Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Cakedaddy

Want to play Dungeons and Dragons 5E?

Post by Cakedaddy »

If only Australia had Internet.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: I went into this with a curious mind figuring it might be alright. Now I'm legit bummed we're not playing this weekend.
HA! i just came here to say the same exact thing.. Really wish we were playing tonight
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I went into it wanting to really role-play my conflicted Paladin, but I find that role-playing a dick means I have to act like a dick a lot, and I don't really want to.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: I went into it wanting to really role-play my conflicted Paladin, but I find that role-playing a dick means I have to act like a dick a lot, and I don't really want to.
Did you read my big post previously about how you could be portraying him? I like the idea that he's a dick because he has no tact, over a dick just to be a dick.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

No, there's definitely a reason he is the way he is. Not to sound like a douche, but I have 4 books written, now, all character driven... I found my strength. :-P

But realistically acting him out.... I feel bad. I don't actually want to pretend to disrespect Troy's wife as we play.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

i actually find the character of BeeDee very entertaining and i think you're doing a fine job of roll playing him. I think talk can be talk its the actions that will determine if BeeDee is actually Lawful/good or not and we'll see that as the campaign goes on.

I think we will all eventually find our character's "character" as we play longer, but as far as BeeDee goes, i think Gordo's got his character's persona down good.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Word, thx.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Sorry to disappoint, dudes. Landed in Australia - It's Saturday morning here.

If it makes you feel better, I worked on the campaign material quite a bit before I left, My D&D notebook has about 2-3 sessions worth notes + material I need to sort and harmonize.

I want more of it ready, because i'm supposed to really give you guys the reigns in the next session. Just be the world, and let you guys figure the rest out. That means if you guys decide to just run off in a random direction I need to have something ready.

I'm using the travel down-time to comb the DM guide and figure out how to realistically (and in a fun way) let ya'll explore the land, and working up the random encounter table.

Two things I've been thinking:

1) Talking in third person. Do it more, if it helps you get into your character.

BeeDee walks up to the farmer and says "-----"
Koban careful sneaks down the hallway and peaks into the room
* etc.

2) Now that everyone "gets" the character sheet, I need to better about your skill checks. I should be making you guys describe what you want to do and then ruling what kind of check needs to be made. Example:

"Zelda is going to search the path for tracks."
"Alex is going to use his magical training to discern if this force field has any weaknesses"
"Mordigan is going to read this journal for anything having to do with [quest]"

I can then decide if it's just an easy DC that doesn't have to be rolled for, or if it's a tough spot that I can request an appropriate skill check for. That way you stay more in character and get the easy actions resolved without requiring checks.
Last edited by Troy on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Please fill in your character sheets too if you haven't. Alignment, etc. I need that stuff for some encounters. I'll print off your sheets and quick reference them next session.

And the Roll20 sessions notes are editable if you really want to scratch an itch. I've only got Session 1 up to the campfire incident. I have the session 0 notes written down, but haven't ported them over yet.
Last edited by Troy on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

GORDON wrote: No, there's definitely a reason he is the way he is. Not to sound like a douche, but I have 4 books written, now, all character driven... I found my strength.
Well, assert that strength and write his character bio here as I've said we all need to do. Again, one story for the rest of the party. Actual details can be given to the DM. Go back and read my post.

If we're really RPing, EVERYONE needs to get this done before the next session. Otherwise, we just continue the "Well, my guy has a +6 and playing by the numbers..."
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I'll work on Mordigan's backstory tonight. I'm going to go off the background that I chose and selected some of my skills from, which is the Soldier.

We should all have a background chosen and that should give a general idea of where you came from
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Alright, let me preface this by saying i took much of this story from Val Kilmer's character Madmartigan in the movie Willow. But this is his backstory and not like what you see in the movie. I took some liberties to change it to fit in as a character in this game. Namely, everything after he gets freed from the crow's cage, so pretty much 90% of the movie?? But i do give credit to the Willow Wiki page for giving me the basis of this story.

Mad Mordigan is the son of a noble family of Galladoorn. He was given impeccable schooling, so that someday he would ascend to administrative duties of the kingdom.

However, Mordigan was far too restless, and reckless as a child. He would escape his lessons in the palace to visit Galladoorn's eclectic bazaars and became friends with a group of Eastern swordsmen who taught him sword fighting. At age ten, he was able to save his friends from bloodthirsty Orcs by slaying some. The famed swordsman Roniro noticed his raw talent and took the boy as an apprentice and taught the lost art of sushin, but died shortly after Mordigan reached knighthood. Afterwards Mordigan never spent time with his fellow knights, preferring the company of caravan drivers. Mordigan was at odds with his noble family.

When he fell in love with princess Carissima she was convinced that Mordigan had been cheating on her, the princess accused Mordigan of revealing court secrets to her. Thus Mordigan lost all honor along with the armor and stature of knighthood. Mordigan spent much of the next 10 years in taverns and brothels but was given one last chance to regain his honor. The knights of Galladoorn took to arms to repulse the evil Queen Bavmorda at the Land's End. Mordigan lost his opportunity by deserting his fellow knights, thus becoming a Darkstar.

As punishment Mordigan was led to the crow's cage where he was left to die of thirst. He was freed by the gnome Willow who was being tracked by a band of thieves. Mordigan promised aid and upon being released helped to cut down the band of marauders. Shortly after Mordigan split from Willow and set out on his new life living as a Darkstar, denounced by his noble family and disowned by his home of Galladoorn.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Anyone else write a bio yet?

This page got quiet fast. i guess its because were still 10 days away from playing again..
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Troy

Post by Troy »

Stranger wrote: Anyone else write a bio yet?

This page got quiet fast. i guess its because were still 10 days away from playing again..
Well, as long as people GET THEIR ALIGNMENT IN BEFORE 3/2, all will be well. If anyone's sheet doesn't have that filled in, i'm absolutely going to do the encounters where that matters with the worst possible assumption for how the encounter reacts to them.

And the page can go quiet, that's not a big deal. Just this 1-10 campaign is supposed to be like ~6 months of 2-3 hours once a week sessions. It'll ebb and flow.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

I have a feeling Zelda will be receiving much harsher dice rolls in the future.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'm working on mine. I hope to have it done before the next session.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

I've been listening to this podcast while i'm at work for the last few days.

http://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/

I started at the campaign 2 episode 1 so that i could catch the story from the beginning and also because the first campaign is 115 episodes long and about 3 hours a piece! Too long to try and catch up on.

But the DM, Matt Mercer is a big streamer and does an excellent job of setting the stage and making the whole thing work. Plus the PCs are obviously voice actors so it plays out sort of like a novel. But its really fascinating to see how the group figure their way through things and how the DM is obviously improvising all along and asking for perception, intelligence, dexterity checks . You can see how the story can really go in any direction depending on what the PCs decide to do.

Obviously these nerds have many many hours of D&D under their belts and know how to let conversations between PC and DM and even PC to PC play out to really make a good story.

The first episode takes quite a bit before it really gets going so you can fast forward about 30-45 mins. There is one chick that kind of annoys me with her shit and i wish the others in the group would tell her to shut up once in a while but i guess thats how that goes. If interested check it out, i find it great for work because i just sit at my desk all day anyways.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
thibodeaux

Post by thibodeaux »

Troy

Post by Troy »

Stranger wrote: I've been listening to this podcast while i'm at work for the last few days.

http://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/
I love me some dnd podcasts! I haven’t listened to critical roll religiously, but I’ve heard super good things. Mercer does a bunch of how-to-DM Youtube videos I have really enjoyed though. There is some serious budget and experience behind critical roll content.

I’m always partial to the “The Adventure Zone” podcast crew because they are goddamn hilarious and you get to watch them go from knowing nothing to finding their D&D feet.

^^ lol thib that story is hilarious. Shoulda had a random encounter table ready when he ran out of content, though.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Are you guys saying we should be recording our sessions and posting them online?