Want to play Dungeons and Dragons 5E?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: I think I'll be on tonight. The kid just got in from Chicago, and all he wants to do is chill on the XBox, tonight.

It's a great day out, though.

But I'll be in the basement playing D&D.

You're welcome.
It's about 55-60 in SF and so foggy outside it appears to be raining.

PRIME DND WEATHER.

Also it's a SF summer in a nutshell.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

SF and surrounds was some of the prettiest area I've ever seen, even in March.... but there are just too damned many people there for my taste, by a magnitude of 10.

It's 80 and sunny here, with a very light breeze. The grass is cut and there's a fire pit that hoped I would visit with it, tonight.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

GORDON wrote: SF and surrounds was some of the prettiest area I've ever seen, even in March.... but there are just too damned many people there for my taste, by a magnitude of 10.

It's 80 and sunny here, with a very light breeze. The grass is cut and there's a fire pit that hoped I would visit with it, tonight.
wifi
It's not me, it's someone else.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Next session Friday, 9PM.

The party is battling it out with evil druids while attempting to clear the Winery.

On Friday - I'll probably recap the last session a bit, give you a quick reminder of the enemies so far and then we'll jump back into initiative order.

It's about 3PM in Barovia.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Zelda running late at work putting out fires. She may be late, which sucks because this happened last time we got into a session spanning fight. We’ll see what happens I guess.
Last edited by Troy on Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Don't wait until the last minute to log in to discover you have comm problems.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Ya'll killed it tonight. Super fun battle.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

The running battle through the winery was pretty interesting.

Especially impressive how BeeDee, at great risk to his own life, after insuring the emotionally fragile Mordigan was safe behind the door, initially led the Needle Blights that were outside the winery away from the door. He led them away, and still made safe his gentle, trusting horse in the stable before leaping back into battle, to support his friends.

Then, my god, his bravery when he personally called out that hulking Barbarian, to further keep his party safe. His quick thinking and tauting to keep the Barbarian focused on him nearly killed him, but it helped keep Zelda safe from becoming a further holster for his stone spears.

Then his cool head in spite of the massive blood loss, when BeeDee realized they were about to be further overcome by enemies breaking through the double doors, and he made sure everyone escaped into a more easily defensible position down the stairs, which also ensured they kept pressure on the fleeing Swamp Druid, keeping him from regrouping and posing further threat. Last through the door, and then first into combat at the bottom.

Because of course, that's just how BeeDee rolls.

But he's way too humble to mention any of this, himself. He knows his deeds, so much more than could be expected from any mere human mortal, speak for themselves.

You don't have to thank him. You never will. You're welcome, anyway.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

And you people mocked me when I inconvenienced the party to make sure I bought some oil flasks.

We need to secure some wine for the gypsy camp. They wanted the good stuff, didn't they?

Who in our group is the best 'searcher of bodies'? I'm assuming Koban, but I don't know if perception is one of his specialties.

Are we going to consider a short rest to get our health back up with hit dice? Are we going to do it immediately, or after we search the rest of the place? Doing it before we search risks those chicken shits that were holed up in the woods coming in and cleaning up our kills. But, what if we run into more stuff for Koban to run away and hide from?
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

We def need a long rest. We all used up everything, I think.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Cakedaddy wrote: Who in our group is the best 'searcher of bodies'? I'm assuming Koban, but I don't know if perception is one of his specialties.
I get a +7 to investigation, which I believe covers searching bodies more than perception.
GORDON wrote: We def need a long rest. We all used up everything, I think.
The problem there is that the DM was very specific in pointing out that it's only 3:30 in the afternoon. I think he has more plans for us. So the rest of the party should all get in a short rest and Koban can search the winery and the bodies.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

We're all either 85% dead, or have a really good set of nails. None of us have any spell slots left. There's literally no more fighting we can do at this point.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: have a really good set of nails
Jealous.

Get used to it. I'm going to really start taking more advantage of my mobility and stealth. I'm not a tank, and thus, shouldn't be exposing myself in fights to take damage just to take damage.
GORDON wrote: None of us have any spell slots left. There's literally no more fighting we can do at this point.
Short rest will heal you and give you some spells back.

End of the day, we're at the mercy of the DM and the world we're in, so we'll have to see what happens.

It just seemed to me that we were very specifically not given an immediate long rest. We were told that we'd be advancing levels after said long rest. The fight is over. Everything is safe, yet we were not given the long rest, so...
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

GORDON wrote: The running battle through the winery was pretty interesting.

Especially impressive how BeeDee, at great risk to his own life, after insuring the emotionally fragile Mordigan was safe behind the door, initially led the Needle Blights that were outside the winery away from the door. He led them away, and still made safe his gentle, trusting horse in the stable before leaping back into battle, to support his friends.

Then, my god, his bravery when he personally called out that hulking Barbarian, to further keep his party safe. His quick thinking and tauting to keep the Barbarian focused on him nearly killed him, but it helped keep Zelda safe from becoming a further holster for his stone spears.

Then his cool head in spite of the massive blood loss, when BeeDee realized they were about to be further overcome by enemies breaking through the double doors, and he made sure everyone escaped into a more easily defensible position down the stairs, which also ensured they kept pressure on the fleeing Swamp Druid, keeping him from regrouping and posing further threat. Last through the door, and then first into combat at the bottom.

Because of course, that's just how BeeDee rolls.

But he's way too humble to mention any of this, himself. He knows his deeds, so much more than could be expected from any mere human mortal, speak for themselves.

You don't have to thank him. You never will. You're welcome, anyway.

You did do a fine job my friend. But i must say, when you've got one druid focusing on burning your armor and another entangling you in vines you become useless pretty quickly.

In the end i was able to chop one druid in half and let another one feel the cold steel of my sword for its last breath. But damn, those druids can fuck my world up!
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Post by Troy »

About the long rest thing (and Koban's nails)

1) You can only benefit from one long rest in a 24 hours period. So your next "long rest benefit" is the following day at dawn.

2) By all means the party can start a short rest. You may be able to find something more comfortable than the frosty cellar floor.

3) Next session will probably cover the rest of the day and the level up. I've had a few weeks to prep things, so I have more material than in-game time to run it. Usually, that means it's up to the party how the remainder of the day goes.

4) I messed up and didn't read the "1/2 dmg" Acid Arrow rule when the druid shot the first one. Koban would have taken like 3-4 damage from the arrow that missed him and blew up the vat! So he wouldn't have escaped TOTALLY unharmed from the fight.
Last edited by Troy on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

There was a big D&D thing this weekend on Twitch. A lot of streamers, podcasters, WOTC DMs, and celebrities took part. Part of it was like a renaissance fair, part a series of live D&D games on Twitch, and all of it was a hype release vehicle for the new module.

New module is actually two adventure books in the same city, Waterdeep. Seems interesting.

I didn't watch a lot of it, but the players of the last live session made me chuckle. Who was playing the tank, I wonder?

Travis McElroy was there too as Magnus.
Last edited by Troy on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Who are those people?
Troy

Post by Troy »

TheCatt wrote: Who are those people?
I only actually recognize the guys in the middle.

Middle left is Joe Manganiello - Sofia Vergara's husband and TV/Movie star
Middle right is Paul Wight, AKA "The Big Show", of WWE fame.
TheCatt
Site Admin

Post by TheCatt »

Troy wrote: Middle left is Joe Manganiello
Ah, right, he did look familiar, but couldn't place him.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Troy wrote: There was a big D&D thing this weekend on Twitch. A lot of streamers, podcasters, WOTC DMs, and celebrities took part. Part of it was like a renaissance fair, part a series of live D&D games on Twitch, and all of it was a hype release vehicle for the new module.

New module is actually two adventure books in the same city, Waterdeep. Seems interesting.

I didn't watch a lot of it, but the players of the last live session made me chuckle. Who was playing the tank, I wonder?

Travis McElroy was there too. Cosplaying Magnus.
I watched some of that this weekend. I happened to see the part that had 3 of the Critical Roll cast members (Mollymauk, Knott and Yasha) and the dad from the Adventure Zone podcast playing as, who else.. Merle. Good session

then the last one was the one you were talking about with the Big Show and Joe Mangeniello, that also featured a Critical roll member, Fjord. Pretty cool to watch.

And like you said the new module has two books. The first is set in the big city of Waterdeep and is only for levels 1-5, but the second book is set in the dungeon below the city for levels 5-20! Unusual, seeing that most of the books are for 1-10 levels. Going to level 20 is quite different.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!