Layers of Fear

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Layers of Fear

Post by Leisher »

FPS horror.

Lots of walking around, searching cabinets (Sorry developers, but walking around rooms opening every drawer and cabinet door isn't riveting gameplay), jump scares, no fighting, and a story that isn't really told.

ZERO instructions, inventory, notes, and so on. This is kind of a big deal later on...

There are some creepy visuals, but overall I was pretty much just rushing through to get it over with. The story just didn't grip me, particularly when I discovered too late that I had missed some pieces of it by missing a cabinet or something. This is more frustrating because a simple turn can take you into a new area and it's impossible to return to the previous area. There's also a puzzle late where you're expected to know to punch in some numbers, which is easy enough to figure out, but then you need some other numbers before it works. Which numbers? Well, ones from a random puzzle earlier in the game that has absolutely no link to this part of the game, duh!?

And who are the assholes behind the "drag the slider until the image is barely visible"? That means different things to different people. I don't know if it was what they were going for, but this game was dark. Sure, in tone, but visually. I couldn't see shit a lot of time. I'm sure your artists are thrilled to know their work couldn't be seen.

Also, some instruction is helpful from time to time. Am I supposed to run from the monster thing? It doesn't kill you, so maybe not? But am I missing rooms by just encountering it?

I suppose trial and error would answer some of these questions, but this isn't that type of game.

Very imaginative and creepy, but ultimately meh, imho.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”