Don't Starve

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Don't Starve

Post by Cakedaddy »

I know I'm late to the party with this one, but I'm digging it. Played it for a few rounds a long while ago, but didn't really give it a chance. Was playing it over the weekend. Once you take the time to learn a bit, it gets more fun.

I was playing endless so I didn't keep losing everything. I'm going to throw this up as an option for Friday's when D&D falls through. (Or after Troy kills us all next session)
Leisher
Site Admin

Don't Starve

Post by Leisher »

I think Troy got me this as a gift one year.

I don't remember loving it, but tastes change. I will load it up and take another peek.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
TheCatt
Site Admin

Don't Starve

Post by TheCatt »

I kinda liked it, but found it hard.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Don't Starve

Post by Troy »

I thought the island/water DLC was the best version of single player Don't Starve.

The multi version has gotten legs of it's own and has tons of new and different content. I've played it a few times with the wife but we discovered she doesn't like survival games.
Stranger

Don't Starve

Post by Stranger »

TheCatt wrote: I kinda liked it, but found it hard.
i agree, especially when the seasons start to change. The cold temps and long winter nights were something i couldn't get past the few times i tried to play it.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Cakedaddy

Don't Starve

Post by Cakedaddy »

Those stupid dogs keep killing me. I built a wood wall fort, and they chewed right through it. If they show up at night, you better have a bunch of torches made, and be full, because you will have a long night of running. I've learned those big birds are tough and can kill them.
Cakedaddy

Don't Starve

Post by Cakedaddy »

Just started a server, and it was awesome. Tons of resources all around the respawn point. Spent first 12 days preparing for those damn dogs. Was about half done with my stone fort when they showed up. Just needed one more day. But, I made a bunch of food, got full and got ready to start running. Got them to follow me near some clockwork things hoping they'd fight. One dog died to them, but second still chased. I got too close to the clockwork dudes a couple of times and they got me. Died. That's when I realized I had the server setup for survival and not continual. I couldn't respawn and a new world was generated.

fuuuuuuuuudge.

There were a TON of frogs on the other side of a river, tons of rocks around the corner, I had a huge farm of beech trees (I eat a lot of nuts for food), berry trees were plenty, grass was not that far away. It was perfect! There were two worm holes that I didn't explore yet too. Those damn dogs. . . but honestly, with a wood gate to keep them out, not sure how long the stone would have lasted either. They'd just go for the door, I would think. I might have to google surviving the dogs.
Stranger

Don't Starve

Post by Stranger »

Yeah, the wolves! those bastards were the worst part of the game.

I never got far enough into the game to know, but are there weapons that can be crafted so that you can kill those things? The problem i had was any enemy i encountered i had no option other than to just run away.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
TheCatt
Site Admin

Don't Starve

Post by TheCatt »

I'm pretty sure a chicken killed me once
Troy

Don't Starve

Post by Troy »

Stranger wrote:
I never got far enough into the game to know, but are there weapons that can be crafted so that you can kill those things? The problem i had was any enemy i encountered i had no option other than to just run away.
Yes. You can make weapons and armor too. Wood and rope for a log suit and a pig skin for a helmet will help considerably. Both require some tech.

The valkerie is a fun character for later game fun. She gets life and sanity back just for killing monsters. You can pull her out of madness just by stomping some shadows.

Also burn a forest down and make a crockpot ASAP.
Cakedaddy

Don't Starve

Post by Cakedaddy »

I saw a blurb about rushing the crockpot, but didn't read much to know why or how. You can fight the dogs with the spear and armor. Also, when they bite, they have a moment where they don't do anything. You take advantage of that to get some free hits on them. It takes 5 spear hits to kill one.

Once you kill them, you can use their fangs in traps and then you set up kill zones with walls. Force them to run over traps so by the time they get to you, if they do, they are much closer to death.

Also, you can make a 'bush hat' or something like that and hide from them. But, it only works if they didn't see you hide. So be hidden before they show up, or get them to lock on to something else, then hide. When they pause to bark, they will lock on to the closest 'being'. So kite them near other stuff, wait for them to bark after they try to bite you, and make sure they are closer to something else to attack. Also, you can lead them to the cows. If they attack one cow, all the others will gang up on the dog and kill it pretty quickly.

So the 'safest' is to kite them. Just make sure you have enough light/food/sanity and make sure they don't catch you. Otherwise, you can time your hits with their bites. But over all, most people say 'learn to fight them'.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Don't Starve

Post by TheCatt »

I've never looked up help for this game. Seems like the point is to figur it out, or die.

Stupid chickens
Troy

Don't Starve

Post by Troy »

Trying all the new DLC characters on Don't Starve: Shipwrecked. This game still rules.

I know I could live past 20-30 days, if I played it more carefully consistently. But I never do. I always get itchy after setting a nice base up and run off to perish in the Volcano, or because of the stupid sharks or something. Or I die with multiple life-saving items in my inventory I didn't equip for some reason.

Still fun.