Graveyard Keeper

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Graveyard Keeper

Post by Troy »

Stardew Valley but darker setting and you run a Graveyard.

I didn't play Stardew Valley but was always interested. This one ticks more check boxes. May have to give it a look for $20.
Leisher
Site Admin

Graveyard Keeper

Post by Leisher »

I got this one in a Humble Bundle, and it was on my radar too.

The Stardew Valley is a good comparison, but so is saying it's like Animal Crossing, but with a much darker theme.

Long story short: You wake up in an unfamiliar place and you're now the Graveyard Keeper. You want to get home, but to do so you need to help other people so you can win their favor and get needed items from them. These folks are only around on specific days.

That brings up time. You have a normal week, but time goes pretty quickly. So does your energy. You will rapidly run out of both (Hint: Buy BOTH teleport devices when you can.) as you get things done.

The small town you're near has everything you need to farm, harvest lumber, harvest rocks (gold, silver, iron ore, charcoal, etc.), raise bees, cook, craft items, develop trade, write books, dabble heavily in alchemy, etc. Not to mention the church you're rebuilding, the graveyard you're improving, and the bodies you're removing parts from and improving. There's also a dungeon to fight in...

If that sounds like a lot, it is and there's simply no way to do it all. But don't worry, you will get help. I won't tell you who helps you, but it makes total sense.

The game has a ton of charm and so, so much to do. I know my story line went a LOT longer than necessary, and that's mostly because I'm a completionist. However, some of it has to do with flaws in the design...

The overall story is a bit unfocused. There's notes to help you remember what's going on, but they're not perfect. Also, the first time I did a certain action was LATE in the game and strictly by accident. It triggered a cutscene that I was apparently supposed to see much earlier. In another example, there was a character I was supposed to meet early on, but by the time I finally met him I didn't have a use for anything he sold. Also, there's no "end game" for a lot of the side stuff. They were just a means to an end apparently, like perfecting my graveyard.

There is a DLC out now that adds storylines for other characters and adds 6-12 hours of gameplay according to their marketing. Not sure if I want it or not.

I really enjoyed this game, but I also could have missed it. It's like it scratched an itch those casual grinding games itch, but without the extremely limiting "only so many moves a day/hour".

I probably will get the DLC, but not until it's on sale. Then again, we're under quarantine, so I might get bored enough tomorrow to just buy it. I'd like to have this game totally off my plate before my new video card arrives Wednesday (hopefully) and I want to move to something more graphic intensive.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Graveyard Keeper

Post by Leisher »

FYI, I'm seeing reviews on Stranger Sins, the DLC, and saying it's just "fetch" missions and there's not enough content for the $10 price tag.

Thus, I'll wait until it's much cheaper.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”