Star Wars Battlefront 2....

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Is under $20 now. Anyone interested in getting another DTMan server going?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wa....eogames
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
WSGrundy

Post by WSGrundy »

I would play. It dropped in price when they announced number III.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The price has dropped to $19.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Just ordered mine for $19.

If you yahoos want something to multi, it's the next thing I'll be playing, prolly. And I've got a fast server.

On weekends.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Has arrived...
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

As of this moment a dedicated server exists, but until someone else can join the game from outside my house I can't tests the ports and shit.

Server name: Dtman.com - SW:BF2
password: sand

You DON'T have to find a tgame through Gamespy. Hit the "Join" button at the top, instead (I think it was 'join.')

Gimme feedback. When I listed all available games I saw it in the list and joined from there... but I am behind the firewall. So we'll see.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Ok, have played the single-player campaign and explored some of the extras on the game.

1. I have the DVD version, and about half the time it fails the "cd validation check" at game launch. I get a "You can't use a copy to play, insert the original disk." Sons of bitches, calling me a pirate... I just launch again, and usually the game launches properly.

2. Single player campaign: You play as a member of the 501st Regiment of clone troopers, "Vader's Fist." The campaign takes you through about 20 years from Episode 1 through the battle of Hoth in Ep6. Each mission gives you 4-6 tasks... "Capture the tower and take out the machine gun nests...." then "Now that the machine guns are taken out, go get the stolen plans for the death star..." then "Now that you have the plans, get them to the shuttle so we can get them off-world..." then "Now mop up all remaining resistance." That sort of thing. Each step is rife with obstacles, of course.

Now, what I hated was... you can't save in the middle of these missions. If you lose the battle after step 4, you have to start all over again at step one. Frustrating. A few missions took me 3 or 4 days to finally beat, and all in all they take 20-30 minutes, tops. Granted I'm only playing an hour or two in the evenings, but still.

There are also some space battles, which are "ok." Same type of '3-6 tasks per space battle...' "Take out the engines, take out the support frigates," etc. Same no-save rule. It's a little more complex than Battlefront 1, but flying the ships is nowhere near as cool as in X-Wing v. Tie Fighter. A mouse will do you just fine, unlike XvT.

All in all this campaign is a nice "fill in the blanks" in the mentality of the clone troopers. It plays like a diary or personal journal. My dude felt genuine regret when they had to take out Obi Wan when given Order 66.... but hey, orders are orders.

3. Galactic Conquest Mode: This is a sub-game. You get a galactic map, and both sides hold certain planets. You bop your fleet around taking enemy planets, while your opponent does the same. If you encounter the enemy fleet, it's a space battle. If your fleet hits an enemy planet with no fleet, it's a ground battle. You get points after each turn depending on how many plants you hold, and other factors. You use the points to access new units (you start with just a generic trooper), new fleets to move around, and battlefield bonuses... which provide the real wild card in the game. If you choose the garrison bonus (my fave), you get an injection of 30 or 50 more troops if you start running low. Bacta tank bonus, your troops slowly regenerate health if damaged. Blaster upgrade bonus. Armor bonus. Leader bonus. Etc etc etc. The enemy also gets to choose bonuses, provided they have the points accumulated... personally, I think the AI cheats, here. They churned out a lot of expensive fleets even when losing badly... This mode would be interesting if it could be mulitied, but I'm not sure if it can be. Also, not sure if more than 2 peeps could play even if it worked.

Anyway, I got my $19 out of entertainment out of it.

Time to load Oblivion, I reckon.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I like the rewards you can earn. Do something special in one life and you earn some sort of award. The 4th (or whatever) time you get that award you pick up a bonus which lasts as long as you live (extra damage, healing, better weapons, etc.)

Earn that bonus enough times and it becomes permanent (and at certain points the requirements to earn that award get easier). Once I learned that I started playing the Jabba's palace level over and over again, rushing down the stairs to kill the swarm that comes through the doorway. I'd do that over and over again until I had all the head shots, or kills, or whatever I needed.

Now I pretty much have everything except the sniper and cutting into vehicles bonuses permanently tied to my character.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Looks like everyone has received it through Steam. For free maybe we can give it an evening. I remember it being ok to fun.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Thanks Gordo! I think I've played this on the Xbox before, I believe the boys have it. Its a FPS where you choose who you want to play with and you can even play with Yoda and Vader at times? amiright?
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Stranger wrote:Its a FPS where you choose who you want to play with and you can even play with Yoda and Vader at times? amiright?
Die, you bitches must.
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Turns out all online support for this online game was killed in early 2014, so I don't even know what the fuck business Steam has still selling it. That's like $38 a piece I wasted on you people.

Scooty managed to find a 3rd party app that allowed a server to be set up, though, and I found a way to disable the video advertisements this app wanted to serve, so all is not lost. It still kind of sucks, though, that when you turn the resolution up the game text gets so small that it is almost unreadable.

We'd better play one more time to make my $38/a piece purchase sorta worth it, but I don't see this game having legs for a long run. Scooty can link the app to install for the server, I can't remember the name of it at the moment.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I have to ask, where are you coming up with $38/piece?

Also, yes you got fucked.

A recent game in my recommended list made me question Steam's policies in a similar manner. Reviews were terrible. Many said it was unplayable, yada yada yada. I wondered if there's a point where Steam should be pulling games?

Although, they have pulled games in the past due to being unplayable or lying about features. Two examples are: DayZ and ArcheAge.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

$38/a piece

hmm.. it was just on sale for $3 a few days ago... :p

Edited By Stranger on 1418669408
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Yeah, it was at least $38 per copy I bought, so I spent that $45 on each of you. You owe me at least that $49 in a return gift. What a waste of $54. Each.

Edited By GORDON on 1418679691
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote:A recent game in my recommended list made me question Steam's policies in a similar manner. Reviews were terrible. Many said it was unplayable, yada yada yada. I wondered if there's a point where Steam should be pulling games?
To be fair, I didn't read the full description of the game... why would I? There is a sentence in the middle of the thing that says online support has been pulled, so they didn't technically lie. But still.

It's a good thing I only spent $60 per copy.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I was planning on getting you a wreath and a hearty handshake for Christmas.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

A laurel?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Dammit. A laurel.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Don't feel bad, I watched that movie 25 times over 10 years, and one day, suddenly, I got that joke. I was sitting at my desk at Gateway 2000 and it just occurred to me.