SOMA

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

SOMA

Post by Leisher »

FPS Psychological Thriller with some Horror

The single most important thing in a game like this is the story, and this one is awesome. I went into the game not really knowing anything about it, so when the first big moment happens it caught me completely off guard. Hell, starting the game caught me off guard. I didn't even know what genre this game existed within.

If you let yourself get immersed the game gets heavy. There are some really interesting questions about existence, life, and morality. Don't expect answers though. The developers tell the story, but they get out of the way so you can make your own conclusions. There are some really big themes at play.

Aside from some nagging questions about the science, the story is pretty tight and well told. Most of the story's progress comes from your normal progression through the linear levels. You will be guided to certain things that will reveal what's going on and sometimes it's very subtle, while other times it hits you like a wrench.

The game itself is non-combat. You're walking and running around and there's not really any fighting. Your main skill in dealing with enemies is learning how to avoid them.

The reviews on Steam, both historic and present, rate it at Overwhelmingly Positive. I have to agree.

I will say this though: Don't start it until you're ready to immerse yourself in the story. Don't play it an hour one night and then come back to it a week later. You don't have to finish it in one night, but keep it all fresh so the moments the developers want to hit you with can actually land.

Recommended
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”