Bedlam: The Game by Christopher Brookmyre

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Bedlam: The Game by Christopher Brookmyre

Post by Leisher »

I think I got this as part of the last Humble Bundle monthly thing.

FPS with an interesting story, that is apparently a book, but that isn't carried out very well in the game. This is basically if The Last Starfighter had sex with the Black Mirror episode U.S.S. Callister. Or Tron, I guess, but hat's not as much fun to say.

You are an Irish girl who wakes up in a video game. A 90s FPS and it looks like it. Later as you progress you move from game to game and graphics get better, but not amazingly better. The story is there, but I have no clue what's happening. Don't expect a resolution either... (hint, hint - A sequel is being discussed.)

It's fun-ish and a good concept, it's just not executed well. For example, this is my biggest gripe in the game: You can dodge snipers and railgun shooters easy peasy. They'll be far away and you'll see their shots coming or simply move and they will have trouble hitting you and vice versa. However, guys with submachine guns and pistols will still hit you quite easily and often no matter their distance. Get that? Something is broken in the code of the game. The developers didn't understand how to make those guys shoot without hitting you. It adds an artificial level of difficulty.

My other gripes are:
-Inconsistent hit boxes: I would, literally, aim center mass and fire multiple times and never hit anything, but if I reset my stance I could hit targets again.
-Piss poor weapons for the missions at hand.
-Level design isn't very good. The main level that you return to quite often is a jumbled mess of shit and not at all interesting.
-Worst part of the story is an ally getting admin rights and then not remembering to give you unlimited ammo until later in the game when you have to remind him. Once you get that, the game just throws tons of enemies at you to compensate. Just switch to the minigun and walk through the end level. The most dangerous things are the jumps and falling off the map.
-Oh, and sometimes enemies can walk and shoot through items on the map. That sucks.

Skip this game.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”