MMOs

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

As far as MW:O, I would argue that dumping cash in the game to buy consumables does give you an advantage.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote: We were just better than them. Right Troy? ;-)

Almost all of them.

hahaha.

Also, I get the worry and critcisms, but it also looks like a game I need to try this year. As far as open PVP, I saw this on another forum:

You won't be PvP fodder the first day. The newbie areas are more or less protected and the game really ramps you up into the PvP zones slowly. I found the process to move to them quite natural and I was pretty prepped although nervous the first time I went deeper.

I like that.

Also think the "gear=class and skills" is a lot like EVE, come to think of it. Fantasy EVE online with a UO perspective and scale. That's pie in the sky, but it could be excellent. They could also fuck it up, so, so bad. I'll post some Alpha reactions when I see them next week.

Edited By Troy on 1422048153
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

How is a F2P where the devs sell gold any different from a subscription based game where the Chinese sell gold

Huge difference. How can you not see that?

One is available to all players. The other is only available to the pathetic losers who even know about them and seek them out.

One is the developers themselves destroying their own economy in a mad dash for cash. The other actually has someone spending the time to earn the gold.

And let's be honest, we could list the differences for days.

Every MMO, from now on, will have a pay to win option either by the Devs or by the Chinese.

Then I'm all done with MMOs. That was easy!

I would point out that TKV in UO was always out numbered, and in the early days, very poor. However, we still won. Eventually, we were more wealthy than our opponents. But I don't think them buying a bunch of gold would have helped them. We were just better than them.

That worked in UO, but that's like saying you should be great at FPSs because you hunt in real life.

UO gad no P@W option, so you don't know how that would have affected things.

In AA, we had people playing CONSTANTLY, and I didn't see us dominating shit.

I'll also point out that much of the bitching about pay to win was more along the lines of:

I play for 10 hours mining resources and gathering materials, crafting items, etc to get the BF sword. Joe rich guy can swipe a card and in 5 minutes have the same sword. That's not fair. He should have to spend 10 hours in the game getting the sword too.

And I think that's a stupid complaint.

Is it as stupid as complaining about developers giving you free mechs?

And your example isn't stupid because it kills games.

As far as MW:O, I would argue that dumping cash in the game to buy consumables does give you an advantage.

I would disagree completely.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

It's not hard to find the Chinese selling the gold. You don't have to look for them, they find you. You spent enough time in AA to know that.
We don't know for sure that the economy is being destroyed. We only know that some players will have more gold than other players. But as soon as they buy something from other players, then other players have more gold. Plus, there's gold which is bought with cash, and silver which is the in game currency. I don't know how they interact with each other. Don't know what impact the gold will have on the economy. I don't even know how gold is spent in the game. This is the circular argument going on on their forums. No one knows anything yet. It's all speculation. People who have actually played the game say that it's not pay to win. But no one believes them. So, who knows.

All done with MMOs? That's too bad. They are fun.

UO DID have pay to win options. Did you never look at EBay? I participated in that market in a big way. Hell, I'd argue that I paid to win the real estate part of the game. Richard Garriot once bragged about how UO gold was worth more than the Italian dollar (whatever it's called). To know that implies there was a RL market for in game goods. And the devs even knew about it and were proud of it.

I'm pissed that I spent the time getting it the way I did. I would have much rather spread the playing out over two weekends. Had I known that was an option, I would have. But I was lead to believe that I had to do it all in one. Finding out that I tortured myself needlessly has me a little upset. I REALLY wish I had known that I didn't have to work so hard last weekend. Would have been awesome to know that ahead of time. I'm not bitching because they gave me a free mech. I'm bitching because knowing I could have done it over two weekends instead of one would have been nice.

Not sure which example of mine kills games.

So a guy dumping 15 airstrikes per game that he buys with cash isn't an advantage?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Hell, I'd argue that I paid to win the real estate part of the game.

Real estate in that game was premium because the UO world was the size of goddamn Disneyland and you couldn't hack down a tree or dig out a rock that was in the way of your house footprint. You could always get vanq/invuln whatever or buy a twinked account or gold. Granted, you were going through third parties to do so, but as long as in-game item transfer exists, that option will always be on the table.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It's not hard to find the Chinese selling the gold. You don't have to look for them, they find you. You spent enough time in AA to know that.

That's on Trion. They did basically nothing to stop the gold spammers.

We don't know for sure that the economy is being destroyed.

There is no such thing as a working game economy where the vast majority of the population works for everything, while a small percentage pays for everything. The people paying for everything always break the economy. We saw that in AA.

People who have actually played the game say that it's not pay to win. But no one believes them.

A lot of folks said AA wasn't P2W...

All done with MMOs? That's too bad. They are fun.

They can be, but the current trend isn't about fun. It's about maximizing profit quickly before a game dies. That's not fun.

You complain about MW:O destroying a sense of achievement you got out of a single weekend. Imagine how I felt watching Trion let people buy their way above me instantly or cheat without repercussion negating my two months of hard work.

Fun!

UO DID have pay to win options. Did you never look at EBay?

No, that's not UO having the option and yes, there's a difference.

Plus, that's not for me. I'm all for selling your hard work, but buying it for a game? I can't wrap my head around that logic.

It's like the GTA V promotion Steam currently has where you get $1,000,000 in game when you start. Unless you are crazy busy in real life, what's the point? If you have a million dollars, why are you getting involved in some criminal empire? Just retire!

What are you working hard for at that point? Buying progress in a game is the dumbest trend in gaming history. Soon people will just install games and download a save point right before the end.

What fun!

I'm pissed that I spent the time getting it the way I did. I would have much rather spread the playing out over two weekends. Had I known that was an option, I would have. But I was lead to believe that I had to do it all in one. Finding out that I tortured myself needlessly has me a little upset. I REALLY wish I had known that I didn't have to work so hard last weekend. Would have been awesome to know that ahead of time. I'm not bitching because they gave me a free mech. I'm bitching because knowing I could have done it over two weekends instead of one would have been nice.

You have a right to be upset about it as I told Gordon. However, as I pointed out there, this was a last minute decision on their part. They didn't know they were doing this as nothing was originally scheduled.

Not sure which example of mine kills games.

The only example you gave... Also, it's been covered in the economy stuff.

So a guy dumping 15 airstrikes per game that he buys with cash isn't an advantage?

No because you can't do that.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Soon people will just install games and download a save point right before the end.

Fuck that. Buying and installing things. Watch it on Twitch.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

You complain about MW:O destroying a sense of achievement you got out of a single weekend.

No. I didn't.

I bought EVE money from Catt once. I still had many many many hours of fun in that game. I just didn't have to spend my game time making money. I was able to just buy the ship and go fight. Not sure how that is ruining the experience for me. If I don't enjoy one aspect of a game, but love another, why not do what I can to minimize the first and maximize the second? Just because YOU like to do every mundane thing in a game to 'complete' it doesn't mean I have to. I don't have to do everything YOU like to do in order to enjoy a game. I'll pay you $5 to do what I consider mundane bullshit in a game so that I don't have to.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote:
You complain about MW:O destroying a sense of achievement you got out of a single weekend.

No. I didn't.

I bought EVE money from Catt once. I still had many many many hours of fun in that game. I just didn't have to spend my game time making money. I was able to just buy the ship and go fight. Not sure how that is ruining the experience for me. If I don't enjoy one aspect of a game, but love another, why not do what I can to minimize the first and maximize the second? Just because YOU like to do every mundane thing in a game to 'complete' it doesn't mean I have to. I don't have to do everything YOU like to do in order to enjoy a game. I'll pay you $5 to do what I consider mundane bullshit in a game so that I don't have to.
That sentence is what you're going to pick out of my response to try and hang your hat on as if it wins you the argument?

Well crafted.

The problem is you're contradicting yourself in both threads.

So are you for mundane work or do you want your P2W shortcuts? I'm losing track.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:It's like the GTA V promotion Steam currently has where you get $1,000,000 in game when you start. Unless you are crazy busy in real life, what's the point? If you have a million dollars, why are you getting involved in some criminal empire? Just retire!

This is great. lol'd

e: not sure what ya'll are arguing about otherwise, i'm sure it'll sort itself out

Edited By Troy on 1422059264
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Cakedaddy wrote:As far as pay to win: This may not bother me as much as I thought it might... There are those with no cash but lots of time and those with no time and lots of cash. They should be able to work something out. And this game lets them. The game does not sell them uber items, only the means to purchase them from other players. Even if the game didn't support it, there would always be the Chinese gold farmers making it possible.
It certainly doesn't bother me. As long as it's not excessive. I have a shit-ton more money than I have time.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

On how to grow a mount for riding (which I think you can kill and loot)
"You have to level up your farming first, on your farmlands plant carrots. After they completely grow, 1-3 hours ( not sure what time period is ), you can harvest them. Once you gain 80 fame doing this, you will unlock baby chickens. Now place a pasture, drop some baby chickens here. Continue to plant carrots. Feed your chickens the carrots you harvested. Chicken has to be fully fed to grow to maturity. Continue this cycle until you have 450 fame. Now you should unlock corn, baby goats, baby horses T3 and baby oxen T3. Place the animals in the pasture and feed them. 24 hours later you will have a mature animal, that you can take to the saddler, with 30 T3 leather ( horse ), 30 T3 wood ( ox ). Now craft the mount. Following this procedure you should have a mount in 2-3 days. "

Edited By Troy on 1422503858
Troy

Post by Troy »

Instanced Islands vs Plots in NPC Cities vs Plots out in the Open Game World (the game has three)
There's a few difference between territories. Islands don't cost upkeep besides feeding and repairing your structures and you can build up to tier 5. City plots you need to pay an upkeep to the city of silver or gold and other players can pay you to use your buildings. Guild plots need to be fed and can be attacked through a GvG siege system. There are a few different guild plots like farming, mining, and general guild. Those were all added in this alpha so they're being balanced and none of this is representative of the final product.

But for this alpha, if you want to raise baby chickens and do some farming just buy an island and set up farm plots in it. Cheap, easy and quick to get started.

Edited By Troy on 1422574799
Troy

Post by Troy »

We had a group of 13 or so on at 10pm EST going to run dungeons to raise silver for players and the guild. We went to a spot we usually like to hit up not far from us, but also not far from allies. When you enter a cluster it tells you how many people are in it, so you know when you're not alone. We grouped up and sent out messages to make sure we didn't run up behind an allied dungeon group. After a few minutes we started running through because no one replied. When we were finally right before the end of the dungeon we saw purple allied names slowly working down mobs. Their excuse was "oh yeah we disable chat while in combat so we don't get distracted"... A bunch of our guys lost their cool, as you can expect would happen after anticipating a big fight and the possibility of good loot. So we decided to steal their last hits on bosses and mobs so we get all the fame (experience) and they get none, ninja loot all of the corpses and quick pull without stopping to heal. This got one of their officers killed, and to be honest I don't know if we did or didn't loot her body. Doesn't matter, we kept pushing through while their guys kept yelling "Oi!" at us in local and alliance chat.

We ran straight through the boss's room, who can 2 shot people, and apparently got another few of them killed by doing that. Once we got out the rest is as described. They strategically hid behind trees even though their names were glaringly obvious to see.

At one point they were trying to demand satisfaction through a 1v1 duel. Probably as close to shooting blues as you can get in Albion without dropping guild.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Twitch stream of a 5v5 fight. Looks promising for an early alpha.

e: dude's mike is real loud

Edited By Troy on 1423065071
Stranger

MMOs

Post by Stranger »

Troy wrote: Albion Online winter alpha this month.
Preview video looks good

Looks very, very UO. Dunno much about the mechanics besides it's full loot and public economy.

https://albiononline.com/

Edited By Troy on 1421977405

This game went F2P this weekend, decided to give it a shot because its been on my wishlist for sometime now. I only played it on Saturday for a few hours so i only just scratched the surface, and there was about a 30-40 minute que time.

So far my favorite thing about it is the combat. I've long wanted to have an MMO that played like League of Legends so those of you who have played that it will come very familiar. You only have 4 attack moves, Q,W,E and R and depending on your gear you will get different abilities on your D and F, so its very much like LOL in that matter, some moves are skill shots while others are point and click.

The whole you are what you wear is different, you can use a heavy armor with a wizard staff but your damage will be lower than if you wore cloth armor, leather gives you a mix between the two. You can mix and match say leather boots, heavy armor and a mage cap with a bow if ya like and thats all the pieces there are boots, armor and helmet so it keeps it pretty simple.

Other than that i can't tell you much more about it as i only got a little past the training portion of the game and did some resource collecting and killing small camps. I know it is subscription based and i'm sure if you ever wanted to get serious you would need to pay the $10 a month.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

MMOs

Post by Leisher »

I tried watching that video, but it starts off with that racist line: "In a world where everybody matters"...

Ok, in all seriousness, I'm mildly interested in this game. I'll DL it tonight and maybe take it for a spin, but the next four weeks are going to be nuts for me. Not sure how much I'll get to play it.
Stranger

MMOs

Post by Stranger »

Just be prepared for a que time, Saturday night i was about 1500th in que and took 30-40 mins. Of course premium players go to the front of the line.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

MMOs

Post by Leisher »

FYI, Albion Online is on Steam.

Lots of peeps in Steam reviews pissed about "pay to enter the game".
Stranger

MMOs

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: FYI, Albion Online is on Steam.

Lots of peeps in Steam reviews pissed about "pay to enter the game".
Yeah, that's where i DL'd it from. I played a little more last night and i'm liking it so far.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!