it for $30 on amazon.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Nope, gotta stay with free-shipping-no-sales-tax amazon.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Actually, I just noticed amazon is selling it from a 3rd party, which means shipping costs. Alrighty then.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Why don't you just drive your ass to Gamestop Gordo? There's like a thousand of them here in the city.

You will love yourself for getting Portal. Not to mention HL:Ep2 is just awesome.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Tried playing Sins again tonight,a nd it locked up on me again. It happens when a ship explodes. Next time I fire it up I guess I'll try turning down the graphical detail of the explosions.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Put the graphics settings back down to "Default." I was able to play for about 2 hours before it locked my system.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

GORDON wrote:Actually, I just noticed amazon is selling it from a 3rd party, which means shipping costs. Alrighty then.
Grrr, gotta pay sales tax, too. I guess I should have expected that, since I've seen GameStop stores in Ohio... physical presence in my state.

I'm passing for now. Maybe if I walk past a GameStop soon I'll walk in, I'm just accustomed to everything in mall retail stores priced $10 more than it all should be.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Turned off "Objects Bloom" and was able to play for about 2 hours before my system locked.

This game is NOT Homeworld 3. In fact, it is barely a RTS... it is closer to Civ 3 than Homeworld. Very close to MOO, but with real-time ship movement.

All in all, so far I like it better than any other "conquer the galaxy one planet at a time" game I've ever played.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

A few nights ago no one was in UO and I was bored so I thought I'd fire up Sins again, and see if it would work with no DVD in the drive.... and it did.

I lost track of time and when my game ended it was 4am. Dammit.

This is still a really fun game, won all kinds of "Game of the Year" awards, and I just spent $10 to buy the expansion online. Before you get all "WTF, gordo," it isn't even available as a box. So that's that.

Note: you buy it through a STEAM competitor called IMPULSE, and supposedly it will always remember I own it, as it lists another Stardock game in "My Games" I haven't had loaded in a couple years. Service seems identical to STEAM in most respects. Until Stardock goes out of bidness and then I'll never be able to install the expansion, again.

Oh, also, in rereading this thread, I see I was having all kinds of problems playing on my old system. On my current quad core system, I have zero problems with lockups.

Also, this game has the exact same "Solo Campaign" that the Civilization games have, so not sure if that is a valid criticism.

Edited By GORDON on 1244505682