The Long Dark

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

I don't agree with the "we're more than a tech demo" quote. It sounds like it's exactly what they are right now.

But it sounds up my alley. Hopefully it will turn out to be good.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

It just showed up on Steam.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm disappointed with it.

Not that it's horrible. It has potential, but it's more randomized puzzle than survival game.

Your survival depends on you traveling around the area searching abandoned buildings for supplies, hunting, etc. All the supplies are finite and the non-consumable stuff wears down...FAST.

Call me crazy, but if I have a ski jacket at 100%, it shouldn't wear down to 0% in a matter of hours just because it's cold out. That shit is stupid. Same reason why I stopped playing the Dead Rising series. A crowbar that breaks after hitting 8 zombies or some other bullshit like that. Yeah, because metal becomes brittle after hitting rotting flesh a handful of times.

It's a bullshit mechanic and it's the opposite of fun.

Apparently, there's a bunch of people who basically try to survive as long as possible, but everyone dies eventually. So I guess this is Rust meets an endless runner like Temple Run.

If you like to pretend you're playing a survival game, but actually you're playing a randomized endless runner with puzzle elements, you'll love this game.

Personally, I think State of Decay did the survival thing MUCH better.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Long Dark

Post by Leisher »

Well, it's finally going to leave early access with a story mode.

I'll have to give it another look at that point. I didn't need another puzzle game disguised as a survival simulation.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Long Dark

Post by Leisher »

Played a bit of this late last night when I didn't want anything I couldn't pause.

Holy shit is the story mode difficult. Definitely worth attention now though.
Leisher
Site Admin

The Long Dark

Post by Leisher »