Animal Crossing: New horizons

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

For the Nintendo Switch. Quarantine will forever be remembered as the time we played too much of this game as a family.

You are brought to a deserted island as an indentured servant under the thumb of capitalist overload Tom Nook. Resources are scare, there's is little infrastructure, and you are $50,000 in debt just to get started. There's an airport, but it's Hotel California: You can never leave. Your companions are animals. You cannot eat them. Everyone appears to be vegan. You live in a tent. There's electricity, but no wires or plant. It's like the island from Lost. The goal appears to be to turn your island into a mix of Holland (flowers everywhere) and an episode of Hoarders (DECORATE EVERYTHING).

Anyways, it's fun. There's about 400+ characters you can have live on your island, but it's random as to who shows up + moves in. There's a subeconomy on reddit + ebay, etc for these villagers. People are paying $5 to $16.50 for this character.

My kids want certain villagers. There are amiibos you can get of certain villagers (but not from the current game, but like ~400 from the other games in the series). These are sold out on Amazon, and inflated elsewhere. Turns out most Android phones can program NFC chips, built-in (Also turns out that installing APKs on a phone where you have all the google advanced protection schemes is impossible, no matter what you do). But I downloaded the ROMs from the internet, bought some chips on Amazon for $1/per. Used a phone from 3 years ago, and it worked great. Happy kids.

Part of me wonders if I should have let them figure it out themselves, but I don't think they're quite ready for "download software from the internet and avoid malware"
It's not me, it's someone else.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

/relationships has been full of couples crashing and burning over the combination of this game, and the quarantine.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: /relationships has been full of couples crashing and burning over the combination of this game, and the quarantine.
lolololol, seriously?

I've only been going to /r/animalcrossing which is more like ^^^
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

AITA for deleting my gf's Animal Crossing island?
quote:
We have one copy of Animal Crossing, and one switch. Both belong to me, I paid for them, but I've always said that we share them. We can't afford to spend any money on another game or gaming system.

I have been working from home, and my gf has been running an etsy shop from home as well that's been surpringly lucrative (she sells little paintings of video game characters). We're getting by pretty fine in the pandemic, but we're stuck at home with not much to do.

I had pre-ordered animal crossing forever ago. my gf begged me to get it, but i was gonna get it anyway cause I loved acnl. When it showed up, I didn't have time to play it. I was under a lot of stress and making up the work of 3 people. My gf asked if she could play, and I said sure but I might want to make my own game if I dont like the villagers/island layout she picked.

she said fine and blah blah

fastforward now. work calmed down, I have a lot more free time. I decided I wanted to play animal crossing now, so without thinking I started a new game.

The next day, when she picked up the switch and saw her island was gone, she got upset. She told me I ruined all her work and she had spent the last 3 nights hunting for the stupid popular cat, Raymond (who I hate).

I told her that I had warned her when she started that I might end up resetting. She said I was taking too long and that was several weeks ago, and there was no reason I couldn't just share the island she had already started, she said she made a space just for me to put my house by a big lighthouse, because she knows I love lighthouses and even collect them. She got angry and upset and locked herself in our room.

Later, I decided to go try to talk to her again, maybe see if we could make a compromise.

I enter our room and she's got a framed picture in her lap -- one that I had hung on the wall by our bed. She's painting on it. I go see and she's in the process of painting that fucking animal crossing cat on my lighthouse picture! I yell at her to stop and she starts going on about how I have to control how everything looks, and it isn't fair I get to have lighthouse pictures in our room if she can't even control anything about the animal crossing island we share. Yeah, I have 6 lighthouses in our bedroom, but I was living here first, and she's only been living with me for a year. and animal crossing is my game. I told her she shouldn't have been upset that I wanted to control what happens in my game.

Now I'm pissed because she potentially ruined one of my paintings, and she's pissed because she lost her island (and I dont want Raymond on our island).

AITA???
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

That was just one I read an hour ago. They're all over. I didn't even know AC was a new game until about 2 weeks ago, watching relationships implode.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

I wonder if that's real. But, either way, he's the asshole. Actually, Nintendo's the asshole, because each Switch is its OWN island. And whoever plays first, is the primary player of the island. And is the only one who can do certain things.

We bought a 2nd Switch.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Nintendo sounds like genius marketers, and their consumers are stupid. :-D
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: Nintendo sounds like genius marketers, and their consumers are stupid. :-D
Well, it sure drove demand WAY PAST the # of units they had in stock.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

TheCatt wrote: But, either way, he's the asshole.
Yep.
TheCatt wrote: Well, it sure drove demand WAY PAST the # of units they had in stock.
Yep.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: /relationships has been full of couples crashing and burning over the combination of this game, and the quarantine.
Today I got mad at my wife over the game. I took a break from work to do some fishing in game, and caught a super rare fish I had been looking for for weeks. (Not actively working on it for weeks, but few minutes here and there)

Then my wife did something that made my game crash, after i EXPLICITLY told her how to make it not crash, etc, causing me to lose the fish.

I was mad.

She spent two hours finding the fish. So I have my fake digital fish again. Also, it's the 69th unique fish I've found, so I got that going for me.