Shakes & Fidget

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Free game. There are two versions and they're the same. The newer one has better graphics. I thought I read somewhere there was a bug with the new one, but I haven't noticed anything. (I play the old version at home, and the new one runs while I'm at work. Same character.)

I'm Leisher on World 28 International.

This a grinder, but it's entertaining and has some charm. Basically, this is a game you can jump on and play daily, then do a "set it and forget it". I typically have it running in the background and I'll check on it every few hours, unless I'm running missions in which case I'll check it every 15 minutes or so to launch another.

Daily you get 60 minutes to do missions. That 60 minutes can be split up over 24 hours. You pick from three missions at a time based upon time required, items, XP you will get, and gold you will get. There are mounts you can buy to give you more missions each day. You can also buy more time with mushrooms (the only thing for sale in game, but you'll also collect bunches in game on missions).

Get high enough level and you start building a fortress. Get high enough level and you'll access new stores and pets and new areas and a new fortress and yada yada yada. There are also arenas for PvP, fortress raids and defenses, dungeons, tons of items, guilds, guild raids and wars, etc.

There's also achievements, which when gained, add bonuses to your stats. (Pro tip: Get your money down under 100 and then start doing the gambler achievement. It's pretty hard to pick the correct random cup three times in a row, but I got it. I'm truly not even sure I actually ever did get three in a row, but I may have played enough where they just give it to you.) Some are super easy to get, some just come as you advance. There is a single one that's about buying mushrooms, but nothing else requires any sort of payment.

I think this is available on the web as well as Steam. I play through Steam. No idea why it couldn't also be a mobile app. Oh, it is...

Good time killer. Just enough game to do something daily, not enough to get repetitive and dull. Seems new stuff comes at just a good enough grindy rate...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Apparently, you can't move around servers, and I'm not sure you can pick one. I think world 31 just went live so if anyone started playing now, the odds would be good we'd all end up on the same server.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

World 31 did launch today. So everyone joining now is getting the start as everyone else.
Cakedaddy

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Cakedaddy »

Started a game. Alex the Artist. Do we hook up or anything? Or just play solo till we can start a guild?
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Just invited you. Wish I could move my first character over to this new world, but that isn't allowed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

FYI: You seem to only be able to get lucky coins via the mobile app. Click the TV with wings to watch an ad and you get one. 10 gives you a free spin. 1,000 is an achievement.
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Make sure you buy the scrapbook from the Magic Shop when you're level 10. (Items might need to refresh.)

Also, if you "manage" your character and add an email and password, you'll be able to play across devices and will get 10 mushrooms.
Cakedaddy

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Cakedaddy »

I have managed, and can play on both.

What are you doing with your money? I spend it all on stats. Seems I get better items from quests than are in the shops.

I'm a battle mage. Thought I'd have spells. I have one that is cast at start of battle only. I'm basically a fighter.

What does treasure and instructor do in guild section?
Cakedaddy

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Cakedaddy »

If the server started yesterday, how are people already level 132?
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: What are you doing with your money? I spend it all on stats.
Stats for now, yes. Then the scrapbook and soon your fortress. Plus guild upgrades.
Cakedaddy wrote: What does treasure and instructor do in guild section?
The more we upgrade our guild, the more bonus XP and gold we get.
Cakedaddy wrote: Seems I get better items from quests than are in the shops.
Truth
If the server started yesterday, how are people already level 132?
They spent real money and have used mushrooms to skip everything.
Cakedaddy

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Cakedaddy »

I keep losing pvp battles because they can evade like crazy. I've increased my dex trying to counter, or be able to evade as well. No go. Still can't hit them and they beat the shit out of me.
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

There are guides out there, but doing a google search when I was having trouble revealed to me that the arena is really inefficient. It's the worst part of the game to try and get XP or gold. Also, mages are the shit there, followed by archers.

I know my warrior gets his ass kicked there a lot.
Cakedaddy

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Cakedaddy »

So far, meh. I don't mind the actual game play, but I don't like the commitment level. You literally have to check it every few minutes to keep your missions running. Granted, you can do it over a 24 hour period. But it's not something you can spend 15 minutes playing, then put it down. You are playing every 2-5 minutes for 20 seconds each. I like that you can set a timer and work for the town guards. But they payout is VERY low. About 1 good 5 minute mission worth for 8 hours of town guard work. I've been spamming the ads to get the coins to get the free spins. Might as well because it's going to be 2-5 minutes before I can pick the next mission.

I'm picking the mission with the highest pay and the lowest XP. I found that when I did the reverse (Because I thought there would be leveling bonuses) I was always under powered for PVP. I care about PVP because I read that was the best/quickest way to fill your book. You learn about all the equipment your opponent has equipped, if you beat them.

I don't like that all your stats are based on gold spent. Leveling just unlocks parts of the game? Access to the higher end merchants (I think) and pets. Not sure I'll care about the merchants as you have to dump ALL of your gold into stats to stay competitive.

Over all, it's got a good concept, good art and 'story' (some of the missions are humorous). But not sure where the game is going. I see all the guilds are 50 players big. Are you going to recruit 48 more people?!

I'm playing another game called Idle Heroes. Not going to go into everything, because there is ALOT in that game. But, it supports 15 minute bursts. You spend 15 minutes cashing in all of your resources, spending the free stuff you got, exploring what direction you want to take your 'team in' etc. Then ignore it for 8 hours and do it again as you have 'auto collected' a bunch of resourses. Also in this game, I don't know what the end game is. But, the grind is more fun because it's more interactive while I'm paying attention to it. There's no long lag between actions. Also, I'm in an active guild that's full. All we are doing is grinding right now because we are low level. But, it just opens up more to do during your 15 minutes.

And that's what S&F is missing. Active playing. There isn't any. But correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe there's a part of the game I haven't discovered.
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: I don't like that all your stats are based on gold spent.
They're not. Your stats jump when you level up, due to items, due to potions, and when you get achievements. Pretty sure they also get tied into your guild and fortresses. Plus, there's item enhancements and whatnot later.
Cakedaddy wrote: You literally have to check it every few minutes to keep your missions running.
See, that's what works for me. I play it mostly at work. I can start a mission, then ignore the game while I do some work. Once I go back to check on it, I start another and so on. Much better than games like Soda Dungeon where I, literally, can start a dungeon crawl and then not go back for weeks. Talk about inactive gaming.
Cakedaddy wrote: I'm playing another game called Idle Heroes.
Not sure I've played that, but it sounds familiar. I'll look at it.
Cakedaddy wrote: And that's what S&F is missing. Active playing.
And that's not what I'm looking for with it... If it was active playing, I wouldn't be playing. If I want active playing, I'll play Rust, Forest, L4D2, etc.
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Guild renamed.
Cakedaddy

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Cakedaddy »

I noticed that.

I still think the PVP arena is dumb. There are too many times where it's letting me pick from three people that are up to 5 levels higher than me. I wouldn't have a chance against any of them. I have learned that they options will refresh after a while. My guess is every 10 minutes, which matches the wait time between matches. They say it's the quickest way to fill your book, which is a good incentive to go there, then when you're there, it's kind of broken.

And like you said, the classes are VERY unbalanced. They have some tweaking to do.
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: I still think the PVP arena is dumb.
From what I've seen online, the arena is to be avoided. Just not efficient.
Cakedaddy wrote: And like you said, the classes are VERY unbalanced. They have some tweaking to do.
Crazy unbalanced. Mages are PvP kings.

Is Idle Heroes one we can "multi"?
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

I've noticed the time between lvl 10 and 25 is a waiting game until you can start building. Probably a good time to start working on your book where you can.

On my original account I spent the mushrooms to get the dragon and it really adds to the number of missions you can do. It's also an achievement, which means +5 to all stats. That account is far more "active" due to the fortress building, attacks, and troop training.

Have you accessed dungeons yet?
Cakedaddy

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Cakedaddy »

Idle Heroes is about as multi as this one. You can be in a guild and you all attack monster bosses, 'battle' other guilds. But pretty much everything you do is to get resources to make more heroes. More heroes you create, the more chance you have of creating a good one. When you have a lot of crappy ones, you can combine them to make a better one, etc. The game has a bunch of different daily things you can do, each one getting harder and harder. So you are trying to get better and better heroes to keep progressing. I never played Pokemon, but based on what I heard, this would be in the same category. You are playing to collect more and more heroes and trying to level them up. I like it because there's always something to do. You can get EVERYTHING in the game for free, however, pay to win is real because they have better stuff way sooner. I'm not sure how that affects me as they don't affect my day to day. Now, I will never be at the top of the PVP board, and our guild will never be at the top. I'm not sure what the end game is. Right now, I'm just trying to collect stuff because I enjoy killing time with the daily activities. So 'Multi"? Not really. But I would say it's a bit more multi than S&F because at least in Heroes, I can send you free resources and we have guild dailies. S&F, I'm only seeing the ability/stat investment stuff. Being in a guild doesn't unlock anything else, that I saw.

I think I did unlock the dungeons. That's the screen with all of the locked areas, right? One of them unlocked and I can fight it once per hour. It's kicking my ass right now though. I have only won one fight so far.
Leisher
Site Admin

Shakes & Fidget

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Idle Heroes is about as multi as this one.
It's not on Steam?

Remember the text based (with limited graphics) zombie one that was online? We all played it for a hot minute. That one was fun.
Cakedaddy wrote: I think I did unlock the dungeons. That's the screen with all of the locked areas, right? One of them unlocked and I can fight it once per hour. It's kicking my ass right now though. I have only won one fight so far.
Yeah, me too.

My other character has four dungeons open and has beaten all but the boss in the first one. Dungeons are hard.

I'll try fiddling around with guild stuff for us soon. There's a guild raid we can do and we can attack other guilds. No idea what is involved in those actions.