Batman: Arkham Knight

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

The next entry in the Batman franchise.

I was reading today that Kojma believes young people are losing interest in AAA titles. People on the Twitters immediately disagreed saying it has nothing to do with how big a title is, but the quality. One of the main complaints of folks there was the trend of a new entry in a franchise every year.

I agree, and the Batman franchise has reached that point.

Here's a pro tip to developers: If you are releasing a new game in your popular franchise, and the previous game's price is only now dropping because of this new game, then it's too soon for a sequel.

Sports games don't even need to be annual. They just need a patch to correct rosters.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Batman: Arkham Knight

Post by Leisher »

Finally got around to playing this one. I'll say this, I'm wrong about the point above. If the story is great, repeating the same game play is fine.

This time Gotham becomes a war zone held hostage by a fear bomb masterminded by Scarecrow. Batman is there to save the day, of course, but this entry changes the franchise's story dramatically by the end. Not everyone is making it out alive, just like the previous entry...

And if you're worried that a certain someone won't be there, and thus, the entry will be less fun, you need not worry. It's actually quite brilliant how that person is included, BUT the one thing they setup and you wait for doesn't happen, and that sort of sucks. Still, the next entry will be very interesting. I have a theory on how they'll handle it, but I won't get into it to avoid spoilers.

All the game play is the same as previous entries, but this time the Batmobile plays a much larger role.

Anyway, the Scarecrow has a new cohort named the Arkham Knight. If you know Batman lore, you'll figure him out before he gets revealed in act three. If you don't they will let you know who he is and why he is the way he is.

If you're interested in collectibles, achievements, skill challenges and Riddler challenges there's a TON here. There's also Easter Eggs galore for DC fans or just Batman fans.

However, if you just want a good story, the first three in this series, including this one, are telling an excellent overall story. Might need to be a reboot after the next one though.

Someday this whole series is going to be one hell of a Steam sale grab. It really bothers me that nobody else has copied this formula to give us a good Marvel game or even other DC heroes. I mean, Spider-Man is similar, but for some reason it doesn't capture the essence of Spidey, like this series does with the Bat.

Recommended.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”