Singularity

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Singularity

Post by Leisher »

Yay Steam sale or Humble Bundle? I don't know where I got this, but it's $30 on Steam and there's no way I'd have paid more than $5-$10 or so for this game. (That's not an insult.)

FPS set today in Russia. Something is weird on an island that should be uninhabited. The U.S. illegally sends a team in to investigate. They get shot down and now you're running around trying to figure out the mystery this island holds. Turns out the Russians built a base there 50 years ago, but if it was abandoned, why is shit going down there right now?

This is not a triple A title, so that might explain the $30 tag and the not triple A graphics. They don't suck by any means, but they're not cutting edge either. This isn't Crysis. I guess it came out in 2010, so...I guess the graphics fit.

I played on normal difficulty and really didn't have much trouble. I died here and there, but I only ever hit one moment that seemed difficult until I remembered a game mechanic I was supposed to be using.

Weapons are standard for FPS games. Pistol, machine gun, shotgun, minigun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, sniper rifle, spikegun (sniper rifle with guideable bullets), and I think that's it? There are some other special ones for certain moments. You can only carry two guns at a time except when you get a special weapon. I used the pistol initially, then the shotgun, then the machine gun/minigun exclusively. Use burst fire and ammo will never be a problem. I found no need to carry anything else. There's one area that might be good for the sniper rifle and its ilk, otherwise you're indoors and in tight spaces. The grenade launcher I used for a single shot IMMEDIATELY upon finding it (that's a hint...) and then never needed it again. I don't think I ever needed the rocket launcher.

You also have a TMD that is like a glove that controls time and gives you some powers. The whole game revolves around it, but I didn't need it much at all except when the plot told me to use it. There is one enemy that using it on makes your life easier, but other than them (another hint) you can just run and gun.

The story is solid enough to drive you forward, but there are logic holes you could fly a Chinook through. There are also three endings that I found. Finding two of them is obvious, the last one (actually the first one I found) might not be so obvious...but it is... (It's also the best, imho.) Pretty short though. I have 18.3 hours listed on my Steam account for it, and a LOT of that time is the game sitting while I'm watching a movie, eating, working on other things, etc.

Overall, a fun game. I wouldn't recommend it at the $30 price tag it current has in the store, but at $10 it's a good buy for FPS fans.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”