Want to play Dungeons and Dragons 5E?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I've been going back and forth... Right this second I think I WILL be on tonight, but don't expect any heavy decision making.from me, tonight. I'm just going to be there, and go along.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Zelda is in tonight. We are also going to try a single microphone setup for the first time, so we'll see how that works.

She has been carrying a plot hook her in her back pocket since Madam Eva's. I asked her a few questions about it over sushi last night, and she seemed pretty solid in her narrative and ready to roll.

I was also informed that Zelda did some stuff last session, even if she wasn't present for party shenanigans.

I'm not entirely sure how it will be explained from her perspective, but it should be interesting.
Last edited by Troy on Sat May 12, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

That was a solid XP/difficulty rating and you guys took down in the final encounter. Kudos!

Combat at the higher levels is fun. I think the extra HP helps a lot.

How was the new mic?

Did Zelda really end the session hannibal-lectoring the owlbear around the clearing?

5/11
Session 12
Druid Fight Night

Party loot:

Bag of rough gems
Owlbear skin
Splinter from the Great Tree
Owlbear beak

Purchases:

Mordigan
Ball Bearings
Healing Kit
Holy Water
10 Torches

Koban
Wooden crossbow bolts
Wooden stakes
Last edited by Troy on Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 am, edited 6 times in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Bawk bawk!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I still need magic learning materials. . . . . .

I saw no issues with the new mic.

I can't help but wonder what story line may have been blown up because Zelda didn't go to the clearing alone or been more diplomatic about things. Or, was it another "let us turn your friends into shadows" type thing.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: Koban
Wooden crossbow bolts
Wooden stakes
Koban wants to distribute the stakes to everyone in the party. We should each have one.
Cakedaddy wrote: I can't help but wonder what story line may have been blown up because Zelda didn't go to the clearing alone or been more diplomatic about things. Or, was it another "let us turn your friends into shadows" type thing.
As quick as they were to get hostile, I'm thinking it wouldn't have ended well for her if she wasn't totally on board immediately.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote:
I can't help but wonder what story line may have been blown up because Zelda didn't go to the clearing alone or been more diplomatic about things. Or, was it another "let us turn your friends into shadows" type thing.
Well, it was a light RP session, but the answer to the question “what are the druids up to?” was one that could have been gotten that way.

I like the way it ended up. I can kick the “narrative can” down the road to other NPCs.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Dice rolling to happen tonight at 9PM EST. I have a decent amount of material from last session, and I'll try to prep a few random encounters you could face depending on how the party rolls.

Zelda may be a little late, but she has ordered Chipotle for dinner, so I expect her to show at some point even if just for the rice + beans. It's her last day before being promoted to a new role in her company. I believe she has an early happy hour with her team to say goodbye. She might be even more prone to bad interesting decision making than usual.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: she has ordered Chipotle for dinner
Did she lose a bet?

I will be on time this evening.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

I felt like I was all over the place tonight. I swear I cut a few NPCs so I could focus on the important ones and save time!

I think it went well enough, a few plot hooks finally merged, and I got to play Strahd in the undead flesh!

item/smith stuff on the Roll 20 forum

map

Couple notes:

The "Nest of Ravens" is the Blue Water Inn
The first item is the Tomb of Strahd. It's his personal journal.

The second location was a "dragon's house" which is "Argynvostholt", a haunted manor over the bridge and southwest of town.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Doing research for my adventures, I came across the Pseudodragon in the monster manual. According to the manual, they can be familiars! I very much want one! DM, may I take a pseudodragon as my familiar?!?!

It's rated at 1/4 challenge rating.
Troy

Post by Troy »

I think you have to be a warlock for that familiar. 3 levels of warlocks, actually.

Also you WOULD want the most broken familiar in the game.

Magic resistance, poison bite, flying, telepathy, shared senses out to a mile(!), jesus - it even can pass on the magic resistance to you.
Last edited by Troy on Thu May 24, 2018 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

He didn't say no...
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: He didn't say no...
Well, it's one of the defining features of the warlock class. It's like Koban asking me if he can use "Cunning Action" for an extra attack because it's similar to Mordigan's "Action Surge"

Warlocks aren't as strong spellcasters as wizards, but instead can get a cool familiar or the ability to summon a magic blade.

Yes, if your next 3 levels are warlock you can totally take it. *you also have to sell your soul to an otherworldly patron
Pact of the Chain
You learn the Find Familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn't count against your number of spells known. When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms: imp, pseudodragon, quasit or sprite. Additionally, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your familiar to make one attack of its own with its reaction.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Is anyone else looking at a conflict tomorrow, a fine summer weekend evening, and hoping others will speak up and have the campaign put on hold?
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Is anyone else looking at a conflict tomorrow, a fine summer weekend evening, and hoping others will speak up and have the campaign put on hold?
Zelda and Szoldar already said they were in. I’m not against pushing back a week if more of the party can’t make it tho.

Sound off if you can’t!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: Is anyone else looking at a conflict tomorrow, a fine summer weekend evening, and hoping others will speak up and have the campaign put on hold?
No, but I'm guessing since it's the first weekend of summer this could potentially become a theme?

I will be on and can play your character for you. "BeeDee lays hands on himself furiously."
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I prefer "vigorously."

But we'll see, regarding tomorrow. If I don't show, play my guy.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I'll be on tonight to play. Probably going to miss June 8th in two weeks though.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I think I'll be on tonight. The kid just got in from Chicago, and all he wants to do is chill on the XBox, tonight.

It's a great day out, though.

But I'll be in the basement playing D&D.

You're welcome.