Shadow of Mordor

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Shadow of Mordor

Post by Leisher »

Kind of like GTA in Mordor.

There's a story, but I honestly forgot most of it by only playing in little chunks here and there. Plus, the story bits don't come up very often or get avoided by completionists like myself.

The fighting animations are the highlight of this game. They are an endless bit of joy and change based on your skills, weapons, locations, etc. While the fighting is very satisfying, it's pretty easy to button mash your way to victory.

There are side quests that help you improve your weapons, but I honestly had 3 out of 4 of the best runes available almost immediately for them. Lots of hunting "bosses" that always get replaced could add an infinite amount of time to your play through, but while fun as hell, it gets old. There's also "hunts" and collecting relics, old symbols, and plants.

Enemies are almost exclusively orcs ala LotR, but you'll also encounter weak underground mole things, sabertooth tiger knock offs, and rancor knockoffs. You can tame and mount some, but that wasn't very interesting. The orcs are the star of the show and they're awesome. They talk shit, cheat, run while talking shit, etc.

There are two maps and the first one is better for flow of movement. The second one had more interesting specific areas.

Fun game, but outside of combat and the orcs it fell flat for me. It'd be an amazing deal at $10 or under if you like the open world style of games though, particularly if you're into LotR.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”