Want to play Dungeons and Dragons 5E?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I get what Gordon is saying. I also agree to a point.

I understand why we have to do a dice roll, but yeah, a guy with an 18 DEX should have a ridiculously low chance of failing, not a moderate chance.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: I get what Gordon is saying. I also agree to a point.

I understand why we have to do a dice roll, but yeah, a guy with an 18 DEX should have a ridiculously low chance of failing, not a moderate chance.
Well now that we've set the target - I'd say that walking on 6 inches of ice is DC 5. Can't you practically drive car on that much ice?

I'd imagined a much harder scenario, 1-2 inches.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Fair enough. And again, I aint criticizing or attacking you, don't take this discussion in that tone. 5E just seems more complicated and dumb, in some ways. :-D
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Fair enough. And again, I aint criticizing or attacking you, don't take this discussion in that tone. 5E just seems more complicated and dumb, in some ways. :-D
No no - I don't take it that way. I appreciate it. I wanted to talk to you guys about feedback before the session.

I want it, I'll take it this way, or through DM, or email. Whatever works, info is good.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Your storytelling aspects are top shelf.

Sometimes.... when you hear your player say something that intrigues you... maybe sometimes just PRETEND to roll the dice, and let the story go in that direction. Or not. Whatev.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

BTW, B.D.'s actions.... openly disrespecting the servants of the dark lord, and even the dark lord himself....

BD knows how this is going to end, and he's making sure the vampire knows it, too. One or the other of them will be dead. If an open display of disrespect causes the vampire a momentary shiver of uncertainty.,.. that is an advantage for BD.

So when BD tells that messenger at the crossroads to tell his master to go fuck himself, that was the intent. I'm guessing that was a new experience, for Strahd.

In case anyone wondered.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Alex's spells. Still learning, and learned some good stuff tonight. Ritual spells. I'd known about them, but didn't think I had any yet. Wanted to know when I'd get some, and it turns out I already have some! A ritual spell can be cast without being prepared (for wizards), and does not use a spell slot! However, it takes an extra 10 minutes to cast and I have to have my spellbook with me. These are obviously non-combat related spells like Find Familiar and Identify. This is cool because I have additional utility that I didn't have before. Also, there are spells that require concentration. I have to pass a con saving throw if something happens to me (I take damage, get knocked over, etc) to keep the spell in effect. I have not cast any of these (I only had one), so I didn't break any rules on that one.

But anyway, being able to cast a few extra spells for free and without having to prepare them is awesome.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

Also, Troy, I sent you a PM on Roll20.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Had fun again. After-session from me after discussing with everyone is that I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out.

It was a challenging one for me because I had to be the city watch in Ravenloft for the first time. That put me in a adversarial mood for the evening - I don't know I'd have changed things up though. I think that's pretty much what Vallaki is like.

Zelda hates the "intro to a town" sessions. Too much narrative not enough action, I think.

As sessions go, next one will me a more relaxed one from my end. I have plenty of Vallaki material but am relying on you to drive it.

Another after-session comment was about too many people talking. Heard this from a bunch of people. We discussed muting microphones if you aren't in a scene. I think this is a good idea and the way to go.
Last edited by Troy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I don't know how that detective ever gets anything done with that bullying style. He is literally provoking a fight nonstop.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: I don't know how that detective ever gets anything done with that bullying style. He is literally provoking a fight nonstop.
He was extra angry, disagreeable, and paranoid. They rarely see "foreigners" and many of them end up being untrustworthy.

Detective Wachter may be a dick - but nonetheless, the man is a plot hook machine. Just don't get on his radar. I thought he treated BeeDee quite well.
Last edited by Troy on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I didn't feel it would be breaking my lawful good paladin ideals, though, if I drew my sword to backup Koban. The dude was begging for a fight.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

BTW Stuart is.funny as hell.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I REALLY need to find a shop where I can buy magic supplies. Doesn't need to be a magic shop. Just needs to be a shop that carries random things. I can maybe forage for a lot of the supplies as well. If there's a weird person selling eye ball balls and laughing sticks, maybe there's someone that sells copper wire, fleece, incense, phosphorous, a piece of string, wood, etc. The spell components are generally random, normal things.

Any chance I can wake up early, do some shopping, and have about an hour and a half to prepare spells and stuff before we get started? I'd like to change my familiar. I want an owl. It can deliver touch spells against targets using the flyby trait. Provokes no opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach. Has Keen Sight giving it advantage on perception checks, perception +3 and stealth +3. Darkvision for 120ft (can see in darkness as if it were dim light).

That being said, here's what I read and how I interpreted it:
I ready the spell on my turn and set it to "When my familiar touches the target" and command my familiar to deliver the spell. It delivers it on its turn (it rolls its own initiative) using my abilities for the attack roll/DC saves. It uses it's reaction to deliver the spell and my reaction kicks in as soon as my familiar touches the target. Since I'm actually casting on my reaction (per the 'Ready' action), I lose the ability to do an attack of opportunity (since that is a reaction), unless I want to cancel the spell, wasting it, and opp attack. Also, I have to maintain concentration until my familiar touches the target. So if I lose concentration, I lose the spell and it's not delivered. Familiars can perform actions, but not attack. Such as, take 'Help' as an action giving another person advantage on their attack. Can it 'Help' with a flyby? PHB page 192 "You feint, distract the target, or in some other way team up to make your ally's attack more effective." Would an owl doing a flyby at your face count? Or does the owl have to land on his face, end turn, and hang out there to allow 'Help' to kick in? Another example, but can't site an official book/page: "Help Action: Give advantage in and out of combat. Examples: distract enemies/hold tools/look scary to intimidate/etc." If standing there looking scary counts, I would think a large bird with talons diving at your face would too. General consensus that I saw on forums, said a flyby counts. But, wanted our DM's ruling.

Other uses: It can fetch items and deliver written messages. So I can literally send an owl after BD in the morning. Drop things, like acid flasks.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Don't you have a component pouch? I think it covers anything that doesn't have a gold value in its material cost. So just Identity and Find Familiar?

Oh - I guess you added more spells at Level 4 too.

Your question about the morning is for the party I think.

I will have to read up on familiars.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

You mentioned that I need to spend 10 gold for each familiar. Also, I want to learn the spells on the scrolls as well as the last one in the yellow book. Last night, when I mentioned shopping for stuff for my spells, your response, in character was "We don't have any magic shops in town", implying that I needed a 'magic shop'. I was pointing out that the supplies could also come from a general store.

I figured I'd need some time to shop for those materials so that I can study the spell later. I'd also need an hour and ten minutes to change my familiar, and 10 gold in supplies (bought while shopping). Rather than hold the party up, I figured Alex would get up early and take care of that stuff. Is there enough to do in town that I can shop while they explore? Can you run two parties like that at the same time? Do you want to just say "You got up early, found what you needed, it's 8am and everyone is now meeting at the Inn"? Do you want to meet on Roll20 and have some alone time to run me around town and then we'd pick up at 8am with the rest of the group on Friday? I'm also down to 69gp, so I'd only be able to get 'Familiar' supplies and supplies to learn one new scroll/book spell. Which means after we get paid after the auction, I'm going to need to do more shopping! Other people need to start buying healing potions!

I did add more spells for level 4. Don't say what they are yet! The 100gp pearl for Identify, was that in my component pouch like any other component? Any loot we've gotten have a pearl in it?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Geez these high maintenance wizards :P

I'd prefer to do shopping in the session for [reasons]. You can assume that there's a rustic general store location that caters to lumberjacks and hunters.

maybe get me a shopping list ahead of session if you want to make it fast and easy?

My preference in an "I'm operating away from the party" scenario is to get a narrative of your opening move ahead of time, and then I can figure out how that would have affected the game world when we start.
Last edited by Troy on Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

My shopping list is literally 'materials'. The book does not spell out what you have to buy. It just says it costs 50gp per spell level as I ruin materials trying to figure shit out. The list I gave above are examples of the materials random spells need to cast as a possible example of the materials I'll be ruining while learning the new spells. The familiar materials are "herbs, incense, and charcoal".

The materials that are required to have to cast the spells I want to learn are:
Copper coin - Detect thoughts
pinch of sand colored red, yellow, and blue - Color Spray
Magic Weapon - needs no materials to cast.

So, again, no idea what exactly I would be shopping for. Except "fine inks". The book mentions those as part of the materials to copy spells into my spellbook. Spells I learn through leveling up do NOT require all this overhead. Only spells I find in the wild and want to put into my book.

So, I would guess the following materials would cover it, and where'd I'd buy them:
Inks and quill for writing (general store)
Incense because it's ALWAYS used in the arcane (general store or an upscale general store)
Dyes for the sand (tailor shop or general store)

Really, I don't think we need to over think this. . . I just need to spend 50gp per level. But from a deep RP point of view, I guess the above items would cover it? Just let me buy "a little of this, and a little of that"!
Troy

Post by Troy »

I thought we already established you just spend money to copy spells. You've already done this in game before?

I'm talking about spell casting components with gold amounts. Anything else is assumed to be in your component pouch.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

GORDON wrote: Fair enough. And again, I aint criticizing or attacking you, don't take this discussion in that tone. 5E just seems more complicated and dumb, in some ways. :-D
I think it gives him more options. In the old days, Ice was Ice. You either could walk on it, or you couldn't. Now, as he described, you either easily walk on it because it's thick and flat. Or you fall through because it's thin or slide because it's not flat or it's a floating chunk of ice. Allows for more diverse story telling.

You could also just FORGET EVERYTHING YOU USED TO KNOW!! so it doesn't keep getting in the way!