Metro 2033

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Post by Troy »

Picked this up from the steam sale, should still be available at 10 (instead of 40) bucks until 1:00PM Tuesday.

I've played an hour of it, but it is exactly what I was hoping. The atmosphere, weapons, monsters, are all top notch. I'll need to delve further, but it is everything I would hope in a "Survival Horror Game."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Finished this up, and it was great. It really makes Fallout seems more cheesy than it already is.

It is certainly worth a purchase if you can find it on sale through Steam during the Holiday sale.

If you do, be sure to run it on the easier "Ranger" difficulty. There are 5 different difficulty, a Easy/Normal/Hard and then a Ranger Easy/Hard. Ranger mode basically takes away half the hitpoints of everyone, including you, and to compensate, makes ammo very rare, which gives the game that true "Survival" feel, which is so necessary with the setting. The world is super dangerous, full of traps and almost everything can kill you or just scare the shit out of you. On top of that, there are a bunch of scripted cinematic "events" that make you think that you have fucked up badly, and you will be wondering when you saved last, only to realize it's part of the storyline.

Stealth is one of a few flaws the game has, and is pretty much useless. There are 2-3 stealth areas where you have a choice between run and gun and stealth, and keeping in stealth mode is so hard that it is actually easier to just shoot your way through and hope for the best. I found it best to just mix the two and then shoot it out when I got myself into a good position.

I won't go too far into the story, but the big thing the game does is flip our traditional thoughts as far as Dark Tunnels = Bad, and Open Air Outside = Good. You have to wear a Gas Mask when you are outside, it is bitterly cold, and you have a limited amount of filters for your mask, which you can buy instead of more ammo (which you never have enough of). In combat on the surface, your gas mask randomly fogs up when you get near anything warm, it will shatter and screw up your vision if you get hit in the head a few times, and the monsters on the surface are probably worse than in the deep tunnels.

For my $10 off steam this is easily a 8.5/10.

Edited By Troy on 1292351535
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm really enjoying this game so far.

I love the storyline and atmosphere so much that I'm picking up the book. Apparently, they're talking film too.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Just finished it. Amazing game.

This is an FPS set in a post apocalyptic Russia. Specifically, in the subway systems. I cannot say enough about the atmosphere in this game. Everything is exactly as you would expect. Pockets of good people trying to live. Pockets of bad guys living by killing others. Political ideologies living on in the crumbling embers of society. The technology is another great example. Rail cars are run by hand or steam engine. You can tell that everything was researched very well.

Only underground are human beings safe without protection from radiation or the toxic atmosphere above ground. You will travel up there, but doing so requires the use of a gas mask. Better stock up on filters.

The guns are all pieced together, and another example of how the humans have made the best of what's available.

Military grade ammo is your currency and can be used to buy new weapons and ammo. Or you could simply use it as it has more stopping power than the regular ammo. This becomes as easier choice later in the game as stores become scarce.

I haven't seen this type of story telling since the Half-Life series, which makes sense as the developers claim it was a huge inspiration.

It does get a little odd towards the end as the main bad guys are...well, let's just say fighting them with weapons wouldn't seem correct.

In fact, the mutants that populate the world are the least fun part of the game, but still fun. There's one, in particular, whose behavior is really different from anything else you've seen in a game.

Lots of story left to tell too as your character is really never explained. Neither are the fates of some key characters. I saw something about a sequel to the novel and apparently Hollywood is talking to the author about a film. Thus, I expect another video game picking up the story.

For FPS fans, and fans of the survival horror genre, this is a must play.

P.S. Currently the book is only available is Russian, and as a German audio book. However, due to the game it has been reported that it will be translated to English. UPDATE: The book is due out in the U.S. on April 1st.

P.S.S. A sequel to this game, Metro 2034, is already being made.

Edited By Leisher on 1297442129
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

$11 on Amazon right now (8/23/2011).

Highly recommended for any FPS player.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Now it's $5 on Steam.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Now I see why Troy and Leisher have been giving the game such rave reviews!

Trooper

Post by Trooper »

I'll take partial credit for this, seeing as I'm the particular individual who told him to screenie this ;D. This is something you find in a Google search, this is Meme worthy..... Cake holds all rights to this .JPEG, and its trademarked so don't even try =p
Troy

Post by Troy »

Fuck, THQ is down for the count and IP's to be auctioned.

Not sure what this does for the next Metro :(

How about some content:

From twitter, auction prices of the IPs:

Hunter ‏@DDInvesting
THQ auction results: 26M for Relic (Sega), 2.5M for Montreal (Ubisoft), 11M for Evolve (Take-Two), 22.3M for Volition (Koch Media)...

Hunter ‏@DDInvesting
500k Homeland (Crytek), 5.8M for Metro (Koch Media), South Park for 3.2M (Ubisoft)

Edited By Troy on 1358974720
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Koch Media is behind Dead Island...

That's not a bad sign. Dead Island is a really solid game.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:Koch Media is behind Dead Island...

That's not a bad sign. Dead Island is a really solid game.
That game always makes me realize how lonely you would get in the Zombie Apocalypse.

Also that Cars > Zombies.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

On behalf of the entire Metro team here at THQ, we would like to say thank you and goodbye to all of the fans. As you may have heard, THQ as a publisher will cease operations today. Metro: Last Light has been purchased at auction by Koch Media/Deep Silver. It's a sad day for us but please know a few things: You guys are amazing and your support and kind words have been inspiring to all of us. The game is great and it WILL be released. 4A Games will of course continue to be the developer.

This Facebook page will continue to be the main source of information about Metro in the short term. Watch this space for updates from the new publisher but in the meantime thanks again for everything and look for us in the safety of the Metro. — at THQ.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Free copy.

HIGHLY recommend it.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Why didn't I finish 2034, can't remember. Should redownload that game and finish it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Metro Redux is $16.99 this weekend on Steam.

That's both games redone for better graphics and performance at a ridiculously low price.

Fuck you if you skip these.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leisher wrote:Metro Redux is $16.99 this weekend on Steam.

That's both games redone for better graphics and performance at a ridiculously low price.

Fuck you if you skip these.
Got both reduxes for $25.
Diogenes of Sinope: "It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours."
Arnold Judas Rimmer, BSC, SSC: "Better dead than smeg."
Leisher
Site Admin

Metro 2033

Post by Leisher »

GORDON
Site Admin

Metro 2033

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Free to keep forever on Steam until 1 p.m. EST today.

Highly, highly recommended.
Baskets ball link.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
GORDON
Site Admin

Metro 2033

Post by GORDON »

Ha, and I already own it, for some reason.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."