Want to play Dungeons and Dragons 5E?

Mostly PC, but console and mobile too
Troy

Post by Troy »

I took a few big ones from that list I was under informed on:

You can dance around in combat as long you stay within range of the same creature(s) when you do without getting an opportunity attack.

The ready action thing is definitely a good one to use. Ready an arrow, or a javelin, for example.

I didn't know any class could just "dodge" - I thought only thieves could. It's true, and that one is great. Imposing disadvantage on attack rolls against you will help things big time for frontliners.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Not dodge, but I was pretty sure I could declare "Defensive Posture," and get a bonus for my AC... like the enemy gets a -4 to attack, or something like that. But I wasn't sure enough to make an issue of it.
"Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid."
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote:

Each spell's description indicates whether you need to make an attack roll, or the target needs to make a saving throw, or both. - So, if a spell doesn't specify a saving throw, there isn't one? As in, no saving throw against a Firebolt?

Seems setting up your spells on your CORE page could conflict with what's on your SPELLS page. Playing around and it seems some changes made on one page will update the other, but some changes don't. Very confusing.

Yeah, Firebolt is just a ranged attack you use your spellcasting mod for.

If you set it up on the SPELLS page, it should autopopulate the CORE page. There is an option to turn it into a roll instead of displaying the spell text.
Troy

Post by Troy »

GORDON wrote: Not dodge, but I was pretty sure I could declare "Defensive Posture," and get a bonus for my AC... like the enemy gets a -4 to attack, or something like that. But I wasn't sure enough to make an issue of it.
You were right though, and basically asked for dodge. Should have had disadvantage on attack rolls by wolves you could see during R1.
Last edited by Troy on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Been a long time since I played. My memory is imperfect.
GORDON
Site Admin

Post by GORDON »

Tonight at 9 is the regroup?
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Glad you said something. Yes.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote:Glad you said something. Yes.
Yep yep. Zelda and DM will be there.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I'll text Mordigan to remind him. Pretty sure he's nursing a hangover today.

I'll text Cake too.
“Every record been destroyed or falsified, books rewritten, pictures repainted, statues, street building renamed, every date altered. The process is continuing day by day. History stops. Nothing exists except endless present in which the Party is right.”
Troy

Post by Troy »

Leisher wrote: I'll text Mordigan to remind him. Pretty sure he's nursing a hangover today.

I'll text Cake too.
Sweet. Thanks!

Hopefully we can get Snake Bite canyon wrapped up quickly.

I've got some non-combat-map stuff in store tonight for after.
Last edited by Troy on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Stranger texted and said he remembered. Haven't heard from Cake, but he's pretty reliable about stuff like this.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

At lvl 2 I get Cunning Action:
Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a Bonus Action on each of your turns in Combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Troy

Post by Troy »

Thanks for playing dudes!

Doing framework of the session recaps, editable by all on Roll20. Yell if you have questions about the Level 2 stuff.

Sorry it's going to be so long in between sessions. I'm pumped we got two in though!!

e: shit Leisher your like Nightcrawler.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Troy wrote: e: shit Leisher your like Nightcrawler.
Exactly.
Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Leisher wrote: At lvl 2 I get Cunning Action:
Starting at 2nd level, your quick thinking and agility allow you to move and act quickly. You can take a Bonus Action on each of your turns in Combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.

I get a similar skill called Action Surge

Starting at 2nd level, you can push yourself beyond your normal limits for a moment. On Your Turn, you can take one additional action on top of your regular action and a possible Bonus Action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or Long Rest before you can use it again. Starting at 17th level, you can use it twice before a rest, but only once on the same turn.

i did a some looking into this because it reads a little confusing. So i can take two attacks in a turn, or attack and then dodge, or attack and second wind (which is a self heal), or even a number of other things. Of course i can only use that once before resting but when i get to level 5 and get a second attack i can use this and get 4 attacks, potential for huge spike damage.
WORLD CHAMPIONS!!
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

Bring on Tiamat!
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I have to pick my arcane tradition at level 2, which is picking my specialty. I have a ton of reading to do. . . .

Abjuration - protection as a magic shield with hitpoints.
Conjuration - create an inanimate object within 10 feet, teleport.
Divination - preroll 2d20. Use those rolls on any creature as their attack/saving/ability roll. Reusable spell slots after casting. Improved sight.
Enchantment - Hypnotize, charm.
Evocation - no friendly fire from AOE for 1 creature of my choice per spell level. Cantrips do half damage when saved against. Add my INT modifier to damage from Evocation spells.
Illusion - create illusions for confusing.
Necromancy - Life steal, animate dead and they get bonuses.
Transmutation - manipulate matter.

I'm digging Abjuration, Divination, Evocation, and Necromancy. But mostly Necro. Although, the handbook says that only Evil people use the raise dead spell regularly. But, it's pretty powerful. But I figure if we can have a racist male chauvinistic cursing paladin, we could have an undead loving neutral wizard. And speaking of this: Will our DM be imposing alignment shifts based on our character's behaviors?

Expanding on that. . . . Are we, as a group, playing the game to 'win', or playing characters with a will of their own. In other words, if I end up sliding evil because I'm addicted to raising the dead, my character should be more apt to be selfish or whatever Evil is. If BD loses his paladinhood, he might slide all the way to chaotic evil in a self destructive downward spiral of guilt and shame. Are we playing characters with their own agendas, or playing as a group of friends playing by the numbers to win the game?
Troy

Post by Troy »

Cakedaddy wrote:

Expanding on that. . . . Are we, as a group, playing the game to 'win', or playing characters with a will of their own. In other words, if I end up sliding evil because I'm addicted to raising the dead, my character should be more apt to be selfish or whatever Evil is. If BD loses his paladinhood, he might slide all the way to chaotic evil in a self destructive downward spiral of guilt and shame. Are we playing characters with their own agendas, or playing as a group of friends playing by the numbers to win the game?
The fun one.

RE: Alignment

And I think if you make a major character change like that you should provide the narrative.

Most of you guys are neutral right? You should have a backstory to why you are shifting. Then NPCs and PCs can ask you about it.
Cakedaddy

Post by Cakedaddy »

I don't know what other people's alignments are other than BD being mandatorily lawful/good.

Except that he's not. . . Reading the book, and doing some googling, it appears that Paladins are not bound to the lawful/good alignment. On page 88 of the book when speaking of the Oath of Vengence "so the paladins are often neutral or lawful neutral in alignment".

I had declared my alignment as neutral. But if my actions push me away from neutral, I can come up with a backstory. "As I spent more time in the world, I realized that taking the middle road wasn't going to work. I had to make a decision. Rise to good and be good. Or take the way of Evil because good is dumb. And because sometimes, the only way to defeat evil, is with greater evil." So right now, I'm neutral because I'm young and naive to the world.
Leisher
Site Admin

Post by Leisher »

I also thought Paladins were Lawful Good (like Superman). I like that they have a bit more leeway.
Troy wrote: Most of you guys are neutral right? You should have a backstory to why you are shifting. Then NPCs and PCs can ask you about it.
I think you should probably "punish" anyone who does stray too far from their alignment. Maybe without them even knowing. Like an item/ability that used to work, but now doesn't (I'm pretty sure there are items sensitive to alignment?) or NPCs reacting differently. (But read on as I don't think it should be black and white.)
Cakedaddy wrote: I had declared my alignment as neutral. But if my actions push me away from neutral, I can come up with a backstory. "As I spent more time in the world, I realized that taking the middle road wasn't going to work. I had to make a decision. Rise to good and be good. Or take the way of Evil because good is dumb. And because sometimes, the only way to defeat evil, is with greater evil." So right now, I'm neutral because I'm young and naive to the world.
So here's the thing: We don't walk around in life with "Neutral Good" or "Lawful Evil" tattooed on our foreheads. If Alex starts dabbling in necromancy, NPCs won't know unless they witness it or we tell them. Animals will know because of their ability to sense evil/intent, but people won't. (except maybe Paladins?)

I love the idea of your wizard wanting the power of necromancy, but does learning it make you evil? I understand it would to someone who sees you use it or it might make animals nervous around you, but would those of us in the party understand and be able to deal with it? BeeDee, in particular, might have a MAJOR issue with it. Hell, his natural abilities are geared to fight the undead. How about my Chaotic Good rogue? My "I don't give a fuck" nature says yes, but would the good in me hate his use of it?

Wouldn't the party dissolve, potentially in the middle of the quest, if Alex starts turning evil?
Cakedaddy wrote: Are we playing characters with their own agendas, or playing as a group of friends playing by the numbers to win the game?
I think we erred out of the gate. Our characters needed to meet and talk about our backstories. Notice I don't say look at each other's character sheets. I think there should be two backstories, and both are 100% true:
-Your history, skills, and motivations you tell the party. We can do it here since we forgot to on day 1. Everyone just needs to write up something that fits their character and their abilities. So to let you know Koban has a high investigative skill I would say something like, "Koban is drawn to mysteries like flies to shit."
-The second "backstory" are private motivations that should only be between you and the DM. This includes things that will help him craft the story and ensure you behave correctly. Your alignment, a species that really pisses you off, things your character loves or hates, overall goals for your character (to get rich, to become a god, etc.), etc.

If you have trouble there, here's a link to help I posted earlier about personality traits, ideals, bonds,
and flaws
. I added one of each to my character sheet before the last session. Here's a great list of other fictional characters and their alignments to help you there.

USING ALEX AS AN EXAMPLE:

To the party:
I was born in Tamaria (Is that a D&D place?), but never knew my parents. I was taken in by a less than successful inventor and raised to be open minded about the workings of the world. He taught me to question why things are done a certain way, and to search for better ways. "The impossible doesn't exist until you tell yourself it does" is something he always told me. I always had a natural curiosity and talent for magic, and I'm always looking for way to improve. I want to not only improve my own skills, but possibly the magic itself. Material goods mean little to me except as a means to achieving my goals of knowledge. I want to leave a positive mark on the world and inspire others.

To the DM:
Alex the Artist is a fledgling wizard with an inquisitive mind. He doesn't have evil in his heart, but sees the merit in some of the dark magics. He knows he doesn't want to embrace the darkness, but would love to use a spell or two. He generally keeps this a secret from others because he knows how people generally look upon dark magic. If he began going too far he would probably lie to himself thinking he could control it. Alex is arrogant in his thinking about magic. He truly believes he can do what others have tried to do and failed. He desires to be looked upon as the greatest wizard to have ever lived. He has no desire to hurt anyone while achieving this goal, but if that happens, he feels like he can live with it.

I'm guessing the backstory stuff is why the Roll20 site doesn't allow us to see one another's sheets? If I was playing a thief and you had access to my sheet, you'd be real world tipped off if my gold count was significantly higher or if my character background had something like "kills one party member after a quest".

What we also shouldn't be discussing in character is, "I'm a +6 on investigation rolls", "BeeDee glares at Zelda wondering if her lady parts are bleeding and the animals are smelling it", or "my alignment is neutral". In those cases, we're breaking the story and playing numbers. Shouldn't those things be: "Let me, I'm good at figuring things out", "BeeDee says to Zelda, 'Are you bleeding? I just want to know if hostile animals will know we're coming.", and "I don't care what you do."?

I mean, am I correct in this? I get that we'll have to break character, possibly a lot, to ask questions and whatnot, but we have to maintain characters AND ensure they don't know what we know. So if Gordon knows I kill a party member after each quest I go on, he can't have BeeDee take steps to prevent that.

FYI: That will NOT be a thing my character does. He's Chaotic Good.

I assume that we plan to stick together as a party, and thus, share the wealth going forward giving the proper items to the proper classes/person. So hopefully no evil wizards will turn on us and try to kill us all.

And btw Troy, can I start rolling Investigative instead of Perception when we walk into an area? I get 0 Perception bonus, but I'm a +5 on Investigative. Are they really that different? Koban's class, skills, and alignment all point to him being into mysteries and whatnot, but he can't walk into a room and see anything? Is he Mr. Magoo?