Borderlands 2: The Pre-Sequel

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Who buys the box anymore

Gordon for display purposes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

It's not me, it's someone else.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Finally feeling well enough to play games, so been playing this one.

Man it can get frustrating. And man it helps to have the right gun equipped.

Today: I got stuck on a 1-inch ledge. I could not run over it. That has happened several times.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Done. < 40 hours including many, but not all of the side missions.

Not as good as BL2. The final battles were just hard enough without being oppressive.

Edited By TheCatt on 1420403408
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Overall, the game was entertaining. Jack, in particular, in entertaining. At least, in the beginning. The final hours or so he loses his humour and just says things.

This game was shorter than I expected. Steam says 39 hours played, but it was more like 30 hours, with several hours where the game was open but I wasn't playing it.

The new moon stuff becomes almost irrelevant in the 2nd half of the game. Yeah, you can boost jump, and you can still find a few places without atmosphere, but air is pretty much everywhere in the 2nd half of the game. It rarely is needed or you run low. I butt-slammed a few people, but as a general tactic, I found myself relying on guns, guns, and more guns.

The guns are basically the same as BL2, with the addition of lasers, which work well, and are pretty powerful if used correctly, or get the right bonuses.

I only used 2 golden keys during the game, at Level 9, as my loot had not kept up with my level/the difficulty of the game.

I actually ran out of money from buying it so much (see laser). Moonstones (eridium in BL2) was never quite plentiful enough. I needed all the ammo expansions that I could get. On a couple of boss battles, I ran out of ammo on 3 gun types.

A general strategy of sniping when I could, then using my special ability (auto-aim + rapid fire, basically) made short work of most enemies, but I also felt pretty fragile. Pretty much at every point of the game, enemies were able to take me from full/near full to empty in about 5 seconds if I wasn't careful.

I died more times trying to jump over lava, or drive over things than I care to admit.

I got stuck in more corners and on tiny ledges (see previous post about 1" ledge) than I think should have happened.

Many of the side missions were pretty short. Several were 2 minutes or so. Some of the main missions were just annoying. On one in particular, you're trying to cross a bridge, but the bridge gets taken out. So then you try to do something else, but that thing doesn't work. Rinse, repeat about 5-6 times. But in between each rinse-repeat was "run across the entire map to do something, then come back" Yawn.

Overall, the game tells you about Jack before BL1 and 2. But it feels like a heavy DLC more than a complete game. $20-25 is the right price for this game.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

$400 for a remote control clappy.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

[url=http://slickdeals.net/f/7630404-pc-digi ... lization-b
eyond-earth-24-sleeping-dogs-definitive-edition-8-more-via-gmg?src=pdw&v=1]$24 at GMG[/url]
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Legendary drop rate adjustments for BL2 and the Presequal

I still don't own the presequal and I feel like I have lots more to do in BL2. Just need to find time to play them.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Stranger wrote:Legendary drop rate adjustments for BL2 and the Presequal

I still don't own the presequal and I feel like I have lots more to do in BL2. Just need to find time to play them.
Amen.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Re: Borderlands 2: The Pre-Sequel

Post by Leisher »

Played through this recently and was really disappointed.

They weaved the story into the main one very effectively, but this was clearly a quickly made game in a rush to take advantage of interest in the series and not a full fledged sequel...or pre-sequel. In fact, the story was really good. I enjoyed the way I was running all these errands for Jack so he could save the moon, but knowing that what I was getting him would be used against my characters in BL2.

I played through as Claptrap, and some dialogue was specific to who I was playing, so I would have been curious to see how other playthroughs with different characters changed things, specifically Wilhelm. Unfortunately, unlike BL or BL2, this game was interesting enough to warrant new playthroughs with different characters. his ultimate was interesting in that it was random. Sometimes he'd throw out a miniturret, sometimes he'd start spamming grenades, sometimes he'd get a Klingon mek'leth and have to melee, sometimes he's turn into a pirate ship and shoot cannon balls to the beat of the William Tell overture...I think...(devastating), etc. He was interesting to play and had some good one liners.

Lack of variety was really the downfall of the game for me. There are only 11 story missions, weapons seemed oddly "the same", monsters weren't all that interesting, and mission types were pretty much all the same. That lack of variety was everywhere. For example: I think I saw 50 Claptraps in the game. While this makes sense to a point, I mean there are other R2 units, it really made him less interesting as a character. He was a fun and quirky robot whose programming was maybe off a bit, but when the universe is full of others like him? Well, let's just say nobody showing up to his party is a lot less believable. All those other Claptraps would surely have come.

Villains were very much the same too. There were those spider-like creatures with a different name and slight physical difference. There were flying creatures exactly like raks, but slightly different. The vast majority of bipedal enemies came in only a few varieties. There were some creatures like those dog things in BL and BL2, but they were slightly different in that the bigger ones turned into smaller ones when killed. Animations were obviously copied from the original baddies in the first two games.

Weapons were mostly "meh". They added a laser rifle, which was nice, but actually aided the baddies more than the player. (To be honest, that was welcome.) I found a good sniper rifle early on and beat 50% of the game with that. Also found an orange pistol that had ice effects, which I used a lot. Never once used a shotgun. Used a rocket launcher maybe once or twice. Never really used an assault rifle, which was my favorite in BL2. And used a laser rifle, mostly due to mission requirements, but more once I found an orange one later in the game.

I should note that by the 60-65% completed part of the game I had three orange weapons, an orange shield, orange class modifier, and orange...not grenade, but the other of the four additional items you equip. Can't think of it.

My biggest complaint about weapons is accuracy. They weren't. A few of them seemed to fire at an incorrect angle like the barrel was bent or something. For example my orange ice pistol required me to aim slightly left of targets and even then the bullets were more of a spray and not a straight line. Seems like they also boosted the wiggle on sniper rifles, which wasn't welcome. And that's not just a BL complaint. If I'm using a sniper rifle, it shouldn't seem like I'm doing so from a life raft in a hurricane. the sway on the sights in some games is ridiculous. it wasn't that bad here, but it was noticeably worse than in previous BL games.

I never found weapons, not even my orange ones, that I loved. I did love that first sniper rifle due to its accuracy, magazine size (22), and damage (each shot increased damage), but by mid game it was no longer an option.

Some of your favorite characters make appearances. Cameos from various BL2 folks make things interesting, but none are massive parts of the story aside from two vault hunters (actually from the first game) and Moxxi.

The best thing I can say about this game is that it's true to the BL brand and I played it all the way through. The worst thing I can say is that once I beat the game I immediately lost interest in it. Something that can't be said for previous versions. Hell, I still have BL2 installed on my system, but BL:TPS has been removed.

I don't think I was alone in my disappointment either. It seems like this game generated a ton of interest when it was announced, and then once it came out...crickets. Remember when BL2's expansions were big news when they were released? Not the case here.

Is it worth playing through once? Yes, but wait for a really good Steam sale. I'd say $10 seems fair for the new paint job they threw on the BL2 engine.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I played as Jack. Didn't Gordon, Malcolm and I play together? I have some vague memory of Malcolm being Claptrap.

The game was OK, but was about half a game. I'm replaying BL2 right now, and my wife and I are up to level 70 UVHM. It's our 3rd play through (regular, TVHM, and UVHM), and we're still having fun and discovering things. I went to the reddit BL2 forums yesterday, and there are still new posts (not a ton, but they are there), and then there was 1 lonely post from a guy playing the pre-sequel, trying to get help cuz no one was in the pre-sequel forums.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Seriously, it was fun, but soul crushing.

It was like sleeping with a 10 that used to be a 5 before plastic surgery, but who didn't maintain the sexual openness and fun of a 5, and instead had the sexual personality of a 10 that was a 10 her whole life.

I forgot to mention the jumping. You're on a moon, so low gravity is a thing, and it's the single best part of the game. It added so much to it. From reaching new types of hidden places to sniping people while "flying", it's a great feature.

I played a night of Rust post-BL:TPS and was thrown for a loop initially because my character's jumps weren't as high as I was used to the previous few days.
Leisher
Site Admin

Borderlands 2: The Pre-Sequel

Post by Leisher »