Galaxicus

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
TheCatt
Site Admin

Galaxicus

Post by TheCatt »

This game is interesting to me, mostly because it's a game I used to play in the mid-late 1980s, but has been adapted to the present. No idea how good it is any more.

Space-themed game where you fight other people in pvp and try to establish colonies (that can then generate better technology + weapons for you).

They've made changes though like Eve, where some places are protected. In the original, all of your colonies could be raided:
One of the most exciting possibilities with Galaxicus is that you pick the type action you most enjoy:
— Core colonies enjoy peace at a high penality on their tax income.
— Colinies established in the Rim cannot be taken by other players but they pay a price to the empire
— Frontier colonies pay no taxes to the empire yet they live with no outside protection and can be stolen by other players

— Sharpen your combat and planet management skills in the Academies while aquiring technology to aid your war campaigns

Whatever style of play you most enjoy, in Galaxicus you’ll be able to find a gameplay that matches it.
It's based on Megawars 3 (Megawars |||) if anyone played that. GEnie ran a similar game called Stellar Emperor.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Leisher
Site Admin

Galaxicus

Post by Leisher »

I have experience with those games.

Tell me more. What's the gameplay like? Is this P2W? Does more time = victory? Everything real time? Do you get X number of moves a day, ala those games in the 80s?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Galaxicus

Post by TheCatt »

I have never played THIS iteration of the game.

The game was interesting because it was the first real-time game I ever played. Rounds would last 4 weeks. Being first to find good planets was imperative to winning. Once you had a planet, you needed to pay attention to it. Some people just maintained their planets, which got pretty autopiloty after a while once things are setup.. The combat side took time, but you also never really had to participate in combat.

There was no pay 2 win, as there was no such thing as paying for the game, per se. Being first to good territory mattered most, setting up that territory at the beginning of the game (to then reap the benefits of the planets growth).

Back then I probably spent a couple of hours a day on it. I was a top 5/top 10 combat person, but not quite as good at the planetary stuff, as it was more tedious.
It's not me, it's someone else.