Want to play D&D? Again?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Cakedaddy »

Because I can't get enough. . . .

I've been contemplating the idea of running random games. I'm calling it D&D arcade. The idea is to have small sessions that start and end in the same night. Like an episode. The sessions starts and ends at "The Inn" where the party gets a job and goes and does it. The plan is to make things hard, but rewarding, and action packed. Expect characters to die. Expect the whole party to get wiped out. Expect the night to be cleared in 20 minutes and be over. Reason for all of those is, I'd be learning balancing. I'm researching encounter calculators to help with the balancing. But over all, I'm making it up, it's not play tested, etc.

But the plan is to be able to add more sessions that are low overhead, people can drop in and out of (sessions are designed to be done in one sitting with no tie in to the next session), are more about combat, loot, and action than story line.

I figure I'd have stuff every week to two weeks. Advanced notice so people can commit and I can build the encounters based on the number of participants for the night. They are basically 'fetch', 'rescue', 'clear' type quests.

You will create your character, but I want to give some extra advantages because I want the characters to be a bit OP so I can throw more stuff at them. Each episode starts at "The Inn". If you die, you gain nothing from that night's adventure and you start the next session back at the inn like that session never happened. Your party members can only loot stuff from you that you gained from that session. If you die, you don't have to start over, you just 'restore from the last auto save'. Characters will level up, earn cash/loot, etc like normal.

Anyone interested?
Leisher
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Leisher »

Could you do a test one after one of our normal sessions?

Let's see what it's all about.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Cakedaddy

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Cakedaddy »

I would. But wouldn't it just be you, Stranger, and me? Everyone else seems to have to go to bed.
Leisher
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Leisher »

Well, the problem we're going to run into otherwise is making time for it.

Maybe Troy would like to be a player. That'd give you three characters and you as DM.

Would that work? Would we need to recruit someone else?
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Stranger »

I'm down for this. I also think that Friday night after our regular session will work best for me too.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Troy »

I'm interested in another game. I play one-shots live in the a local store every now and then and have fun.

I'm pretty wiped after DMing a session though. I'd definitely prefer to take a break and skip a session of Strahd to let Cake DM the night over going back-to-back games in the same evening.

The 5e anthology module "The Yawning Portal" seems like good inspiration for what you are going for, Cake. The framework is about 3 pages long and at the beginning of the book.

I could also do other days, mostly the weekend, if given some some notice.
Cakedaddy

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Cakedaddy »

I have my other group I play with, so we could have some overlap for more players.

Some of the ideas I have, I definitely want more people involved, but others would be fine with just a couple/few.

So, I'm gathering there's an interest. I'll work up a campaign then. Didn't want to take the time to write one up if there really wasn't an interest.

I'll keep you posted and try to give a time estimate so we can pick a night.
Cakedaddy

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Cakedaddy »

Lots of reasons why the above didn't happen. BUT. . .

I did go up about 3 full nerd levels recently. Have registered with, and am now playing WotC events at a local game store. I'm a cleric playing with local people in random pick up games. You keep a log of what your character accomplishes outside of normal leveling up stats. You gain access to certain items, but have to earn points to be able to 'buy' them. I'm doing this with my nephew who is DM'ing the other campaign I was playing.

Things I noticed:
1. It doesn't smell at all in there. I seriously expected a BO smell.
2. There were a LOT of people there. I'd say 40+ in about 8 different games.
3. There are socially awkward people there, but I've seen worse (Games Workshop).

Haven't done it much, but it's actually pretty fun and I won a new set of dice the other night. Was voted the best RP'er at our table. I didn't do a voice. I just stayed in character.
Leisher
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Leisher »

Look at you trying to become king of the nerds.

I used to go to a comic shop that also had tabletop gaming. It was always full of people. Mostly guys, but you'd see the occasional girl. One girl was a regular and was actually pretty attractive. Perhaps a unicorn?

I never did any of the gaming myself. Not for a lack of desire, but more a lack of time and knowledge of breaking into the games.
GORDON
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by GORDON »

Leisher wrote: Look at you trying to become king of the nerds.
I had sex. With a girl!
I used to go to a comic shop that also had tabletop gaming. It was always full of people. Mostly guys, but you'd see the occasional girl. One girl was a regular and was actually pretty attractive. Perhaps a unicorn?

I never did any of the gaming myself. Not for a lack of desire, but more a lack of time and knowledge of breaking into the games.
I used to want to get more into the nerdy gamer scene. I felt like they were my people. But then we met the people from UO in real life that one time, and I realized they were not my people.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I used to want to get more into the nerdy gamer scene. I felt like they were my people. But then we met the people from UO in real life that one time, and I realized they were not my people.
That reminds me of the time Al Bundy joined that bald guys club. He felt he belonged until he saw them in action, then gave his speech about "I'm not bald. You guys are bald!"

TheCatt
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: I had sex. With a girl!
Pretty sure that's illegal.
It's not me, it's someone else.
Cakedaddy

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Cakedaddy »

TheCatt wrote:
GORDON wrote: I had sex. With a girl!
Pretty sure that's illegal.
Unless she's from the Niagara Falls area.
Troy

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Troy »

I had some ideas on another campaign that would be fun. Kind of an island hopping, piratey campaign. I have a bunch of art assets and then some ideas about randomly generating islands and enemies/towns.

No way I’d run two at once though. And with The CoS still with plenty to go and the party currently under a lake, it’d be a while.
GORDON
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by GORDON »

With zelda's water spell we'd just walk from island to island.
Cakedaddy

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Cakedaddy »

Played at the local game shop again tonight. Different crowd tonight than last Sunday. The average age dropped significantly. The 'not funny' jokes increased significantly. Not to an unplayable level, but the socially awkward was there. We are thinking school nights are going to be the better nights to play. Still a fun session, and the group worked well enough together. But, there were more instances of not funny one liners.

Tonight's session saw no combat at all. It was pure story navigation. There was always the potential for combat, but we were able to achieve verbal resolution in all cases. Stranger would have HATED it.
Leisher
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Stranger would have HATED it.
Ha!
Leisher
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by Leisher »

Relevant

GORDON
Site Admin

Want to play D&D? Again?

Post by GORDON »

That reminds me of Malcolm in Borderlands, breezing through all the story stuff.