Greedfall

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Greedfall

Post by Leisher »

“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Leisher
Site Admin

Greedfall

Post by Leisher »

The claim about no fetch quests is dubious. I feel like there were definitely still fetch-like quests.

Still, this is a really solid game.

RPG that is very heavy on story. I would almost call it a "politics simulator". Yes, there is combat and a lot of it, but there is a ton of decisions, negotiations, and choices you need to make along that way that will affect both your companions, missions available, and the ending. I'd even argue that if you go in playing it and making the choices on your own, without trying to achieve a certain ending, you might learn a bit about yourself.

You are a young nobleman being sent to a magical island seeking a cure for a disease killing people on your continent. A continent with three powers: The Congregation of Merchants, The Bridge Alliance (science), and Theleme (religion). The last two are at war, and your country is basically Switzerland. All of you have established a city on this newly found island where natives live in peace with nature. The Bridge Alliance is at war with the natives, while Theleme is trying to convert them. Oh, and there are also the Nauts (sailors) and the Coin Guard (mercenaries). The Nauts are basically transportation for all countries, while the Coin Guard are both hired guns and work as security.

The "civilized" societies have gunpowder, wooden ships, and so on, exactly like humans on Earth during their same era.

Upon arriving on the island with your cousin you set out as a legate and immediately begin picking up missions. No overall story is there in the beginning aside from finding a cure. That leads to everything else. There is magic in this world, and it plays a big role in the story.

The story lines are all pretty well done, although there is a plot hole I discovered that I cannot remember at the moment. I will say that one specific moment, and thankfully I had a save right before it to correct it, gave me a massive shock. It was very, very cool though, and whether or not you see it will depend on how you play RPGs. (I was ok with correcting it because I had legit made a wrong turn that lead to seeing this incident. How I play RPGs would not have led me to this normally.)

There is a companion system and there are 5 of them in total. All bring different skills to the table, and yes, romance is possible with some of them.

There are also numerous ways to play. You can go heavy with magic, stick to ground fighting (two styles), and even use firearms. You can also mix them up. Building your character is also forgiven if you want to change things via magic crystals, but you only earn them by doing certain things and there are only so many. (Although, I would say they are plentiful.)

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who loves RPGs. It is a good one.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”